IGNORED

Mark Sykes Signed (Confirmed)

32 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Inconsistent is what’s not to like. And attitude.  Maybe Pearson improves both of those things though. Time will tell 

The Devil’s advocate in me questions “attitude or is it ambition”, i.e. he is striving for better than Oxford now that they’re remaining in Lg1.  I don’t know the answer, not looking for one either, just two sides to that coin.

I still think of Nahki Wells and all of the “he doesn’t want to be here” type comments because he doesn’t smile much. Yet every interview he does or stuff we hear (via Nige in the main) is the exact opposite.  Yeah he wants minutes, but he’s still been a good pro, mentoring the Conway’s and Bell’s etc.

Assuming Sykes signs he will get my full support, start with a blank sheet, etc, etc.

…and finally, Karl Robinson is a bit of a cock (outsider view looking in). ???

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'm just impressed that we've got so many posters who've seen so many Oxford matches to be able to form a definitive opinion.

I can only speak from the experience of my one trip to Oxford. But what I saw that day was that Tony Pulis was our manager, Steve Phillips made a lot of mistakes and we lost 3-0. From everything I've seen, Mark Sykes seems to be a footballer of some description but there seems to be uncertainty across the board about what his actual position is. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The Devil’s advocate in me questions “attitude or is it ambition”, i.e. he is striving for better than Oxford now that they’re remaining in Lg1.  I don’t know the answer, not looking for one either, just two sides to that coin.

I still think of Nahki Wells and all of the “he doesn’t want to be here” type comments because he doesn’t smile much. Yet every interview he does or stuff we hear (via Nige in the main) is the exact opposite.  Yeah he wants minutes, but he’s still been a good pro, mentoring the Conway’s and Bell’s etc.

Assuming Sykes signs he will get my full support, start with a blank sheet, etc, etc.

…and finally, Karl Robinson is a bit of a cock (outsider view looking in). ???

Yepp, I've been wondering this. When Oxford fans say "he has a bad attitude" does that actually mean "He won't sign a new contract"?

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yepp, I've been wondering this. When Oxford fans say "he has a bad attitude" does that actually mean "He won't sign a new contract"?

Reading their forum - they felt that he basically switched off partway through season knowing he was off, and appearing disinterested 

Their overall suggestion is that he was very good for 6 months of his time there

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Would this be instead of or as well as Kane Wilson, if we were interior course?

I still think we might see a RB too.  I’m not expecting Wilson, purely because I think he may have better options and secondly, going with two 22 year old RBs from Lg2 with little Champ experience between them might be seen as a bigger gamble than Vyner and Simpson was last summer.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

22 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I only saw him once, and there was not much to write home about,  but others have described him  as a talent but inconsistent. The Oxford sports reporter said the same, talent but inconsistent. So having talent and being inconsistent, seems a consistent view. 

If City think we can get what we need from him, then that's ok for me. 

I’ve never seen him and wasn’t impressed. 
:disapointed2se:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/mark-sykes-shouldnt-play-for-us-again.7808/page-18

Oxford fans views / opinions on Sykes

And a highlights clip

Seems a strange one , but faith in NP

I love these player montages they make the player look like a world beater i remember one of Baz Savage making him look like Messi ;)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/mark-sykes-shouldnt-play-for-us-again.7808/page-18

And a highlights clip

Was reading there forum the other day about this. Thing with football fans like Oxford now if he signs a new contract with them they would be over the moon. But cause he doesn’t want to play for them he’s this and that. I trust NP and hope MS is as good as the last Oxford player we signed .

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Certainly be interesting to see where we think he fits in, I just can’t see him as a wing back.

Pearson talked recently about needing more goals from midfield & 8 in a season for a non penalty taker isn’t shabby, though of course it is one division down.

As a squad option, good age, versatile, not going to be a big earner, you can see the point in this, I just hope he gets a settled role rather than becomes a back up option in a couple of positions.

• Like 1

If we were to land Sykes, Davies and Wilson (the three who have been heaviest linked) nice and early then that's 3 of our biggest problems solved straight away. Can't imagine any of them asking for extravagant wages so also ticks a lot of boxes from a FFP/Budget point of view.

From limited clips I've seen Sykes looks very versatile and can play anywhere behind the front three, we've desperately lacked width that isn't wing backs so this signing ticks a lot of boxes I think. Slightly concerned by some of the comments from people who have seen more of him but hopefully the step up with better players makes a difference and actually brings another level to him as well.

Very very early days but encouraged by the types of player we are being linked with so far, if we can land a few we'll be in a stronger spot than at the start of last season. Not expecting miracles next season but if we can avoid a relegation battle  then its a massive step forward!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Was reading there forum the other day about this. Thing with football fans like Oxford now if he signs a new contract with them they would be over the moon. But cause he doesn’t want to play for them he’s this and that. I trust NP and hope MS is as good as the last Oxford player we signed .

But not the last but one? 

• Haha 4

Seems like quite a versatile player maybe, which gives us options. Also quite young still so perhaps that reduces the risk a little. Doesn't stand out as someone who should be playing a division higher up though from what I've seen; but then as others have said Pearson and our scouting team probably know what to look for more than I do!

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

And a highlights clip

Very much a strange one ..

Reading some of that,,we already have a song for him....

All we need to do is change the words from "Mary Mary quite contrary" and job done ?

Edited by Son of Fred