IGNORED

Mark Sykes Signed (Confirmed)

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Strikes me like a Luke Freeman type of player. He is clearly not the finished article and maybe never will be but he has potential and on a free transfer it could be a good bit of business as competition for George Tanner or a winger if we change tactics . 

Fluff was a great attacking player but he had no bottle and couldnt tackle to save his life, lets hope Sykes is a tougher player than him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westonred said:

I love these player montages they make the player look like a world beater i remember one of Baz Savage making him look like Messi ;)

Of course - I have tbh I knew very little about him so my research consists of any highlights clips to give you a glimpse of him as a player and what he can do , then a big read of any comments about him over the last couple of years on his own Clubs forum (I do find if you read them all , exclude any with a clear agenda , you get a reasonable feel for the player)

I’m interested where we are looking him to operate -

He doesn’t sound like a Champ wing back without real work on his defensive ability

Maybe an option wide in a front three ?

He appears to have assets and a capability as a ‘10’ but a big ask at Champ level to justify that role

I like the fact that he appears to have decent pace and ‘running’ ability / capacity

I do trust NP so we will see 

30 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Not seen this anywhere else other the transfer pages but mark sykes undergoing his medical today with us. Great were getting the signings in early 

19 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Was reading there forum the other day about this. Thing with football fans like Oxford now if he signs a new contract with them they would be over the moon. But cause he doesn’t want to play for them he’s this and that. I trust NP and hope MS is as good as the last Oxford player we signed .

Yep, a case of "fans slag off player who wants to leave shock."

We know that Nigel has watched him at least once and has met with him at least twice. Doubtless he has plenty of data on him as well. I'll settle for that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Given we are apparently after Wilson as well it seems unlikely we see Sykes as a wing back.

I think he might be a bit of a utility player, sounds as though he can play RWB, outright winger, 10 and CM so lots of options. Good age and free, decent League 1 pedigree, looks a solid signing.

Even being reported on BBC now, this will be over the line today. 

• Like 1

Got a feeling NP might try and use Sykes in the same mould as he uses Weimann, he could be his understudy. Might not be a starter straight away, but sounds very similar to how Weimann is used for us (Wide in a front 3, in behind the front 2, winger, RWB).

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 14:01, LondonBristolian said:

I can only speak from the experience of my one trip to Oxford. But what I saw that day was that Tony Pulis was our manager, Steve Phillips made a lot of mistakes and we lost 3-0. From everything I've seen, Mark Sykes seems to be a footballer of some description but there seems to be uncertainty across the board about what his actual position is. 

Just the mere sight of that man's name has ruined my day. It should be added to the swear filter ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Got a feeling NP might try and use Sykes in the same mould as he uses Weimann, he could be his understudy. Might not be a starter straight away, but sounds very similar to how Weimann is used for us (Wide in a front 3, in behind the front 2, winger, RWB).

The thought had crossed my mind too.

Nige on 20Man tonight.  Coincidence or what….?

41 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I would guess he's been bought to play 10 or either side of a front 3.  Wilson will be the one to compete with Tanner...

9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Yep these are the impressions I get. I know NP has said he sees a front 3 as a 2 with 1 behind. I do think it could be a more conventional 433 though depending on who we sign. Maybe a cm in a 3 too but with two stronger players. Maybe we don’t get a DM(not by choice but by not right target available)and we play a double pivot with more of a 10 role with 1 striker and two wingers. Sykes could play in any of the 3 behind the striker. 

Regardless of how the move goes, it is the type we should be looking at on a free. Obviously there needs to be a mix but a couple like this is low risk and high reward. At worst you have a versatile contributor from the bench at low cost for a season. 

• Like 3

Definitely trust NP on this one.

He'll have done his homework to make sure (as far as possible) that Sykes is the sort of player and character to contribute positively here.

Pretty sure in our 118 year history we've never had a player called Sykes before.

If he turns out to be a bit of a nutter, time for a return of the old Glen Humphries chant, 'PSYCHO, PSYCHO!'

Or even if he doesn't perhaps? :dunno:

Had this through from the NTT20 guys..

He runs all day, good speed, stamina, quite a hectic player I would say, more hustle than precision. I didn’t think he was good enough technically for the Championship a year ago but it does seem like that’s improved a lot this season.

His versatility I guess is a skill because there’s a spot for him in all systems, but also makes him one of those players where I couldn’t confidently say where he’d play for you? Imo he’s more effective in the outside areas of the pitch where there’s more space.

Right now I’d say he should be a good squad player at the very least, so to pick him up nice and early on a free seems like good business.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Had this through from the NTT20 guys..

He runs all day, good speed, stamina, quite a hectic player I would say, more hustle than precision. I didn’t think he was good enough technically for the Championship a year ago but it does seem like that’s improved a lot this season.

His versatility I guess is a skill because there’s a spot for him in all systems, but also makes him one of those players where I couldn’t confidently say where he’d play for you? Imo he’s more effective in the outside areas of the pitch where there’s more space.

Right now I’d say he should be a good squad player at the very least, so to pick him up nice and early on a free seems like good business.

Sounds a lot like Weimann

• Like 1

I know very little of him but perhaps he’s been signed to play a ‘Wagstaff’ role. Won’t be an 8/10 every week, but will be someone with energy, works hard, who can come in and play a run of games in different positions when needed.

He’s got pace, he will add width, good age…

Something we’ve been lacking really for a little while. I don’t mind this seeing it’s a free transfer. 

The only thing I’ve got doubts about is the lads attitude. I can only go on by what a few Oxford fans have said previously. 

Just now, Super said:

Pretty poor goalscoring record so hopefully he is more about assists. Another club in the bag though.

Is 8 goals last season really “a poor goal scoring record” for someone who played all over the pitch & doesn’t take penalties?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Is 8 goals last season really “a poor goal scoring record” for someone who played all over the pitch & doesn’t take penalties?

i was looking at 9 goals in 104 games. Agree 8 last season is pretty good.

Edited by Super

32 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Isn’t that exactly what we’re trying to avoid doing since the LJ days? 

I think the difference for me is that both LJ and Johnson Sr used "clubs in the bags" to have multiple options in the same position, which ultimately tended to leave us with an oversized squad full of players that we didn't work as a coherent unit.

I see this more as getting a player who can cover a lot of positions (but hopefully) fits with how we want to play wherever he is situated. I know nothing about him but it feels like that is the intention from what I've read about him. 

I don't necessarily think it means that Weimann is off either. The major issue with Weimann (and Martin and Semenyo) is we don't have anyone who can replicate them or play a similar role. (That's not to knock Wells, Bell or Conway - just that including them instead of Semenyo, Martin or Weimann changes the system due to the fact that they are different players). If Sykes can provide a similar energy to Weimann it means we've got cover and an option to take him off in games if needed without rethinking our entire playing style. 

The other thing I'd say is that I think it bodes well to be making a signing this early. That gives the impression that NP knows what he wants and - at least in this case - has managed to get his first choice target. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 15

4 hours ago, westonred said:

I love these player montages they make the player look like a world beater i remember one of Baz Savage making him look like Messi ;)

I doubt any type of montage could make him look good!!

Whenever someone uses the phrase "he won a competition to get a pro contract", I think of Mr Savage....