IGNORED

Wells to go

1960maaan

Not a shock, high wages and he needs/wants to play.  Just a reporters thoughts ATM, but I wouldn't be surprised. 

He could still sit on £20k plus a week for a year, though he doesn't strike me as the sort. 

Wrong time wrong place IMO, shame it didn't work out.

1619861328_Screenshot2022-05-12at12_30_39.png.b772f0bd035c3eab94e16a305af2b23b.png

To be fair, the only way we are going to get him off the wage bill is to forgo a fee for him.

Otherwise we would get a small fee, and then probably end up having to subsidise his wages with another team for the remainder of next season.

This seems the only plausible way out for both parties I think.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I have some sympathy with him.

His signing was ill thought out. He has never really fit with our style of play, whatever that is. Shunted out onto the left wing, never given a run of games up front, as he should be. Similar situation to Weimann to me, play him in the right position and he will score. 

According to NP, he is a model trainer and has asked to play for the U23's to stay fit. 

Good luck to him if he can find the right club to take him. 

Agree with this. I think it's a genuine shame with Wells and he's been quite hard done by by us.

We bought him from Burnley at a point when he was clearly settled and comfortable at QPR and I suspect we weren't his preferred move. We then didn't really have a clear plan to use him and he's played for a succession of three different managers who all haven't really found a way to make the system work to get the best out of him. 

He's been forced out wide and made to do a lot of things that were not his natural game and I think the unfortunate truth is he was the wrong singing at the wrong time and his style of play does not fit in with the team. But, when he has played this season, he has always put a shift in and - as you say - Pearson suggests his attitude is excellent. 

If he goes, I think it is the right decision but I also hope he goes somewhere that get the best out of him and let him show how good he can undoubtedly be. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 12

I echo that I think he has been hard done by us. There was a lot of shouting for a proven championship striker - we bought one and had no idea how to fit him in. Lesson learned - championship quality isn't always a good idea and the right player is more important than the best player.

Selling him for free would be expected IMHO, it's his contract that's the problem and I can't see anyone taking him on without us funding some of his contract - not sure how to get past that.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Where has there been mention of Palmer?

Seriously?

Anyone who doesn’t think we are absolutely desperate to get that waste of space off the books is deluded.

People are lumping him & Wells together & we definitely want to move both on, but in certain aspects the contrast is massive.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I can't see any of the players we want to get off the wage bill jumping at the first option, unless of course it is an unbelievable offer (unlikely).

For the most part, their agents will be touting them around, and they will review the options after probably a holiday or something like that.

All of this doesn't help RG with the budgeting for next season of course. Who would want to be him at the moment.....??? ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I echo that I think he has been hard done by us. There was a lot of shouting for a proven championship striker - we bought one and had no idea how to fit him in. Lesson learned - championship quality isn't always a good idea and the right player is more important than the best player.

Selling him for free would be expected IMHO, it's his contract that's the problem and I can't see anyone taking him on without us funding some of his contract - not sure how to get past that.

Didn't we do some sort of deal with Burnley as well around the Brownhill deal, to make it work financially for us?

Probably blinded us somewhat to the type of player we were buying.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I agree with this by and large. LJ ably assisted by MA wanted a new toy and had no clue what to do with it. Rather like the kids who want something for Christmas that spend all day playing with the box. I was gutted for the guy when he got shunted wide, which of course happened with Afobi. Both of them behaved like model pros, but Afobi did say I’ll play anywhere for the team, which rather sounded like this bloke is clueless. Mr Pearson wants to play a certain way particularly going forward and Mr Wells simply isn’t part of that, however as Pearson has said the bloke is a model pro and clearly likes the fella! The only thing that makes sense is letting the guy go on a free and agree to make up what ever wage he gets to his current level for the remaining 12 months. 

As someone said earlier the Palmer situation is different. My personal opinion is there is a whole hell of a lot more to it than meets the eye! For a guy of that ability to just disappear is not fathomable, unless there was some other deep seated issue. I have wondered whether there is some issue that is not injury related akin to the ‘can of worms’ with the full back a few years ago, but I know nothing, purely speculation.

The bigger issue is these two had a combine value at signing of over ten million. And without hammering this point home again (yes I know I am) is why we have FFP issues and now have to sell players that we/the club/Pearson have developed to pay for the idiocy of those that were in power. What truly bugs me is the constant referral to the Simpson bloke/failed signing as the stick to beat Pearson with. The development and sale of a Scott Semenyo Atkinson and even Weimann at 30 years of age is going to have to pay for the idiocy of the past and Pearson deserves massive credit for that (which to be fair many give him)

30 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 10

30 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Didn't we do some sort of deal with Burnley as well around the Brownhill deal, to make it work financially for us?

From memory we got £9m out of Burnley for Josh (who might well have been OoC that summer?) but it appeared clear that one condition for that was we paid £5m for Wells, even though the deals went through separately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

From memory we got £9m out of Burnley for Josh (who might well have been OoC that summer?) but it appeared clear that one condition for that was we paid £5m for Wells, even though the deals went through separately.

Sounds like something Ashton would do. You scratch my back etc....

I suspect that many saw Wells's signing as giving us the 20 goal a season striker we lacked.

The irony is that that 20 goal a season striker was here all the time!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Didn't Josh have a release clause in his contract as well? 

I think you're right about him going out of contract the next summer.

Post also reporting the club want Andy King to stay another year due to his “ professionalism and influence on the younger players”

The same virtues  have widely been attributed to Nakhi Wells too, but given the difference in wages they obviously come at a price.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I suspect that many saw Wells's signing as giving us the 20 goal a season striker we lacked.

The irony is that that 20 goal a season striker was here all the time!

The proper irony is that he nearly did in the 19/20 season. It was just that 75% of them were for QPR.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol City sign two strikers for combined 10 million plus pounds plus wages. And both could walk out of the club with no money back. No wonder we are in financial mess. ******* joke IMO

When you factor in other signings in the Summer 2019, the overall loss on those transfers of fees/wages is staggering.

Best to have a stiff drink beforehand.....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Wells wants to play, it is not a given he will not contribute to the move. There is always a compromise to be found. He does not want another season like this one at his age. 

Yeah I agree but I guess it's a balance he will have to make - 25k PW here not playing or likely 8k PW for next 3 years maybe playing, I guess it depends on what his expenses look like right now and if he can afford a more than 60% cut to his wages.

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

My understanding (FWIW) is that it ended up being more like:

Brownhill £7m (from £9m)

Wells £3m (from £5m) plus £1m promotion

because that suited both clubs, mainly city in terms of paying less sell-on percentage to Preston as a result.

Had City sold elsewhere they’d have wanted £9m, but as they could buy Wells, they lowered both fees.

Could be total bollax, but the fee balances quite nicely with the club’s accounts too…so no reason to doubt person who told me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Yeah I agree but I guess it's a balance he will have to make - 25k PW here not playing or likely 8k PW for next 3 years maybe playing, I guess it depends on what his expenses look like right now and if he can afford a more than 60% cut to his wages.

Maybe we pay him £8k pw for 3 seasons and his new club gives him the same. Means we save on wages but not sure how it would work out on his transfer fee amortisation wise if he goes for nothing.

• Like 1