IGNORED

Wells to go

1960maaan

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Didn't we do some sort of deal with Burnley as well around the Brownhill deal, to make it work financially for us?

Probably blinded us somewhat to the type of player we were buying.

With Swiss dealing, I'm sure there was no need.

SD: Ok, Mark. You can have NW for £2.5M with a 30% of profit sell on clause

Swiss: Shaun, I don't like that. I'm going to have to insist on paying £5M with no sell on. Sorry to play hardball, but that's life at the top. Take it or leave it.

SD: Er, ok Mark. That's, um, fine. I'd shake on it but I can't seem to get a grip on your hand ...

(I see I've somewhat missed most of the point in the post I'm responding to. Oh well :))

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sinenomine said:

I have some sympathy with him.

His signing was ill thought out. He has never really fit with our style of play, whatever that is. Shunted out onto the left wing, never given a run of games up front, as he should be. Similar situation to Weimann to me, play him in the right position and he will score. 

According to NP, he is a model trainer and has asked to play for the U23's to stay fit. 

Good luck to him if he can find the right club to take him. 

Yep I do feel  sorry For wells having had a good record With Huddersfield at this level and a good season with QPR.  . Also since Eliasson left we have had no wingers which a poacher like Wells thrives on  .   I Wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in another champ team who play with either wingers or one up top .

With  his wages being so high  unless Semenyo is Sold or we sign another striker, we won't see Wells moved on/loaned out until the latter stages of the window if at all.

What if.....
Semenyo gets sold and we offered Wells a two year contract spreading his wages over a longer period?
Not saying I'm up for that, obviously they're different types of player but IF we can't get rid of him (Wells) then at least have him play. IF we got a good offer for Semenyo and we didn't stand in his way then the dynamic could change.
Personally can't see it happening but it's the one thing I haven't seen anyone else mention!!! ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Quite, although I got my hopes raised for a second. More chance of Lord Lucan romping home in the Grand National on Shergar.

Ridiculous - Shergar has only ever raced on the flat.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

What if.....
Semenyo gets sold and we offered Wells a two year contract spreading his wages over a longer period?
Not saying I'm up for that, obviously they're different types of player but IF we can't get rid of him (Wells) then at least have him play. IF we got a good offer for Semenyo and we didn't stand in his way then the dynamic could change.
Personally can't see it happening but it's the one thing I haven't seen anyone else mention!!! ?

Would be a prudent financial decision if he was gonna get “minutes on the pitch”.

A panic January buy to `get us over the line` and respond to criticism from fans in recent years when we hadn`t done that. If we`d have played him how we should have I`m sure he would have been more of a success. I don`t buy all the `doesn`t want to be here` crap, it`s just his natural manner (remember Brett Pitman was just the same?).

Good luck Nahki wherever you end up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

When you factor in other signings in the Summer 2019, the overall loss on those transfers of fees/wages is staggering.

Best to have a stiff drink beforehand.....

And people still fail to believe that the combination of Lansdown, Swiss and Johnson caused this mess we are in?.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree with this. I think it's a genuine shame with Wells and he's been quite hard done by by us.

We bought him from Burnley at a point when he was clearly settled and comfortable at QPR and I suspect we weren't his preferred move. We then didn't really have a clear plan to use him and he's played for a succession of three different managers who all haven't really found a way to make the system work to get the best out of him. 

He's been forced out wide and made to do a lot of things that were not his natural game and I think the unfortunate truth is he was the wrong singing at the wrong time and his style of play does not fit in with the team. But, when he has played this season, he has always put a shift in and - as you say - Pearson suggests his attitude is excellent. 

If he goes, I think it is the right decision but I also hope he goes somewhere that get the best out of him and let him show how good he can undoubtedly be. 

Sorry to be contrary but I disagree with most of this post.

He joined us of his own free will and probably had other options. He/his agent were well aware of what expectations and plans we had for him and we on the forum have no idea what those conversations were.

Right from the start Wells looked like he was lacking in quality and other than a few (not many) goals, he never looked like the lethal finisher we expected.

No manager in their right mind would play Wells out of position, or even bench him, if they thought he had the talent. But three managers in succession found him to be lacking.

I've got nothing against him, but I really don't think he was good enough for us and it goes down as poor recruitment in my very humble opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Didn't Josh have a release clause in his contract as well? 

I think you're right about him going out of contract the next summer.

Story was that he had a £7m release clause that kicked in that summer.  Can only guess that was a flat £7m, no add-ons, no sell-on percentage, no nothing.  Ashton, himself answered the Q - “has Josh got a release clause” with a very carefully worded reply (paraphrased) “that’s commercially sensitive info, but no, Josh does not have a release clause…[slight pause]….this window [lower decibel]”.

Doing the deal in January was to allow us to add in clauses to maximise the money we could get.  No criticism of Ashton on that.  With potentially £9m (see earlier post re £7m eventual fee - allegedly), we had the opportunity to play the field for whatever players we needed.  Was £5m (see same earlier post re £3m) for a 29 year old striker from Burnley with a decent scoring record, enjoying a purple patch at QPR  the right choice.  Why constrain the pond you’re fishing in to Burnley…Vydra and Wells?  With the money we were prepared the spend, why not look further afield.  Imho we missed a trick.  Couple that with Wells alleged wages, it wasn’t a great deal financially either.

Whilst I accept that Wells has not produced what we hoped for, he is still a good player and will be just the job at some other club. What really made me notice was the club's readiness to release an expensive player with a year's contract left for nothing. Are we in such financial worry that Wells might the first of several? Might seem like we are bailing out as the waters rise.

Just now, Erithacus said:

Whilst I accept that Wells has not produced what we hoped for, he is still a good player and will be just the job at some other club. What really made me notice was the club's readiness to release an expensive player with a year's contract left for nothing. Are we in such financial worry that Wells might the first of several? Might seem like we are bailing out as the waters rise.

Until he actually leaves and we see the terms of that move, I wouldn’t read too much into it.  We haven’t even see. Retained List yet.

6 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Firstly, it's newspaper talk until City say otherwise. It will be a long summer and no doubt there will be a few of these stories.

Secondly, he never starts and rarely gets on. So as an asset he's surplus to requirements , for whatever reason, Nige doesn't fancy him.
                  On £20+ k a week, that could free up wages for 2/3 players, or make us look better in the eyes of FFP. 

Circumstances dictate things change, interesting summer ahead.

I don't think he was ever brought in with a resale value in mind, so it was always likely he could leave for nothing at some time. It's just not how we saw t happening. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

I don't know that Nige doesn't fancy Wells, his comments suggest he considers him a good professional, but with W(eston)-S(uper)-M(are) playing so well as a unit there is just no place for him in the starting line up. Unless circumstances change he is not going to get minutes and it's best for both parties if he moves on. 

20 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't know that Nige doesn't fancy Wells, his comments suggest he considers him a good professional, but with W(eston)-S(uper)-M(are) playing so well as a unit there is just no place for him in the starting line up. Unless circumstances change he is not going to get minutes and it's best for both parties if he moves on. 

The fact he's barely got a start, and if it wasn't for an injury he'd barely get any minutes at all sort of says he isn't in Pearson's plans.
The fact he is a good character and a good professional has nothing to do with how Nige sees the set up of the team. 
I hope he goes abroad , as you know he will come back and score against us.