Jump to content
IGNORED

Sporting Quarter Planning Application


NcnsBcfc
 Share

Recommended Posts

Planning Application Submitted For Sporting Quarter | Bristol Sport (bristol-sport.co.uk)

With all of the recent talk on OTIB and podcasts of when the Lansdowns may go. I've had a look online at the Sporting Quarter Planning application.

According to this (and I can find any other update past 2nd week of July 2021). The application was due to be heard before the end of 2021, with a proposed start of work at the end of this year (2022).

Does anybody know what's happening at all, or had any other update?

I think this is a legacy project, with ramifications over SL etc walking away afterwards in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@NcnsBcfc I think it is the application found here: https://pa.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QUDIACDNHQI00&activeTab=summary

Made on June 8 2021 for "Demolition of existing buildings and the phased redevelopment of the site to comprise a sports and convention centre, a hotel, 125 residential units, office accommodation, retail, gym, club museum, multi-storey car park, public realm improvements and landscaping, new internal access routes, new and improved vehicular and pedestrian accesses and infrastructure and other associated works and improvements on land west of Ashton Gate Stadium. (Major)." on "Land To The West Of Ashton Gate Stadium Ashton Road Bristol BS3 2EJ" and made by Esteban Investments Limited - which a search at Companies House shows is owned by Pula Sport Ltd, the same Guernsey based company that SL uses to own City (via the Holdco).

Seems to still be pending.

People are still submitting comments. One document submitted by the Environment Agency in April 2022 suggests that the Old Colliters Brook is causing flooding concerns and preparatory works need to be done to resolve that. Seems to be a pretty major issue.

So it is still being planned basically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@NcnsBcfc I think it is the application found here: https://pa.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QUDIACDNHQI00&activeTab=summary

Made on June 8 2021 for "Demolition of existing buildings and the phased redevelopment of the site to comprise a sports and convention centre, a hotel, 125 residential units, office accommodation, retail, gym, club museum, multi-storey car park, public realm improvements and landscaping, new internal access routes, new and improved vehicular and pedestrian accesses and infrastructure and other associated works and improvements on land west of Ashton Gate Stadium. (Major)." on "Land To The West Of Ashton Gate Stadium Ashton Road Bristol BS3 2EJ" and made by Esteban Investments Limited - which a search at Companies House shows is owned by Pula Sport Ltd, the same Guernsey based company that SL uses to own City (via the Holdco).

Seems to still be pending.

People are still submitting comments. One document submitted by the Environment Agency in April 2022 suggests that the Old Colliters Brook is causing flooding concerns and preparatory works need to be done to resolve that. Seems to be a pretty major issue.

So it is still being planned basically.

Thanks @ExiledAjaxand @Davefevs

So we haven't got any Nimbeys as yet ? 🤣

But also it doesn't seem to have gone before any planning committee either, am i right there?

When Bristol Sport put the application in just under a year ago. They were quoting end of 2021 for the aforementioned committee. If people are still submitting comments, with no end date to make those comments (unlike the HPC in Failand application); then we must be some way off in terms of any form of approval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's got a massive enabling proposal of houses in Ashton Vale.  

Anyone seriously thinking that would just fly through planning is utterly deluded.

Ah, got you. Enabling as in, without the housing application at Ashton Vale it's a non starter. Or will SL just get pi##ed off again;a nd go ahead regardless?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ha, I'll leave it to you to dig through the comments and gauge how positive/negative they all are.

I love the way on any given road (say Smyth road for example). No .99 says "fantastic, No.95 "Awful".

The wonders of a local planning application.

It's all gone to pot since @GrahamC left the department.

@CyderInACan have a word with your neighbours for god sake....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I love the way on any given road (say Smyth road for example). No .99 says "fantastic, No.95 "Awful".

The wonders of a local planning application.

It's all gone to pot since @GrahamC left the department.

@CyderInACan have a word with your neighbours for god sake....

No 97 is sat on the fence!!!  Whose fence I don’t know though 🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

It's got a massive enabling proposal of houses in Ashton Vale.  

Anyone seriously thinking that would just fly through planning is utterly deluded.

I’d rather Ashton Vale was given over as a travellers camp, they’re much needed in the area and it will be a charitable move that will further endear SL to the locals.

  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Planning Application Submitted For Sporting Quarter | Bristol Sport (bristol-sport.co.uk)

With all of the recent talk on OTIB and podcasts of when the Lansdowns may go. I've had a look online at the Sporting Quarter Planning application.

According to this (and I can find any other update past 2nd week of July 2021). The application was due to be heard before the end of 2021, with a proposed start of work at the end of this year (2022).

Does anybody know what's happening at all, or had any other update?

I think this is a legacy project, with ramifications over SL etc walking away afterwards in my opinion.

These things take time !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

These things take time !

Absolutely, the new stadium fiasco showed that 10 years ago.

But Bristol Sport made headlines June 2021 by promoting it. Saying end of the year for the decision, then building starts end of 2022.

Completely understand there will be the usual delays. But communication is somewhat lacking a year on.

Exile posted the application earlier, and there was no closing date for comments (unlike the HPC application). So who knows at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

I’d rather Ashton Vale was given over as a travellers camp, they’re much needed in the area and it will be a charitable move that will further endear SL to the locals.

I`ve always been in favour of a huge waste incinerator serving the entire greater Bristol area myself.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I love the way on any given road (say Smyth road for example). No .99 says "fantastic, No.95 "Awful".

The wonders of a local planning application.

It's all gone to pot since @GrahamC left the department.

@CyderInACan have a word with your neighbours for god sake....

Planning has never been my “department”.😂

My hunch is that the objections on the housing side won’t be the scale of issue they would in the past, as huge numbers of large scale housing developments are going through at present.

This is just a guess though, don’t assume I know anything here..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Planning has never been my “department”.😂

My hunch is that the objections on the housing side won’t be the scale of issue they would in the past, as huge numbers of large scale housing developments are going through at present.

This is just a guess though, don’t assume I know anything here..

Most of the objections are based on parking in surrounding streets - basically "It's already really busy and impossible for me to park on match days, this will create more days like that. Please provide more parking.". I suspect (although I am no expert) that parking is a surmountable issue. From a scan of them I couldn't see any that fundamentally objected to the development. I don't think local opposition will be what holds this up.

Edited by ExiledAjax
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

comprise a sports and convention centre, a hotel, 125 residential units, office accommodation, retail, gym, club museum, multi-storey car park, public realm improvements and landscaping, new internal access routes, new and improved vehicular and pedestrian accesses and infrastructure and other associated works and improvements on land west of Ashton Gate Stadium.

"How will Lansdown make money out of Bristol Sport"

 

That's for all the ostriches that couldn't work it out before.

He couldn't do it when WE owned the stadium.

He spent £220 million over 20 yrs......

 

How much will he get back in rental income from a 330 day per year convention centre, car-park, offices and SELLING 125 homes PLUS all the houses and 2 other hotels,shops etc going up on old dirt cheap brown land in the near future.

 

Plus AG and the 3 sports 'franchises'.....

 

Not to mention the apartments and existing offices that have already lined his pockets.

 

You'll be saying his clean water project in Africa (Botswana) - that came with a drilling licence - just 'happened' to find oil and gemstones by accident..........

 

Good old Uncle Steve - selfless benefactor don't you know.

 

Sooner the Lansdowns leave, the better.

 

"My Money, My Club"

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Hmmm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

"How will Lansdown make money out of Bristol Sport"

 

That's for all the ostriches that couldn't work it out before.

He couldn't do it when WE owned the stadium.

He spent £220 million over 20 yrs......

 

How much will he get back in rental income from a 330 day per year convention centre, car-park, offices and SELLING 125 homes PLUS all the houses and 2 other hotels,shops etc going up on old dirt cheap brown land in the near future.

 

Plus AG and the 3 sports 'franchises'.....

 

Not to mention the apartments and existing offices that have already lined his pockets.

 

You'll be saying his clean water project in Africa (Botswana) - that came with a drilling licence - just 'happened' to find oil and gemstones by accident..........

 

Good old Uncle Steve - selfless benefactor don't you know.

 

Sooner the Lansdowns leave, the better.

 

"My Money, My Club"

But apart from that, you quite like him right?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

"How will Lansdown make money out of Bristol Sport"

 

That's for all the ostriches that couldn't work it out before.

He couldn't do it when WE owned the stadium.

He spent £220 million over 20 yrs......

 

How much will he get back in rental income from a 330 day per year convention centre, car-park, offices and SELLING 125 homes PLUS all the houses and 2 other hotels,shops etc going up on old dirt cheap brown land in the near future.

 

Plus AG and the 3 sports 'franchises'.....

 

Not to mention the apartments and existing offices that have already lined his pockets.

 

You'll be saying his clean water project in Africa (Botswana) - that came with a drilling licence - just 'happened' to find oil and gemstones by accident..........

 

Good old Uncle Steve - selfless benefactor don't you know.

 

Sooner the Lansdowns leave, the better.

 

"My Money, My Club"

Yes... How dare he try and actually make money... He should just continue to chuck away millions of pounds every year... 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 15:56, NcnsBcfc said:

Ah, got you. Enabling as in, without the housing application at Ashton Vale it's a non starter. Or will SL just get pi##ed off again;a nd go ahead regardless?

 It's a good idea but please don't pretend you're doing it out the goodness of your heart.  The enabling thing is horseshit.  He's just trying to maximise his profits that's all. The sporting quarter thing would work without the houses. 

It just gives the houses greater chance of approval if they're designated as enabling something more sexy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Anyone would think the locals moved in before the large football stadium was built there and have had to out up with the traffic ever since

To be fair though, not too many years ago, before the council stopped it, there were hundreds of places to park without being outside someone`s house. Along the Cumberland Basin, up Rownham Hill, the road up to the primary school, the road up to Ashton Court and all along the first bit of the Long Ashton bypass. I even remember being able to park on the flyover at the end of Winterstoke Road. I can`t recall there being carnage on the roads because of it.

That`s what the problem is now IMO, a lack of alternatives. We used to be able to rock up at 2:30 and have no problem parking in somewhere like Raynes Road - no chance now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

To be fair though, not too many years ago, before the council stopped it, there were hundreds of places to park without being outside someone`s house. Along the Cumberland Basin, up Rownham Hill, the road up to the primary school, the road up to Ashton Court and all along the first bit of the Long Ashton bypass. I even remember being able to park on the flyover at the end of Winterstoke Road. I can`t recall there being carnage on the roads because of it.

That`s what the problem is now IMO, a lack of alternatives. We used to be able to rock up at 2:30 and have no problem parking in somewhere like Raynes Road - no chance now.

I remember that well too.  Though I don’t agree fully that there’s not alternatives available, the Park and Ride services on match day for example - thing is, great for large crowds, but they won’t be running for conferences or Flyers games. 
 

I guess you could say the Metro Bus also now serves Ashton Gate, but given that the stop is so far away, it’s not overly attractive alternative. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I remember that well too.  Though I don’t agree fully that there’s not alternatives available, the Park and Ride services on match day for example - thing is, great for large crowds, but they won’t be running for conferences or Flyers games. 
 

I guess you could say the Metro Bus also now serves Ashton Gate, but given that the stop is so far away, it’s not overly attractive alternative. 

There's a multi storey car park in the plans, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...