IGNORED

Eurovision Song Contest

RedZepperin

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure it’s ridiculous to vote for a country at war. Not surprising really 

It is really,is it a song contest or not

7 minutes ago, Mr Roper said:

Seems like the war has reunited us with Europe ,couldnt buy a vote before ,now we have got behind Ukraine we arent the Europe hating Brits they thought we were ,

And Germany and France are still hated it seems 

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I’ve not got a problem with people voting for a country,  in a singing contest, that is being attacked by another. A good show of solidarity. Guess we all see things differently!

7 hours ago, Mr Roper said:

Seems like the war has reunited us with Europe ,couldnt buy a vote before ,now we have got behind Ukraine we arent the Europe hating Brits they thought we were ,

We couldn't buy a vote because we kept entering awful songs performed by terrible performers.

This year we tried a decent song performed by somebody with a bit of charisma.

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I don't really watch, I had Mansfield on the Laptop. That's not just because I really dislike the whole freak show, but as it's been a joke for years.

When was the last time it was a real music or song competition ? 70's ? 80's maybe ?
Everyone puts in rubbish song now and again, but the number of times we struggled for votes could not have been for musical reasons. Last night, when I did watch you could call a lot of the votes as Countries still voted for their neighbour. Last night you knew the Ukraine would get a massive sympathy vote.
I think you have to categorise as an entertainment show, and if you like it fill yer boots. 
My Mrs and her sisters love it, friends love it , TBF I did quite enjoy the piss taking on Twitter, but its not for me.
I'm with you, if it's a song contest it should be about the song.
As for the voting, how does the public vote actually work ? The numbers are strange in the extreme . About 180 for the UK, can't be individual votes surely. Is it some percentage ? 

9 hours ago, MarcusX said:

What is going on?!

Apparently not…

Spoke too soon ?

I’m glad the jury’s didn’t all just plough their votes into Ukraine which made it more interesting. Of course the public did their bit, almost every country giving 12 points to Ukraine. Really happy to see them win and even happier to see the right wing meltdown on Twitter 

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

As for the voting, how does the public vote actually work ? The numbers are strange in the extreme . About 180 for the UK, can't be individual votes surely. Is it some percentage

It's the same points system as the juries. The public vote of each country is divided up into points, but countries can't vote for themselves.

So if the UK public vote was like this:

Ukraine - 34,365 votes

Spain - 15,326 votes

Sweden - 10,532 votes

Then the UK public vote would be 12 points for Ukraine, 10 points for Spain etc etc 

All the countries votes are then added up into one big score and added onto the jury scores.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

France was dreadful, but I thought Germany was the best song of the night.  Not the first time I’ve backed the song that got nul point mind.

Ha ha, I know what you mean. I don’t think it was bad, it was just forgettable.
The thing about Eurovision is that songs and the performances have to be striking and memorable, even if they are bad - as we’ve seen several times! 
Personally, my favourite last night was Moldova, not because it was the best song but just because it brought a smile to my face. 

9 hours ago, 2015 said:

Lost because of the sympathy vote. Fair play though for UK

Difficult to be entirely sure.

Certainly the reason Ukraine won, but difficult not to believe our very strong vote from Eastern Europe was not itself in part a reflection of our response to the war.

We put in a contender that was one of those that did not get lost in all the ballads. Congrats to Sam but I am not sure how it would have played out without the war and that we would have clearly won. Ukraine’s public vote has to go somewhere, and we were about 4th in the public vote, which even then is a good effort.

20 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha, I know what you mean. I don’t think it was bad, it was just forgettable.
The thing about Eurovision is that songs and the performances have to be striking and memorable, even if they are bad - as we’ve seen several times! 
Personally, my favourite last night was Moldova, not because it was the best song but just because it brought a smile to my face. 

Moldova got 2nd highest public vote. 

5 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Moldova got 2nd highest public vote. 

I know loads had that as their top tune.

By loads I mean some,

by some I mean my Mrs, her sister and that vicar off Gogglebox we saw on Twitter? Kate Botely possibly. 

as a cross section of our house that's a pretty high percentage. :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

It`s not been the same since Terry Wogan died. Some of his thinly veiled comments were hilarious and made watching it worthwhile just for that.

As an aside, I was on a fishing holiday in Kerry one year when it was on and the way the Irish absolutely love it was a thing to behold. It`s on TV in every bar and they were packed. There were even people watching it who were recording it at home so they could watch it back the next day!

On 15/05/2022 at 00:19, Mr Roper said:

Eurovision's as a barometer of a Countries political standing on the world stage can never be undestimated. 

Germany were last.

Is it 1939 again?

12 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Eurovision's as a barometer of a Countries political standing on the world stage can never be undestimated. 

Germany were last.

Is it 1939 again?

Such nonsense. Germany had a crap song and so finished last. They finished 25th in 2021, 2019 and 2017. They came 26th in 2016 and 27th in 2015. But were 4th in 2018.

Germany have the same problem we've had for years, they keep entering crap.

UK and USA supplying biggest military aid – Zelensky.

Everything is political and Boris has played a blinder here.

Eurovision recognises the vital support given to Ukraine, as proven by the voting in what historically is used as a measure of a Countries global standing. 

Eurovision sees you France and Germany.

If we the UK want to continue to do well in future at Eurovision we have to keep finding wars to throw arms at.

5 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

UK and USA supplying biggest military aid – Zelensky.

Everything is political and Boris has played a blinder here.

Eurovision recognises the vital support given to Ukraine, as proven by the voting in what historically is used as a measure of a Countries global standing. 

Eurovision sees you France and Germany.

If we the UK want to continue to do well in future at Eurovision we have to keep finding wars to throw arms at.

You are still talking nonsense.
France:

2022: 24th

2021: 2nd

2019: 16th

2018: 13th

2017: 12th

2016: 6th

2015: 25th

2014: 26th

2013: 23rd

2012: 22nd

45 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Such nonsense. Germany had a crap song and so finished last. They finished 25th in 2021, 2019 and 2017. They came 26th in 2016 and 27th in 2015. But were 4th in 2018.

Germany have the same problem we've had for years, they keep entering crap.

They really didn't. It just wasn't a Eurovision song.