IGNORED

New Podcast - Brian Tinnion on the Past season, Present and Future in the Academy including insight into the Guernsey connection! EXCLUSIVE on Tim Ap Sion

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What questions?…………:dunno:

This was his first season of the rebuild and he’s had much to correct on and off the pitch. He’s done a decent job imo.

Everyone wants immediate ‘success’ and ‘glory’ now 

If that can be achieved than great , but it’s rare , because a new head coach / manager rarely inherits a performing squad or even one that has the potential to immediately and significantly change

We have been on the decline for 3 or more years now and anyone with any common would see and know there was major work to be done here to not only overhaul an overpaid disjointed and poorly performing squad , but to form a different culture at the club

For me he increasingly looks like he’s achieving in both respects 

It will take more time but we will be better as a Club , with a healthier squad and overall culture ,  for Nigel Pearson’s tenure here , (IMO)  whenever he moves aside 

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What questions?…………:dunno:

This was his first season of the rebuild and he’s had much to correct on and off the pitch. He’s done a decent job imo.

I will firstly say I’m firmly in the Pearson in camp but I do think there are two questions / issues for me:

The number of goals we’ve conceded this season has to reduce

We’ve only run two consecutive games this season, against  an already relegated derby and a hull side with nothing to play for 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daored said:

I will firstly say I’m firmly in the Pearson in camp but I do think there are two questions / issues for me:

The number of goals we’ve conceded this season has to reduce

We’ve only run two consecutive games this season, against  an already relegated derby and a hull side with nothing to play for 

On the flip side, we never went on a losing run longer than 3 games (3 times)…we’ve strung 5 games unbeaten twice…..we’ve not been boom nor bust.  We’ve conceded too many, but we’ve scored a lot too.  We’ve not had too many scoreless games.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On the flip side, we never went on a losing run longer than 3 games (3 times)…we’ve strung 5 games unbeaten twice…..we’ve not been boom nor bust.  We’ve conceded too many, but we’ve scored a lot too.  We’ve not had too many scoreless games.

We seem to have lost the Johnson era of long losing runs and that is a positive. As I say I’m firmly in the Pearson in camp those are the two improvements I feel we can make and if we do you’d expect a more successful team. There is a lot of positives as detailed in the podcast of this thread but doesn’t mean we can’t be critical but constructive with it 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, daored said:

We seem to have lost the Johnson era of long losing runs and that is a positive. As I say I’m firmly in the Pearson in camp those are the two improvements I feel we can make and if we do you’d expect a more successful team. There is a lot of positives as detailed in the podcast of this thread but doesn’t mean we can’t be critical but constructive with it 

A mixed bag, totally….I just don’t buy the “it’s been all negative” from those posters.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A mixed bag, totally….I just don’t buy the “it’s been all negative” from those posters.

I think there has to be a realism about where we are as a club right now and we simply can’t spend the money as we’ve done before. People talk about budgets as use clubs like Coventry, Huddersfield  and Luton as clubs without a budget. Whilst that’s true , Luton and Coventry have had consistency with management of the club and Huddersfield stuck with their manager last season when they had an awful year. Yet people want the constant change of management with either no suggestion of a replacement and no concept of the constant change of manager brings. As Pearson has said problems at the club and will be there whether he stays or goes - he accepts the problems and appears prepared to stay, surely that had to a positive 

• Like 3

Whatever anyone thinks of Pearson?, and while i sit uncomfortably on the fence....... and   wait to see what he achieves this summer, now that he is able to really start  making significant changes?  It is so reassuring to have Tinman, who is City through and through, organising, scrutinising and doing what he feels is best for his club.  Having him in the background taking care of the academy, makes me feel assured and more confident about our long term prospects?  He is the lifeblood of our club, and I think his contribution in the present and in the future to Bristol City  ,   will be massive?             

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Whatever anyone thinks of Pearson?, and while i sit uncomfortably on the fence....... and   wait to see what he achieves this summer, now that he is able to really start  making significant changes?  It is so reassuring to have Tinman, who is City through and through, organising, scrutinising and doing what he feels is best for his club.  Having him in the background taking care of the academy, makes me feel assured and more confident about our long term prospects?  He is the lifeblood of our club, and I think his contribution in the present and in the future to Bristol City  ,   will be massive?             

I guess “we” ought to feel encouraged that from the outside looking in we have a first team manager so willing to back the judgement of the Academy boss rather than paying lip service to it.  Willing to trust several of them, willing to keep a trim squad so that they have opportunities.

Whilst I sit here and think we don’t have a very balanced squad age-wise (and other things too), in some ways that means we aren’t blocking pathway.  We can’t really afford those mid age range players (typically in contract and therefore a fee), which means our youngsters are getting great opportunities both in terms of first team minutes but also training time with them too. I couldn’t believe how quickly Benarous’s game came on from a “skill-spot” u23 player to mature performances in the first team.  In fact I think it might’ve been the Cardiff u23 game where he went back to trying to do flashy stuff and Nige mentioned in his press conference he’d not been very good.  A little reminder for him when back on first team duty.

If it means we have to go with the older OOC player to supplement the squad then so be it.  Would it be the worst thing in the world to keep Andy King, or sign Marlon Pack if it sped up the development of Josh Owers for example. This approach certainly hasn’t blocked any of the Academy boys yet.

Its quite refreshing.  Not everything around the club is positive, but this is one area we should be getting behind.

• Like 5

My first ever Podcast! What happened to letters, postcards and snippets in the Evening Post and World!

So interesting from start to finish, the depth of information from Brian in a way that I've never known before. As one, who in my younger days, watched first team, Reserves and any Youth (under 18's) Cup games at Ashton Gate and even Bristol Boys (under 15's) I have always seen the benefit of developing our own. So many who have become City legends during my seventy years as a supporter, were our own boys who grew up and gave great service to our Club. To name names would be unfair because with so many to mention, I'm bound to miss many out.

The latest crop are a joy to watch and we all wait expectantly to see how they will develop. At different rates and have a thought for those who miss out in the end and rejoice on the successful one's.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I guess “we” ought to feel encouraged that from the outside looking in we have a first team manager so willing to back the judgement of the Academy boss rather than paying lip service to it.  Willing to trust several of them, willing to keep a trim squad so that they have opportunities.

Whilst I sit here and think we don’t have a very balanced squad age-wise (and other things too), in some ways that means we aren’t blocking pathway.  We can’t really afford those mid age range players (typically in contract and therefore a fee), which means our youngsters are getting great opportunities both in terms of first team minutes but also training time with them too. I couldn’t believe how quickly Benarous’s game came on from a “skill-spot” u23 player to mature performances in the first team.  In fact I think it might’ve been the Cardiff u23 game where he went back to trying to do flashy stuff and Nige mentioned in his press conference he’d not been very good.  A little reminder for him when back on first team duty.

If it means we have to go with the older OOC player to supplement the squad then so be it.  Would it be the worst thing in the world to keep Andy King, or sign Marlon Pack if it sped up the development of Josh Owers for example. This approach certainly hasn’t blocked any of the Academy boys yet.

Its quite refreshing.  Not everything around the club is positive, but this is one area we should be getting behind.

Wish I’d seen this before typing the above.

Perfectly summed up.

On 14/05/2022 at 16:29, Sheltons Army said:

Everyone wants immediate ‘success’ and ‘glory’ now 

If that can be achieved than great , but it’s rare , because a new head coach / manager rarely inherits a performing squad or even one that has the potential to immediately and significantly change

We have been on the decline for 3 or more years now and anyone with any common would see and know there was major work to be done here to not only overhaul an overpaid disjointed and poorly performing squad , but to form a different culture at the club

For me he increasingly looks like he’s achieving in both respects 

It will take more time but we will be better as a Club , with a healthier squad and overall culture ,  for Nigel Pearson’s tenure here , (IMO)  whenever he moves aside 

???????????????????? Couldn’t of put any better myself . He’s got us back on a even keel . It couldn’t of been easy to turn it around . For a all the woke fans out there who see him as a “bully” they haven’t got a clue. He has a genuine connection with the players. I remember Matt withers on his podcast moaning that Pearson doesn’t clap the fans . He was asked about this & said it’s important for the players to connect with the fans not him . I see him as the complete opposite to a bully . It’s all about the team with him . He’s a top bloke imo . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

???????????????????? Couldn’t of put any better myself . He’s got us back on a even keel . It couldn’t of been easy to turn it around . For a all the woke fans out there who see him as a “bully” they haven’t got a clue. He has a genuine connection with the players. I remember Matt withers on his podcast he’s moaning that Pearson doesn’t clap the fans . He was asked about this & said it’s important for the players to connect with the fans not him . I see him as the complete opposite to a bully . It’s all about the team with him . He’s a top bloke imo . 

GJ was a bully, a big bully as a men of smaller a stature often are. That’s how he got found out at City and why he’s now working in the lower leagues again.

Nige is the complete opposite and as you say is a top bloke.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

GJ was a bully, a big bully as a men of smaller a stature often are. That’s how he got found out at City and why he’s now working in the lower leagues again.

Nige is the complete opposite and as you say is a top bloke.

Let it go robbo ffs . We all know he beat you up in his office mate but we don’t hold it against you. 

• Haha 10

21 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Let it go robbo ffs . We all know he beat you up in his office mate but we don’t hold it against you. 

Players and people respond to different motivations. But don’t make the mistake of responding to Robbo! 

What's very apparent is how technical development can be achieved in the Academy, but it has to be combined in most cases, with a loan to another club to gain a competitive edge, a winning mentality, and better physicality. And each player progresses at different speeds. 

I've often wondered whether the system could be improved upon.

So as not to keep looking for loan opportunities.

As an example...having a football club lower down the pyramid as a ' feeder' club. At Bath FC sort of level.  Basically taking it over and playing City 'signed' academy level players in it. Developing them as the academy does, but playing in a men's league, with competition and physicality. Developing them even quicker. And playing to a style that the first team do...rather than what a loan club does. Similar to what happens abroad. Not sure on the legality of that... especially if they got promoted into the league. I guess FA rules would need to change.

The reason I think this...is because in the main, a few exceptions... a player  isn't ready for Championship football straight from the Academy, without first having a loan period in men's league football.

Without loans...on the whole, the academy system is broken as there is too much of a gap.

BT and his colleagues have really done a fantastic job at developing these players through a challenging system of loans and fast track academy football.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

What's very apparent is how technical development can be achieved in the Academy, but it has to be combined in most cases, with a loan to another club to gain a competitive edge, a winning mentality, and better physicality. And each player progresses at different speeds. 

I've often wondered whether the system could be improved upon.

So as not to keep looking for loan opportunities.

As an example...having a football club lower down the pyramid as a ' feeder' club. At Bath FC sort of level.  Basically taking it over and playing City 'signed' academy level players in it. Developing them as the academy does, but playing in a men's league, with competition and physicality. Developing them even quicker. And playing to a style that the first team do...rather than what a loan club does. Similar to what happens abroad. Not sure on the legality of that... especially if they got promoted into the league. I guess FA rules would need to change.

The reason I think this...is because in the main, a few exceptions... a player  isn't ready for Championship football straight from the Academy, without first having a loan period in men's league football.

Without loans...on the whole, the academy system is broken as there is too much of a gap.

BT and his colleagues have really done a fantastic job at developing these players through a challenging system of loans and fast track academy football.

Your thinking is ok . However , English football is too steeped in history for this to happen . I agree it’s great for the kids& it’s happening anyway with the set up we have . For every Bristol city - bath city feeder club , there will be a Chelsea or Liverpool or Man City bristolcity feeder clubs. 
just get the best scouting network financially available & with the youth set up we have , we’ll flourish . We’re already playing our best u16’s in the 18’s -18’s-23’s 23’s best of the18’s-23’s on loan to mens football . Without bringing back the combination leagues I don’t know what else we can do . We have a excellent youth set up imo 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I really enjoyed the pod and Tinnion’s passion really shines through.

I’m up at the HPC 3 times a week at the moment and it’s very rare that Tinnion isn’t there, watching academy training or taking in the games. He very occasionally gets involved in team talks during the matches and you can see the young lads hang on every word he says when he gets involved. He clearly loves what he’s doing and it really comes across - we’re very lucky to have him.

There are some fantastic players coming through throughout the age groups - the future is definitely bright and Tins is playing a huge part in that. The guy is a breath of fresh air. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Your thinking is ok . However , English football is too steeped in history for this to happen . I agree it’s great for the kids& it’s happening anyway with the set up we have . For every Bristol city - bath city feeder club , there will be a Chelsea or Liverpool or Man City bristolcity feeder clubs. 
just get the best scouting network financially available & with the youth set up we have , we’ll flourish . We’re already playing our best u16’s in the 18’s -18’s-23’s 23’s best of the18’s-23’s on loan to mens football . Without bringing back the combination leagues I don’t know what else we can do . We have a excellent youth set up imo 

I agree...we are set in our ways. And I agree, that with the system as it is, we are doing well, but can still improve with scouting etc. Within the system in place, we have found a way of fast tracking.

My point really...which I poorly put across...is that the academy system is broken if loans weren't possible in the main.

There are few occasions where a player comes in straight from the academy and can fit seemlesly into Championship football. A few...but not the majority. Even harder in the Prem.

It's the system as a whole that needs tinkering. Having loan players in your team, developing their career for another club...when you think about it...it's wrong. 

As nice as it is to see the likes of Tammy Abraham play for you...it's more frustrating when they leave and you can't fill the void. I guess the same for clubs lower down the league's too.