IGNORED

We signed two players from Guernsey FC

WarksRobin

I was going to post this last night, but just assumed it would've already been posted. Looking forward to seeing what Acey can do, perhaps eventually fill the void of Benarous in and around the first team. Good to see we've snapped up Sion too. The link with Guernsey could prove fruitful for years to come, young players with experience playing with Men at a decent level. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I was going to post this last night, but just assumed it would've already been posted. Looking forward to seeing what Acey can do, perhaps eventually fill the void of Benarous in and around the first team. Good to see we've snapped up Sion too. The link with Guernsey could prove fruitful for years to come, young players with experience playing with Men at a decent level. 

I was surprised I couldn’t see it anywhere. Maybe all the forum posters are on the beach already ?

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

Fingers crossed they are another alex Scott.

Think fans are more interested in the retained list then two young uns who probably wont feature for a couple of years at least 

If the comments from the Guernsey coach regarding Ben & Alex are anything to go by, I can see Ben featuring in the U23s next season.

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Think it was just a pre-contract due to start this summer 

Yes that was on the Transfer forum I think via @Jerseybean? Tim Ap Sion seems more under the radar, interesting name though sounds almost Korean or something, but his picture doesn't seem to support that. He has played for England U16's as well.

Some pretty impressive age group sprinting times here too.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=948204

Edited by Port Said Red

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes that was on the Transfer forum I think via @Jerseybean? Tim Ap Sion seems more under the radar, interesting name though sounds almost Korean or something, but his picture doesn't seem to support that. He has played for England U16's as well.

The ‘ap’ derives from Welsh I believe. Means ‘son of’.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

I only know because I read some stuff about this bloke. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Amerike

A fascinating period of history, an area that my late father was really interested in and passed that interest on to me. One story we were very interested in was the idea that Cabot actually had a rudimentary map of "an unknown coastline" that he was supposed to have bought from local fishermen. The suggestion was that there were people fishing that far West but obviously keeping those fishing grounds as a secret for their own gain. 
I haven't seen anything in recent times that backs that idea, but the fact they have found so much evidence of Norse influence in Canada and Newfoundland suggests that finding land in that area wasn't that much of surprise to some areas of Europe.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

A fascinating period of history, an area that my late father was really interested in and passed that interest on to me. One story we were very interested in was the idea that Cabot actually had a rudimentary map of "an unknown coastline" that he was supposed to have bought from local fishermen. The suggestion was that there were people fishing that far West but obviously keeping those fishing grounds as a secret for their own gain. 
I haven't seen anything in recent times that backs that idea, but the fact they have found so much evidence of Norse influence in Canada and Newfoundland suggests that finding land in that area wasn't that much of surprise to some areas of Europe.

The Basque fishermen were supposedly one of the first to discover it.

• Hmmm 1

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Basque fishermen were supposedly one of the first to discover it.

Yes I have heard this theory too, Cabot did spend a lot of time in Spain, whether that was in the Basque region I am not sure, but it might be another source of information for him. The thing that always makes me smile about these explorers is how they find things by accident, Drake was looking for the East Indies for example, Cabot thought he could find an alternative route to China.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I have heard this theory too, Cabot did spend a lot of time in Spain, whether that was in the Basque region I am not sure, but it might be another source of information for him. The thing that always makes me smile about these explorers is how they find things by accident, Drake was looking for the East Indies for example, Cabot thought he could find an alternative route to China.

I suspect the truth is a mix of all the theories. The location was probably common knowledge to the Scandinavians, Basques and quite a few others but Cabot was the first to record his `discoveries`. 

A fascinating period of history though certainly. Have you ever read 1421, When China Discovered The World by Gavin Menzies? That throws a few other scenarios into the mix!

• Like 1

On 14/05/2022 at 17:44, Port Said Red said:

Bit harsh.  Don't tell me you haven't been looking through a kitchen drawer for those passport photos and come across some old laces and thought "Hmmm, that's a really interesting discovery"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Bit harsh.  Don't tell me you haven't been looking through a kitchen drawer for those passport photos and come across some old laces and thought "Hmmm, that's a really interesting discovery"?

Throughout history so many things have been discovered by accident, from penicillin to post it notes. Not knocking it, just saying that sometimes you can't find something for looking and then stumble across other things when you least expect it.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Throughout history so many things have been discovered by accident, from penicillin to post it notes. Not knocking it, just saying that sometimes you can't find something for looking and then stumble across other things when you least expect it.

The bloke who invented cats eyes, would’ve invented the pencil sharpener had the cat been facing away from him!

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1