IGNORED

We signed two players from Guernsey FC

WarksRobin

On 14/05/2022 at 17:55, Lanterne Rouge said:

I suspect the truth is a mix of all the theories. The location was probably common knowledge to the Scandinavians, Basques and quite a few others but Cabot was the first to record his `discoveries`. 

A fascinating period of history though certainly. Have you ever read 1421, When China Discovered The World by Gavin Menzies? That throws a few other scenarios into the mix!

Vikings definitely sailed there. Norse era archaeological remains have been discovered in a number of Newfoundland locations with technology and materials only available in Europe at the time. 

I read a book about Cod once (yes really!) and it advances a compelling argument that although the Norse "Vinland" knowledge had been lost, both Basque and Bristolian :city: fishermen had re-discovered North America well before Columbus (and Cabot) but kept the discovery secret for commercial advantage. There is even a reference in the Bristol archives by one merchant to "our distant fishing grounds, across the Ocean" (ie: the Grand Banks) dating back to 1454.

Going back to Acey and ap Sion, Jerseymen call people from Guernsey "donkeys". Scott certainly isn't one, and let's hope these two lads are equally not. 

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Vikings definitely sailed there. Norse era archaeological remains have been discovered in a number of Newfoundland locations with technology and materials only available in Europe at the time. 

I read a book about Cod once (yes really!) and it advances a compelling argument that although the Norse "Vinland" knowledge had been lost, both Basque and Bristolian :city: fishermen had re-discovered North America well before Columbus (and Cabot) but kept the discovery secret for commercial advantage. There is even a reference in the Bristol archives by one merchant to "our distant fishing grounds, across the Ocean" (ie: the Grand Banks) dating back to 1454.

Going back to Acey and ap Sion, Jerseymen call people from Guernsey "donkeys". Scott certainly isn't one, and let's hope these two lads are equally not. 

I’ve always assumed the practice of salt drying the cod to preserve it allowed the Basques to travel such distances. Was that in your Cod book?

( I have a bit of an obsession with historical food preservation techniques!)

Just now, fairweather said:

I’ve always assumed the practice of salt drying the cod to preserve it allowed the Basques to travel such distances. Was that in your Cod book?

( I have a bit of an obsession with historical food preservation techniques!)

Very much so.  It was in fact the Catholic Church's decision in the Middle Ages that you could eat fish on Friday, which hitherto had been considered a day of fast, that drove the massive demand and expansion of European fisheries. As European waters struggled to meet with demand, fishermen from the continent's western extremities went further and further afield to catch fish, particularly cod, which were big and slow-moving, hence easy to catch and much prized.

Salting was the best way to preserve fish on long voyages, which is why you still get salt cod in Iberia and the Scandinavian countries to this day. 

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Very much so.  It was in fact the Catholic Church's decision in the Middle Ages that you could eat fish on Friday, which hitherto had been considered a day of fast, that drove the massive demand and expansion of European fisheries. As European waters struggled to meet with demand, fishermen from the continent's western extremities went further and further afield to catch fish, particularly cod, which were big and slow-moving, hence easy to catch and much prized.

Salting was the best way to preserve fish on long voyages, which is why you still get salt cod in Iberia and the Scandinavian countries to this day. 

Do you recall the name of this book? Sounds right up my street

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fairweather said:

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Brandada de bacalao

You may recognise this French dish, known as Brandade, which is a sort of fish pie made from Morue (salt cod), potatoes (it was originally made with just warm milk instead of the potatoes) and (lots of) olive oil and garlic.

What you may not know, however, is that the dish does not originate from the Atlantic coast, but, rather, from the ancient Roman, land-locked town of Nimes, close to the French Mediterranean Sea (full of lovely fish, but no cod).

As long ago as the 16th Century, French fishermen would land their catch of Atlantic cod (Canada, Newfoundland) in the southern French ports, and transport them to the Nimes region where they would exchange their catch for salt, necessary to preserve the fish on its long journey.

The dried, salted cod was, of course, ideal for storage in the hot and dry climate of Southern France, and, so the story goes, a local chef came up with the idea of mashing the dried cod with a mortar and mixing it with milk to make this lovely dish.

It is not only Brandade that originated in Nimes, however; so did the cotton used in your lovely jeans - Cotton de Nimes.    

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Blimey, Acey is a confident, well spoken young man.

Tim Ap Sion is pronounced as one surname - “Apshun”

Thanks Dave - a very interesting listen , would recommend to all - Vance speaks interestingly about young player development pathway for Guernsey lads , and of Brian Tinnion and his work

Credit to Lee Johnson who clearly embraced the opportunity to forge a relationship , and was very welcoming to Tony Vance , and in helping his understanding and development

I was really impressed by Tony Vance and what he had to say - slightly surprised that we don’t appear to have aided Guernsey FC financially - I would hope that we would address this when Alex Scott moves on

I appreciate we are not bound to , but if we look after them , in return , we have nigh on a satellite academy in all but name 

The amounts required to further cement this relationship , and goodwill , would be small for us but significant for Guernsey

I would even be tempted to a gentleman’s agreement in terms of bonuses regarding players acquired from there 

Small ‘thankyous’ for first team debut etc

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Thanks Dave - a very interesting listen , would recommend to all - Vance speaks interestingly about young player development pathway for Guernsey lads , and of Brian Tinnion and his work

Credit to Lee Johnson who clearly embraced the opportunity to forge a relationship , and was very welcoming to Tony Vance , and in helping his understanding and development

I was really impressed by Tony Vance and what he had to say - slightly surprised that we don’t appear to have aided Guernsey FC financially - I would hope that we would address this when Alex Scott moves on

I appreciate we are not bound to , but if we look after them , in return , we have nigh on a satellite academy in all but name 

The amounts required to further cement this relationship , and goodwill , would be small for us but significant for Guernsey

I would even be tempted to a gentleman’s agreement in terms of bonuses regarding players acquired from there 

Small ‘thankyous’ for first team debut etc

Yes the second half with Vance was very informative.

On 16/05/2022 at 18:21, PHILINFRANCE said:

Brandada de bacalao

You may recognise this French dish, known as Brandade, which is a sort of fish pie made from Morue (salt cod), potatoes (it was originally made with just warm milk instead of the potatoes) and (lots of) olive oil and garlic.

What you may not know, however, is that the dish does not originate from the Atlantic coast, but, rather, from the ancient Roman, land-locked town of Nimes, close to the French Mediterranean Sea (full of lovely fish, but no cod).

As long ago as the 16th Century, French fishermen would land their catch of Atlantic cod (Canada, Newfoundland) in the southern French ports, and transport them to the Nimes region where they would exchange their catch for salt, necessary to preserve the fish on its long journey.

The dried, salted cod was, of course, ideal for storage in the hot and dry climate of Southern France, and, so the story goes, a local chef came up with the idea of mashing the dried cod with a mortar and mixing it with milk to make this lovely dish.

It is not only Brandade that originated in Nimes, however; so did the cotton used in your lovely jeans - Cotton de Nimes.    

Superb thank you. We should ‘get a room’ and get off this thread

On 16/05/2022 at 14:14, Red-Robbo said:

For information only: The "donkeys" of Guernsey, call Jersey people "crapauds" (crapaud is French for toad).

• Like 2

On 17/05/2022 at 11:38, Davefevs said:

Blimey, Acey is a confident, well spoken young man.

Tim Ap Sion is pronounced as one surname - “Apshun”

Thanks Dave will listen later, don't know if this was mentioned in there, I just saw it on FLW. Sound very promising! https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/couldve-been-a-100m-sprinter-exclusive-guernsey-boss-tony-vance-on-new-bristol-city-teenage-striker/

• Thanks 2

Hope the lad is close to playing again soon. You are shit out of luck if when being gently let back in after illness, you do your ACL in a few minutes with no challenge.

I hope they start showing the U21 games again next season.