IGNORED

Adam Stansfield fundraising match today

phantom

On 14/05/2022 at 11:07, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s always a well supported fixture by former players. I think Adam was a very well liked man within the game.

…and supporters too. A guy who worked for me did a big charity walk in memory of Adam. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Forget rivalries for a minute or two.

Adam Stansfield dies of bowel cancer whilst an Exeter City striker.  

The club retires his No 9 shirt. Fast forward to yesterday - his son signs on transfer window closing day.

Today his son now has his No 9 shirt for the season.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

The club retires his No 9 shirt. Fast forward to yesterday - his son signs on transfer window closing day.

I was at Exeter Uni whilst Stansfield Sr played for Exeter. Saw them and him a few times, including his final season. He was loved, and is still so loved. In more recent years I went to a Fulham v Exeter league cup game with some uni mates. The Exeter fans sang his song for about 20 minutes straight.

This will be an emotional time for everyone at that excellent club.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Indeed. Apparently it was Jay’s (son) decision to take the same shirt number as his dad, according to the media down here.

Apart from the poignancy of the occasion, it’s a bit of a coup for the Grecians; Jay actually started for Fulham in the Prem a few weeks back and got an assist for Bobby Decordova-Reid after 2 mins!

• Like 2

This has been the culmination of many years' hard work from Jay to get to this point and I for one could not be any happier, this was the best deadline deal ever!

I remember there were a few whispers that the club would retire the shirt until Jay was old enough to wear it but this was many years ago when Jay was in Exeter's academy. Back then, it would still have been somewhat of a pipe dream; although he has always been a gifted player, that is still some jump to be a good enough player to play in League One at 19 and whether he feels it or not, there will be pressure on him because of his dad's name. 

My two lads and I visited all 92 clubs in 2 weeks to raise money for the ASF and met the family who are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They treated us to match tickets (we finished at Exeter City on a Saturday) and lunch and arranged a special on-pitch presentation at half time. They must be busting with pride at what Jay has achieved and is still achieving and Jay's younger brother Taylor's not a bad player either. 

• Like 3