Jump to content
IGNORED

FA Cup Chelsea v Liverpool


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Quite possibly, it was several years ago 😉.

Whatever, I remember getting the question right, after many ‘No, don’t tell me’ requests, and I still wonder how many (younger than us) would get it right today.

Incidentally, how was the question worded and how does Trevor Brooking fit in to the answer?

Think it was something like

 

Sunderland did it in 1979 , Villa in 1981 , who did it in 1980

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think it was something like

 

Sunderland did it in 1979 , Villa in 1981 , who did it in 1980

Thanks, and now you remind me, that is how I remember it 👍.

Oh, and now I think about it, I recognise (remember) the relevance of Trevor Brooking 🤣.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

38 league games + all the cup matches. Today was Liverpool’s 62nd game this season so far. Two more league matches and the Champions League final - I can’t see City playing anything like that number.

They have a squad to cope with it . I got a hell of a lot of time for the way Liverpool play. However , when I hear top managers moaning about fixtures my answer is. You want to get to every final so obviously there will be more games. Plus , like Simon Jordan said about kick off times etc . The Asia market want to watch you because you’re so good . They pay the premier league a extra £1bn a year which enables , the plastic sky fans who demand Liverpool, Man City-Utd ,Chelsea pay £500k a week in wages to players. Cake & eat it really with some fan bases. 
plus with those clubs , covid never happened. It was supposed to be a wake up call to football . Obviously not. 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think it was something like

 

Sunderland did it in 1979 , Villa in 1981 , who did it in 1980

Rikki Villa, Alan Sunderland and Trevor Brooking.

All scored in cup finals (winning goals?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

The fact that all the media were on about all week was the ‘Race for the top four’ rather than the FA Cup Final says it all really

It doesn’t help that Through the 70s and 80s there were some great stories and ‘journeys’ , Sunderland , Newcastle ,Fulham , Ipswich , West Ham, QPR , Spurs , Palace.....

In recent years and for some time it’s been dominated by 4 or so Clubs , for whom an FA Cup Final isn’t really a big deal - it’s a trophy but no special event -   where’s the ‘stories’ from the last 10-15 years ,... Wigan...but few and far between

For all those other Clubs  I mentioned, let alone clubs like us , who can only dream , it would still be a massive deal 

But that is why it is still such a great compition. 

It's the dream of success

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I havent watched an FA Cup Final since....certainly the 90's. It doesnt hold the same feeling any more. Maybe I'm just growing old but it used to be an occasion. Now its just another game I have no interest in

I think the downgrading of the FA cup had alot to do with the birth of the mighty Premier league. Non of the pl teams are bothered about it until they get to the semi finals. (It's all a bit beneath them?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I havent watched an FA Cup Final since....certainly the 90's. It doesnt hold the same feeling any more. Maybe I'm just growing old but it used to be an occasion. Now its just another game I have no interest in

 

7 minutes ago, Midred said:

I think the downgrading of the FA cup had alot to do with the birth of the mighty Premier league. Non of the pl teams are bothered about it until they get to the semi finals. (It's all a bit beneath them?)

It was different before the Cup Winners` Cup was done away with. That was the second most important European competition and clubs wanted to win it. A Europa League place for the winners isn`t the same.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

 

It was different before the Cup Winners` Cup was done away with. That was the second most important European competition and clubs wanted to win it. A Europa League place for the winners isn`t the same.

But if that's all Man utd can hope for then so be it!

As Liverpool have won both cups (league and FA) but will be in the champions league anyway does this open up to more teams further down the pl?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

It’s the same where I live in Wiltshire now . I went to college in Swindon for two years and the whole time I was there I only met one Swindon fan everyone else supported Liverpool , arsenal,Chelsea or utd . When asked why they didn’t support Swindon they said it’s because their 💩 

I know the same, yet seeing so many of them trying to get tickets for todays game!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im glad Liverpool won, wouldn’t call myself a supporter but definitely have a soft spot for them.

A proper football club steeped in tradition, passionate fans, a knack of winning big games with some highly memorable performances - Istanbul was the first for me and I loved Gerrard, West Ham cup final, Barca etc.

There’s only two cities in England that have the passion most clubs can only dream of - Liverpool and Newcastle. Spend a match day in either of those cities and you’ll understand just how much football means to a community and to fans.

All my opinion of course, and I’m from a younger generation that didn’t witness Liverpools earlier glory days. Some of their fans are knobs, but find a club that doesn’t have them.

I’d love to see them do the quadruple but I think the leagues gone.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

I remember the proper cup finals years ago.

3pm kick off, both BBC and ITV programmes started at 9am and went on until 6pm.

Back then the FA cup was something very special. 

I’ve had no desire to watch a cup final for well over ten years now, and I’m not going to start today.

I feel the same way & have no interests in either of the teams at all, so I reckon my time was best spent fishing instead 🎣.

Edited by bpexile
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

It’s the same where I live in Wiltshire now . I went to college in Swindon for two years and the whole time I was there I only met one Swindon fan everyone else supported Liverpool , arsenal,Chelsea or utd . When asked why they didn’t support Swindon they said it’s because their 💩 

You forgot Tottenham. In fairness you only need to look toward the London slum clearances and the large number of Londoners who were promised "a house in the Country". Then subsequently wound up in bloody Swindon. I lived in Swindon for 10 years (worked there for nearer 20) and was surprised to see "Arsenal in the Community" one lunchtime down in the shopping centre. Most STFC fans seemed to live outside of Swindon (in Calne, Chippenham, Devizes etc)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

You forgot Tottenham. In fairness you only need to look toward the London slum clearances and the large number of Londoners who were promised "a house in the Country". Then subsequently wound up in bloody Swindon. I lived in Swindon for 10 years (worked there for nearer 20) and was surprised to see "Arsenal in the Community" one lunchtime down in the shopping centre. Most STFC fans seemed to live outside of Swindon (in Calne, Chippenham, Devizes etc)

Very true 

my condolences about you living in Swindon mind 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I havent watched an FA Cup Final since....certainly the 90's. It doesnt hold the same feeling any more. Maybe I'm just growing old but it used to be an occasion. Now its just another game I have no interest in

I agree. Semi finals at Wembley, messing around with the kick off time and the silly premier league not managing to play 38 games by mid May have ruined it for me. That sense of occasion isn't quite there any more. 

Another thing that amazes me is the number of empty seats 10 minutes into the second half. Your lucky enough to get a ticket for the FA cup final and your more interested in getting a burger?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

What was all the booing about from the calm downers before kick off ?

They think they're being anti establishment and cool by booing abide with me, Prince William and the National anthem. Just embarassing and they wonder why they are hated

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I find it hard to dislike Liverpool. They don’t go and buy a 100M player every season. They play great attacking football and have a fantastic manager.[b] If you are a fan of the game it would be only jealousy that makes you dislike them. [/b]Would love to see West Ham beat the UAE tomorrow to take the PL right to the end

You don’t think the EPPP, their fans, the Suarez t shirts, and many other things come into it?

If it’s about success then the Royal Engineers, Blackburn Olympic,  and Bury would be on the list as well - we have after all, won sod all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Liverpool,not exactly ‘ swashbuckling ‘ their way to trophies are they?

Scraping through on penalties again for their second cup win. 

Fine margins or not it doesn’t scream all conquering Champions. 

LFC mentality monsters!

Edited by Tangle Foot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Liverpool,not exactly ‘ swashbuckling ‘ their way to trophies are they?

Scraping through on penalties again for their second cup win. 

Fine margins or not it doesn’t scream all conquering Champions. 

No, but they’ve played about 20 million games so far this season 😀

Just now, Southport Red said:

 

Edited by Southport Red
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Liverpool,not exactly ‘ swashbuckling ‘ their way to trophies are they?

Scraping through on penalties again for their second cup win. 

Fine margins or not it doesn’t scream all conquering Champions. 

Man Ciity certainly swashbuckling but not when it counts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...