IGNORED

Nigel Pearson will be on Sounds of the City

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

I thought the most important point to come out of the interview was his point that any change in culture had to be continued ie Post him and that the plan was still to make Premier League , and pointed out that may not be under him , but in a continuation of the journey

In my years we’ve had maybe a couple who attempted / started to change the culture of the Club as a whole , in Joe Jordan certainly , and Steve Cotterill , ( and to some degree Gary J)

A bit unfair to Gary Johnson who I think achieved the biggest culture change in my lifetime, effectively destroying the alcohol-fuelled culture that thrived under Wilson and which Tins was unable to deal with.

• Like 11
  • Flames 3

10 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

The phone line broke up a couple times so I might have missed something but here's the bulk of what Nige said:

- says Mark Sykes has the qualities he wanted. That is that Sykes has something to prove and is ambitious.

- 4 players have been told they aren't in the plans here. Nige said these players need to make a career choice to stay and pick up a wage without game time or go and play. Says the club don't encourage them sitting and picking up a wage. Wells isn't one of them.

- says he's slightly behind where he hoped on the 3 year curve. NP said it's been a tough year but that the work that's happened this year will pay dividends.

- Said if we are serious about making a cultural change it has to have a lasting effect. Thus, what's important for his role is that we move in the right direction rather than the prem in three years. 

- he is delighted with how we've developed as an attacking team, but not the defensive side as a team! He doesn't want pats on the back for the progress so far, rather he acknowledges the progress and work left to do.

- Nige says it's been satisfying and rewarding for the coaching staff to see the availability of Martin and Weimann this season

- Injury length has reduced, availability up. Says Joe Williams has been available for 70% of the year, and that we're much more likely to win or draw with him in the side. Said Joe is a good player and a nutcase who has worked hard to get back to where he is. 

- Says Semenyo is self-aware, is ambitious, a good listener who is receptive, studies his own game, doesn't waste time and energy when injured and this is why his development has blossomed over the season. Says he has the natural tools, but his finishing is improving and he practices in a professional way. He says he'd be disappointed if we weren't worried about losing him and in time we'll have decisions to make about him. However, it'd have to be the right deal for us and he hopes Semenyo will be here next season.

- Nige says an aggressive and tight culture at Luton is a reason for their success. He says this will be achieved when we hit targets of wage bill and people know what their job is and where they sit. Says Luton might drop next year as the players and agents will cash in on a good season and this is the reality of it, so it might not last. However he focuses on us rather than focusing on Luton or anyone else.

- Nige bans Sky Sports in his house so he can relax! 

- he says our identity is being formed now and next year we will be competitive and better than we were this year just gone.

- to our fans he says: he will try and keep fans updated in a realistic way but this won't be with speculation and there's a lot of fake news in football. 

Overall it was nice to hear a manager who's down to earth and direct. If he doesn't want to answer, he is comfortable to say that and explain why, or Re O'Dowda he simply said we thank CO'D but it's time for change. So refreshing to hear that interview following plenty of buzz phrases from Ashton and a lesser extent Johnson. 

Excellent summary.

A couple of other bits:

On the contract offers - No time limit on players making decisions, but we will have to move on if things don't move quickly enough and we have other options. King as a player/coach is a no brainer, intelligent guy, bright future in the game as a coach or manager and we want to help him work towards that. Cundy is a bit of a risk because of his injuries but he deserves a contract, has offered a deal to Klose and it's with him to decide if it's right for him.

Summer plans were finalised a couple of months ago (presumably once we knew we'd definitely be in this division) and are now being put into action. Things won't always go to plan and won't always happen in the order that people want them to - mentioned Sykes (so pretty safe to assume he's signed) when he's gone on record as wanting defenders and people may wonder why those aren't coming in first.

Towards the end he came back to the players who've been told they can go, will have an impact on what we can and can't do this summer if they don't go. Doesn't blame the players for the money they're on or begrudge them it, the club has offered them those deals. Didn't rule out paying them up if neccessary. Owners are supportive of what we're trying to do but we have to be mindful of the bigger picture, can't overspend etc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A bit unfair to Gary Johnson who I think achieved the biggest culture change in my lifetime, effectively destroying the alcohol-fuelled culture that thrived under Wilson and which Tins was unable to deal with.

Yes , very fair point

Probably my fav Manager - and he undoubtedly fostered a winning gritty mentality and performances , both from individuals who weren’t obvious stars , and as a team  

* My doubt came to whether he tried to change the mentality of the squad and team or the Club as a whole 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I wanted to catch up on the show, but aunty beeb is obviously busy with some edits, it’s not up on BBC sounds.

they surely aren’t worried about a shit are they? When every song on the Spotify has **** in it these days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0c32zyc

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

I thought the most important point to come out of the interview was his point that any change in culture had to be continued ie Post him and that the plan was still to make Premier League , and pointed out that may not be under him , but in a continuation of the journey

In my years we’ve had maybe a couple who attempted / started to change the culture of the Club as a whole , in Joe Jordan certainly , and Steve Cotterill , ( and to some degree Gary J)

On neither occasion did we continue with , or build on , that culture change - It’s a reminder that the appointment after Nigel Pearson will be an extremely important one.

Whatever anyone’s issues with results , league position , selections ...... I’d be surprised if there was anyone who can’t see he’s having an impact in trying to change the mentality -

However long he stays in post it’s going to be extremely important that we retain , and build on that IMO

It can’t always be driven by the Manager / Head Coach , it’s a culture and mentality the whole Club and all the staff , needs to foster if we are to ever achieve

Precisely how other clubs have moved from also ran's to top of the pile.

Shankly at Liverpool in early 1960's.

Revie at Leeds in 1960/70.

Brian Clough at Forest.

Fergie at Man U.

Pearson at Leicester.

All those clubs were meandering along at the time and while all those spent money, it was the building of team spirit, hard work by stars who were expected to do the same as lesser members of the squad. From Tea Lady to the Board of Directors! All singing the same words and tune!

• Like 3

Couple of points I picked up that haven't been mentioned yet, I don't think:

- We had player unavailability due to injuries for a total of approx. 250 days last season, that's down to around 75 days this season. So undoubted progress on that front.

- When talking about success of Luton he said something along the lines of "they have equality in their wage bill, which we don't have yet". Thought that was a really revealing comment and hints at some of the dressing room issues he inherited in that first season. Also points to more financial mismanagement under Ashton. 

Must admit I've been pretty disinterested these last few months, but that interview was encouraging, and Nige sounded very confident we'll be better next season. 

Definitely going to be interest/offers for Antoine though. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

- We had player unavailability due to injuries for a total of approx. 250 days last season, that's down to around 75 days this season. So undoubted progress on that front.

- When talking about success of Luton he said something along the lines of "they have equality in their wage bill, which we don't have yet". Thought that was a really revealing comment and hints at some of the dressing room issues he inherited in that first season. Also points to more financial mismanagement under Ashton. 

He's made that point about wage equality before, think Gould mentioned it when he was on with Geoff the other week as well. Clearly one of the major issues that they're having to resolve.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's made that point about wage equality before, think Gould mentioned it when he was on with Geoff the other week as well. Clearly one of the major issues that they're having to resolve.

Which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when he seems keen to keep Wells unless the rest of them are getting a pay rise !!

3 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when he seems keen to keep Wells unless the rest of them are getting a pay rise !!

Wells has much wider value to the squad. The young players properly look up to him and he's a great influence on them. You have been able to see it most matchdays this season as he leads the subs warm-up during the game on the sidelines. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, weepywall said:

He's got little choice has he?  Might as well praise him as he could well play a crucial role next season. He'd like him if he was on £10k a week for certain 

He was absolutely fantastic. 

Setting the right culture for the fans early doors, understanding of where we are, conveying his position to fans in the way previous incumbents couldn't manage to do with the same honesty. Really feel comfortable with big Nige at the helm. 

Up the Nige Pearson Cider Groping City

UTNPCGC

Edited by ZiderEyed
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wells has much wider value to the squad. The young players properly look up to him and he's a great influence on them. You have been able to see it most matchdays this season as he leads the subs warm-up during the game on the sidelines. 

You can tell his attitude by how he treats Under 23's matches as well, requesting to play in them and putting the shift in rather than some senior players who its obvious they don't want to be there

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

4 players have been told they can leave this summer. 

I believe he said that all 4 are out of contract at the end of next season. 

Specifically said Nahki Wells is not one of them. He wants to keep him. 

Highly likely that the 4 are Palmer, Moore, Bakinson & Vyner, I expect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

He's got little choice has he?  Might as well praise him as he could well play a crucial role next season. He'd like him if he was on £10k a week for certain 

Absolutely.

If we cannot do a deal that is in our interest financially it makes no sense to move him on in the last year of his deal, particularly not until we know how the situation with Semenyo is going to pan out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Highly likely that the 4 are Palmer, Moore, Bakinson & Vyner, I expect.

Yep, those four haven’t featured much under Nige, only Vyner has had a few appearances and I don’t think Nige was overly impressed with him when he did play. Hopefully some clubs will come in for Palmer and Vyner but Moore and Bakinson are out the door for sure.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks for the summary @CheddarReds

@Davefevs you track this kind of thing. Are we? How's Williams faring on your points gained/lost whilst playing thing?

Check my tableau page.  I did post some stats a week ago….but Joe Williams gets us 1.80 points per 90 played!!!  Benarous 1.60 pp90.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Must admit I've been pretty disinterested these last few months, but that interview was encouraging, and Nige sounded very confident we'll be better next season. 

Definitely going to be interest/offers for Antoine though. 

On the bit above, being pedantic pretty sure he said “hamstring” specifically.

My favourite comment was actually from Chris Honor.  He can be a bit negative at times but he said “I would like to work for Nigel Pearson”.  When an ex-pro says that, it’s saying something.

• Like 3