IGNORED

Callum Joining Cardiff (Official)

CiderJar

When he signed from Oxford, he seemed to be an out and out left winger, bombing forward, beating full backs.

Johnson then  tried to be clever, sticking him out on the right wing.  Then whenever he had to cut inside on his left, more often than not lost it or got crowded out.  I am not saying he didn't have his faults, but Callum strikes me as confidence player and if he was put in his proper position early on I think he could have flourished.

Good luck Callum, you don't deserve some of the nonsense written on this thread.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

13 hours ago, hertsexile said:

Simple Cardiff are desperate to sign ex city players. He follows a long line of them in resent years ! 
We can only hope that is as bad and injury prone across the Severn as he was whilst wearing a Bristol city shirt. 

I don't wish injury on any player :disapointed2se:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AG City said:

When he signed from Oxford, he seemed to be an out and out left winger, bombing forward, beating full backs.

Johnson then  tried to be clever, sticking him out on the right wing.  Then whenever he had to cut inside on his left, more often than not lost it or got crowded out.  I am not saying he didn't have his faults, but Callum strikes me as confidence player and if he was put in his proper position early on I think he could have flourished.

Good luck Callum, you don't deserve some of the nonsense written on this thread.

This forum is about individual opinions which we are all entitled to post and the general consensus is that CoD failed to impress sufficiently - regardless of what position he played.

I wouldn’t call those views ‘nonsense’.

• Like 12

Truly the perfect move. Takes a step down whilst lumbering Cardiff with his wages for 3 years. Couldn’t think of a better destination for him.

7 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Cardiff have been trying to replace Peter Whittingham (RIP) for years. So good luck for Callum at his new club. 

Kinda lost interest in local rivals being a thing over time as the 'heat' surrounding them, becomes ever increasingly manufactured rather that being actual rivals. 

COD isn’t 1% of the player Whittingham was.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AG City said:

100% agree. 

• Hmmm 2

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

This forum is about individual opinions which we are all entitled to post and the general consensus is that CoD failed to impress sufficiently - regardless of what position he played.

I wouldn’t call those views ‘nonsense’.

Agree, this forum is about individual opinions, and as such I have expressed my view that some of the comments on this thread IMO are nonsense.
Just because I don't follow what you have assumed as the 'general consensus' that doesn't make me wrong or you correct - it is my own view.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Olé said:

From the @Davefevs equivalent ? on the Cardiff forum I was interested to read he's never in his career ever started more than 20 games in a season "The most league games he's started in a season is just 20 (2014/15 in League Two for Oxford and 2018/19 in the Championship for Bristol)."  The record laid out isn't pretty:

James Piercy pointed that out last month & I must admit I thought he must be wrong, but checked & he was spot on.

It is quite incredible that he never even started half of our league games in any of the 6 seasons that he was with us.

Pearson uses the word efficient a lot, this is an obvious example of where a signing really did not contribute as much as we expect.

Sadly he doesn’t stand out in this regard because there were far, far worse examples of this.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RedNachos said:

Am I the only who's feeling mildly sad at this, he came to us with an exciting air around him, and has shown sparks of excellence. However, through injuries and positional problems, he's never reached close to the potential I've longed for him to acheive.

By all means the right choice for us to let him go, but leaves me with a 'what could have been' feeling.

That ‘ feeling’ hangs like a wet woolen cloak on the backs of City supporters. 

11 minutes ago, AG City said:

Agree, this forum is about individual opinions, and as such I have expressed my view that some of the comments on this thread IMO are nonsense.
Just because I don't follow what you have assumed as the 'general consensus' that doesn't make me wrong or you correct - it is my own view.

No one is calling your opinion ‘nonsense’ tho…………:cool2: 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AG City said:

Using that analogy why are you then saying that "Some of the comments on this thread are nonsense?"

That comment kind of contradicts your point about other people's view like your own "doesn't make me wrong or you correct"

Just an observation ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RedNachos said:

Am I the only who's feeling mildly sad at this, he came to us with an exciting air around him, and has shown sparks of excellence. However, through injuries and positional problems, he's never reached close to the potential I've longed for him to acheive.

By all means the right choice for us to let him go, but leaves me with a 'what could have been' feeling.

I agree it's a shame. A few years ago I remember the Secret Footballer talking up a teenager at his final club who he felt had the potential to go to the absolute top of the game. There's a general consensus based on the evidence that it was Dave Kitson talking about Callum O'Dowda. 

It's really hard to justify us keeping him and, beyond the injuries, he has to look at himself as to why he's not delivered on all his potential. But it is a massive shame for both us and for him that he's not become the player everyone wants him to be.

It's impossible to wish him well given he has gone to Cardiff. But he now has an opportunity to prove the doubters (and maybe himself) wrong and finally kick on. It's down to him to take it. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, bpexile said:

I don't wish injury on any player :disapointed2se:

I also don’t wish injury on any player. I think ? CODs time at City was frustrating for all involved as he never really broke the injury cycle. Hopefully that cycle is broken at Cardiff of all places! 

20 hours ago, RedNachos said:

I'm sure COD is a really nice bloke...............but if he had shown grit, determination and consistency, he might have been kept onboard?   I am extremely pleased he has left, as he is exactly the type of player who coasts along, adding nothing to the side, and who Bristol City do not need anywhere near their squad.  Good luck COD, but i feel he will fail at Cardiff, because he does not possess the wherewithal or cojones to succeed IMHO.  A terminally nearly player, who offers so much, but delivers so very little.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Never said otherwise, just that they're still searching for his replacement 

And they will never find it until Bale comes back or they find another player of that calibre.

Whittingham is the best player to have spent most of their career in the championship imo. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree it's a shame. A few years ago I remember the Secret Footballer talking up a teenager at his final club who he felt had the potential to go to the absolute top of the game. There's a general consensus based on the evidence that it was Dave Kitson talking about Callum O'Dowda. 

It's really hard to justify us keeping him and, beyond the injuries, he has to look at himself as to why he's not delivered on all his potential. But it is a massive shame for both us and for him that he's not become the player everyone wants him to be.

It's impossible to wish him well given he has gone to Cardiff. But he now has an opportunity to prove the doubters (and maybe himself) wrong and finally kick on. It's down to him to take it. 

That's interesting.  Sure Callum shares some responsibility but we really failed to get the best from him.   Successive managers seem to pick him regularly, but failed to really play as an out and out winger, which is the player we bought from Oxford.  Not knocking WSM, but if we had got in a pacey centre forward to play alongside Callum on the left and Semenyo on the right we'd have had a devastating counter attacking team. 

14 hours ago, AG City said:

I remember LJ saying he was teaching O’Dowda how to do the Waddle shuffle and drop the shoulder. No sure which made me laugh more, the thought of LJ demo-ing a step over or the fact O’Dowda, as a professional footballer, playing out wide, needed the lesson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CoD certainly did go past players, at least for a period, I remember him doing it, some of his close ball control and trickery was quite decent. But when he was injured and out of the side for long periods, or only used as a sub or as a bit-part player, he probably failed to build up any momentum. In fact, the one move I remember him doing most was simply sprinting as far as he could with the ball, and then when he found a player in the way, just stopping and turning around. Time and again.

Truth is he could have offered us a lot more, but with an extended spell in a side there's certainly a bit of potential there, and that could mean a decent player. Whether that will happen or not at Cardiff, I'm not sure, but it certainly felt like the right time for us and him to part ways, for both side's sake.

I definitely wish him luck (I must add personally, not for Cardiff!), he didn't seem like a bad egg, it just didn't work out.

• Like 1

A ‘good human’ no doubt. In fact, appears to pass that measure with flying colours, and then some. So I wish him every success and happiness in the future (off the field) - the World needs more people like him. 

However, no player encapsulates what has been wrong and why I fell ‘out of love’ with my Club over past 6 years more than he.

The Club’s CoD ‘era’ has finally ended. Praise be.

Roll on the Pearson revolution!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Okies and if Palmer does go to Coventry that good too. Seems we got quick start on going and comings which is great. Let's see what happens next ??

Window only opened today and 3 in already, with one definitely out and another close..

• Thanks 1