IGNORED

Jake Daniels of Blackpool

Bristol Rob

Just now, Major Isewater said:

It’s a bit sad that in the 21st century that it’s deemed newsworthy. 
Good luck to the lad and all others who have the courage to openly be who they are. 
We only get one life.

It is a shame that it is newsworthy, but equally there are probably lots of young people living in the shadows who might be working in an environment where this level of honesty eludes them from being who they are, or living the life they should realistically expect to have because there has been no one before them in such a male dominated setting who during the start of their career has set the trail.

I hope he inspires not just other young people, but others who might now feel a bit more comfortable being who they are.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s a bit sad that in the 21st century that it’s deemed newsworthy. 
Good luck to the lad and all others who have the courage to openly be who they are. 
We only get one life.

You are right Major, the ideal situation would be that it wouldn't even be a subject of discussion. 

Slightly different situation I know, but I remember reading a story about Jim Abbott a professional Baseball Pitcher who despite only being born with one hand played Major League Baseball. He said that his greatest moment was when he had a letter from a fan telling him how terrible he was, giving example after example, but never once mentioned his disability. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wonder how long it will be until a commentator gets grief for the phrase 'stonewall penalty' if he gets tripped in the area.

I'm sure it will trigger someone.

Well, a footballer coming out as gay seems to have triggered you into a crass response.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wonder how long it will be until a commentator gets grief for the phrase 'stonewall penalty' if he gets tripped in the area.

what are you on about?

as for the player, fair play to him, I hope he doesn't get the stick that sadly I feel is inevitably coming his way

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Why is it crass? Clearly my view was shared in the opening message.

I'm grateful you brought such positive news to our attention but nonsense about people being triggered by the word stonewall  detracts from it. I'm happy to accept that was not your intention though.

• Like 1

About 15 years ago, I was mocked on this very forum for creating a thread saying that I felt uncomfortable with homophobic chants… some of the responses were vile.

Now a player comes out as gay and the response is overwhelmingly supportive.  If this forum is representative of our fanbase, it shows how much more inclusive we are at BCFC these days! 

Jake Daniels’ coming out is rather bittersweet. In one sense, it’s a sign of progress that a player is comfortable enough to come out. But it also shows how far we still have to go because in an ideal world, this wouldn’t even be newsworthy.

• Like 15
  • Robin 3

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

About 15 years ago, I was mocked on this very forum for creating a thread saying that I felt uncomfortable with homophobic chants… some of the responses were vile.

Now a player comes out as gay and the response is overwhelmingly supportive.  If this forum is representative of our fanbase, it shows how much more inclusive we are at BCFC these days! 

Jake Daniels’ coming out is rather bittersweet. In one sense, it’s a sign of progress that a player is comfortable enough to come out. But it also shows how far we still have to go because in an ideal world, this wouldn’t even be newsworthy.

I remember an away day at Watford when our ‘ lads’ sang ‘ Elton John is a homosexual ‘ 

I mean I was shocked at the news . 
Bunch of morons

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I remember an away day at Watford when our ‘ lads’ sang ‘ Elton John is a homosexual ‘ 

I mean I was shocked at the news . 
Bunch of morons

I’ll always remember West Ham Away under McInnes. There were a couple of cast members from the Only way is Essex on the pitch at half time. One of them was pretty effeminate and a large portion of the away crowd starting chanting “does he take it up the ass”. 

I’ve been called queer or faggot by fellow City fans on a couple of occasions over the years too.

53 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t score against a team who are losing and going for a equaliser,yes that’s right the old commentator saying “they left the back door open”.let’s get the homosexual jokes out the way

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Stonewall is a charity that has been supporting LBGQT for years, I'm speculating that someone who isn't familiar with the term 'stonewall penalty' will get upset further down the line over the use of the phrase.

Ah, but named after the OG Stonewall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

It’s amazing this is even news to be honest. Says a lot about the game we love. It’s an unfortunate fact that you will get meat heads in the crowd making coarse chants. 

I do believe it’s a generational thing. I don’t see kids nowadays judging sexuality - certainly not from what I’ve seen as to how kids are educated at school

• Like 3