IGNORED

Jake Daniels of Blackpool

Bristol Rob

About time too!

I couldn't give a monkeys about his sexuality, however there will be a certain amount of morons who think its big and brave to sing crass songs about the lad and if that's you, take a look at yourself

Edited by BCFChris
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He may well have been influenced by Nigel Owens and Gareth Thomas both from the very macho sport of rugby and the positive reaction that they got that gave him the confidence to come out.

Rugby crowds are entirely different from football. I doubt your examples have any relevance. Thomas announced he was gay years ago

38 minutes ago, TomF said:

Unfortunately it’s like when the rainbow lace week - a lot of people who’s religion casts sim on homosexual results in many a bad comment. Just go and look at the ‘angry’ face reactions.. 

Yeah, it seems anything sporting related seems a dumpster fire of international *****. 

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

About 15 years ago, I was mocked on this very forum for creating a thread saying that I felt uncomfortable with homophobic chants… some of the responses were vile.

Now a player comes out as gay and the response is overwhelmingly supportive.  If this forum is representative of our fanbase, it shows how much more inclusive we are at BCFC these days! 

Jake Daniels’ coming out is rather bittersweet. In one sense, it’s a sign of progress that a player is comfortable enough to come out. But it also shows how far we still have to go because in an ideal world, this wouldn’t even be newsworthy.

How far we still have to also in the sense that he’s the first feels able to come out. 

9 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Rugby crowds are entirely different from football. I doubt your examples have any relevance. Thomas announced he was gay years ago

You’ve missed the point Tony……………:cool2:

Both Thomas and Owens broke the taboo around homosexuality within mens sport even tho was several years ago.  That took great courage and I’m sure gave Daniels the confidence to come out having seen what positive reaction that both got.

In a way it's comical that it has taken so long for a professional footballer to be honest about this given maybe 2 or 3 per cent of people are gay (IME, not going from any article) so that's a lot of footballers out there keeping it quiet.

Well done to the guy for having the courage to be the first.  IIRC Justin Fashanu came out after his career proper had ended.  Sadly hanged himself a mile or so from where I was living at the time because of accusations from his time coaching in the US.

Round of applause for Jake Daniels for to his own self being true.

Shame there are jokes about this and will be abuse. Just have to hope that the people who make them don’t have family members who are gay.  Can only imagine what it would be like to come out to a family member and be ridiculed for it.  Well done to Jake. Some will say it’s not relevant but listen to opinions from LGBTQ+ people and you will only hear extremely positive reaction to this news 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’ve missed the point Tony……………:cool2:

Both Thomas and Owens broke the taboo around homosexuality within mens sport even tho was several years ago.  That took great courage and I’m sure gave Daniels the confidence to come out having seen what positive reaction that both got.

Jake Daniel’s was probably on his potty when Thomas came out. 

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Jake Daniel’s was probably on his potty when Thomas came out. 

So what?      :dunno:

Absolutely Daniels would have been very aware of both Thomas and Owens coming out. Whilst it’s not hot public news these days I daresay that in the gay community  it’s considered an amazingly courageous step to take and seen as a positive step towards homosexuality becoming normalised in much the same way that heterosexuality is.

Edited by Robbored

Just now, Robbored said:

So what?      :dunno:

Absolutely Daniels would have been very aware of both Thomas and Owens coming out. Whilst it’s not hot public news these days I daresay that in the gay community  it’s considered an amazingly courageous step to take and seen as a positive step towards homosexuality becoming normalised in much the same way that heterosexuality is.

Is there a similar role model in the Bowls Community ?

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Jake is 17. 

Yes I know, but since the HIV diagnosis Thomas has become more vocal, to be what you want to be. So I can sort of see what Robbored is blabbing about. (I know I’ve banged my head a few times defending Robbored) 

Gareth Thomas is in my opinion a great ambassador towards the gay community and shows that there is no reason to hide who you are. 

• Like 1

Jake at 17 and hasn’t rather than come out after a long illustrious career, realising maybe if I came out earlier he’d of been a better player, not get that move because dare I say a manager or club was against it, but right at the start letting the world know, the future is his, this is him, take him as he is, like him then respect and if you don’t, don’t dislike him because of his sexuality.. hopefully has the talent and scores loads, as as I’m sure he will want to be known for most

• Like 1