IGNORED

Jake Daniels of Blackpool

Bristol Rob

Encouraging that there’s only been 1 ‘who cares’ type post so far. 

I was at St James Park Exeter when Justin Fashanu played for Torquay just after coming out. Not sure I’ve heard worse abuse aimed at an individual. I’m much more optimistic that Jake will get a better reception.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t score against a team who are losing and going for a equaliser,yes that’s right the old commentator saying “they left the back door open”.let’s get the homosexual jokes out the way

Just...no

12 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Shame there are jokes about this and will be abuse. Just have to hope that the people who make them don’t have family members who are gay.  Can only imagine what it would be like to come out to a family member and be ridiculed for it.  Well done to Jake. Some will say it’s not relevant but listen to opinions from LGBTQ+ people and you will only hear extremely positive reaction to this news 

A former friend's child came out, and was disowned.

Note I say "former friend"...?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

A former friend's child came out, and was disowned.

Note I say "former friend"...?

Similar to what happened with one of my former friends. Cut his daughter out of his life post her sex change.  Absolute See You Next Tuesday.  Astonishing to turn your back on your own offspring. These people need to be disowned. 

• Sad 3

Incredibly brave lad. We all know what some crowds can be like, Brighton still regularly receive homophobic chanting. 

It’s refreshing to see the support he’s receiving and I think it’s obvious that society has moved on dramatically since for example Fashanu came out.

For those saying who cares or why’s this a story - it’s not about declaring his sexuality, it’s about being able to be comfortable with who he is. I’m glad he feels he can do this and hopefully he’ll inspire many other people.

A lad in my team came out a couple of years ago. No one has treated him any different, he’s still the same person. I’m sure most teams up and down the country would react the same these days.

12 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Encouraging that there’s only been 1 ‘who cares’ type post so far. 

I was at St James Park Exeter when Justin Fashanu played for Torquay just after coming out. Not sure I’ve heard worse abuse aimed at an individual. I’m much more optimistic that Jake will get a better reception.

To be fair, no one should care, it shouldn't be a special thing coming out as gay, it should be normal and everyone should be accepting of it,

Sadly that's not the world we live in, but I do have the upmost respect for this young lad, it can't of been easy for him

Wow did anyone just hear Simon Jordan going off on this? Bizarre 

undoubtably just trying to be contrary but he went in two footed on fashnus niece who was on the show to celebrate this brave move

jordan was trumpeting “I don’t care if he’s gay, it’s his business why do we need to know?” Which was pretty upsetting to listen to.

perfect world, this isn’t a thing of course but for that knob to fail to understand why this is a brave and important thing to do in the sphere of football is absolutely maddening 

• Sad 1

Just now, Fjmcity said:

undoubtably just trying to be contrary but he went in two footed on fashnus niece who was on the show to celebrate this brave move

jordan was trumpeting “I don’t care if he’s gay, it’s his business why do we need to know?” Which was pretty upsetting to listen to.

perfect world, this isn’t a thing of course but for that knob to fail to understand why this is a brave and important thing to do in the sphere of football is absolutely maddening 

I can see Jordans point of view, I think he's trying to say it shouldn't be an issue, but Jordan is a mouthy dickcheese and shouldn't be given the platform he is on, 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I can see Jordans point of view, I think he's trying to say it shouldn't be an issue, but Jordan is a mouthy dickcheese and shouldn't be given the platform he is on, 

Completely agree and for the vast majority of people it isn’t an issue. However there are taboos to break in football for sure.. while this guy is not a world or even local superstar yet he is in the public eye, so he probably felt he could not live his life without a ‘coming out’ because otherwise it would be done for him while he was just trying to be himself away from football and maybe not in the way he would have liked. You wouldn’t bat an eyelid twice at a black player now but that was not the case before, same with a player who just happens to be gay. They are just starting that journey now in industry where meaningful or causal homophobia is still rife

tolerated Jordan before as some of his insight into running a club has been interesting but that was summit else 

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Incredibly brave lad. We all know what some crowds can be like, Brighton still regularly receive homophobic chanting. 

I don't want to digress too much from the heartwarming story of this brave young man, but I always felt that the 'homophobic chanting' directed at Brighton fans was more in the line of friendly banter.

Whilst there have been some awful homophobic chants against certain individuals - no need to repeat them all on here, but some that stick in my mind include the ubiquitous 'Chelsea rentboy' at any young Chelsea loanee and various chants over the years directed towards Graeme Le Saux, who, to his embarrassment, was found, not only to have attended university but also to read The Guardian and have an interest in art ? - the Brighton chants seemed to be more in the line of 'We can see you holding hands'.

Anyway, Well Done young Jake Daniels and Good Luck.     

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Someone like Jordon should sit and listen with an open mind as to why it’s so important. Listen to gay peoples opinion on it with an open mind and a willingness to actually understand.  

Yeh no willingness at all was there, very uncomfortable 

16 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

In fairness he's right. Shame this is even a story.

Good to read the overwhelmingly positive reaction to this on here. Someone's sexuality should be nothing to do with their ability to play football (or do any job for that matter) 
As for the 'Stonewall penalty' comment; I found it mildly amusing tbh - and I'm sure that Jake would also be able to smile at it. Being gay doesn't automatically mean that you have no sense of humour. 

I totally agree that the only sad thing about this is its newsworthiness - but we've come a long way to-date and people like Jake can only help push things along towards a day when someone's sexuality really doesn't raise any eyebrows any more.

Sadly, knowing football fans in general, I suspect that there will be a tiny number of moronic idiots at some grounds who will see fit to use it to chant some stuff, but if that happens I'm sure that they get dealt with quickly and severely by their own supporters and clubs. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Someone like Jordon should sit and listen with an open mind as to why it’s so important. Listen to gay peoples opinion on it with an open mind and a willingness to actually understand.  

We could all do with that to be fair sometimes,

Whether that be sexuality, political views religion or take that vs East 17,

We are can be guilty of echo chamber mentally and not taking other opinions on board,

Your last sentence stands out

A willingness to actually understand,

Good powerful words ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Good to read the overwhelmingly positive reaction to this on here. Someone's sexuality should be nothing to do with their ability to play football (or do any job for that matter) 

As for the 'Stonewall penalty' comment; I found it mildly amusing tbh - and I'm sure that Jake would also be able to smile at it. Being gay doesn't automatically mean that you have no sense of humour. 

Indeed, nor does it take away their (homosexuals) ability to take the piss, both out of themselves and, on this particular occasion, out of me.

Many years ago, I attended a house party as a young, heterosexual man, where (at least) three of the guests were homosexual, including one who was quite openly effeminate.

In the early hours of the morning, when most of the guests had departed, I was looking for somewhere to sleep, and the only bedroom with any space left was the bedroom occupied by these three men.

I opened the door, apologised - explaining that I was just looking for somewhere to sleep - and received several minutes of bawdy piss taking encouraging me to come and join them, promising me that they would behave themselves and be gentle with me etc.

I should stress that I knew all three of them, and we were quite good friends, but a good laugh was had by all, especially at breakfast the following morning when the story was recounted - and embellished considerably ?

There is nothing wrong with 'banter', providing it is done in good faith.

15 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Just putting it out there to see what the response would be if a player came out as a MAP, without committing any illegal act.
Would being an open MAP also be classed as being brave & something we should celebrate, in the same way as coming out as gay?

Wtf does MAP mean? 

• Like 1

What is the general feeling about somebody who is gay i.e finds a member of there own sex physically attractive sharing showers and changing rooms? it's seems to be the Elephant in the room that nobody has yet discussed. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it personally and am wondering what the players at the club feel about it and whether some might feel a little uncomfortable and ask that he uses separate changing and washing facilities, I would like to add that I have nothing against him for being gay but would be interested to hear what others think about the situation.    

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

What is the general feeling about somebody who is gay i.e finds a member of there own sex physically attractive sharing showers and changing rooms? it's seems to be the Elephant in the room that nobody has yet discussed. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it personally and am wondering what the players at the club feel about it and whether some might feel a little uncomfortable and ask that he uses separate changing and washing facilities, I would like to add that I have nothing against him personally or being gay but would be interested to hear what others think about the situation.    

Are you actually being serious?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

What is the general feeling about somebody who is gay i.e finds a member of there own sex physically attractive sharing showers and changing rooms? it's seems to be the Elephant in the room that nobody has yet discussed. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it personally and am wondering what the players at the club feel about it and whether some might feel a little uncomfortable and ask that he uses separate changing and washing facilities, I would like to add that I have nothing against him personally or being gay but would be interested to hear what others think about the situation.    

Why would you be uncomfortable? 

• Like 4