IGNORED

Jake Daniels of Blackpool

Bristol Rob

6 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Just to reassure Pillred - my 26 year old son is gay, and to the best of my knowledge has never buggered anyone in the public change rooms when he goes swimming.

Consensually or against their will.

I'm so proud of him, resisting all that beefcake and behaving appropriately.

I hope you feel safe enough to return to a public changing area.

If this post triggers you - my apologies for any medical assistance you may require.

Hang on - the phones ringing.......

It's 1974 and it's asking for you Pillred....

We used to play rugby with a guy in the 90's, and none of us had a clue about his sexuality until he felt he needed to share.  Some were a bit disappointed there were no indications in the scrum but everyone accepted his choice he didn't get dropped or anything daft and we moved on, the only difference was he felt able to bring his partner to games after that.

• Like 1

Well done to Jake for choosing to live his life the way he wants to.  

Yes, it shouldn't be a big deal in 2022, but it is in the world of professional sport.  Very brave and I hope it makes it easier for others to do the same. 

I went to Birthmarked last night at the Old Vic.   The story of a young man who's decision to be himself came at huge cost to himself and his family because of the community in which he was raised.   Very moving and positive.  Unfortunately, the circumstances in which some people find themselves still makes these decisions unbearably difficult.   Live a lie and suffer mentally with this, or be yourself and become ostracised.  It is still a big deal to many. 

To anyone that would like to understand a little more about the dilemma some still face, I thoroughly recommend it.  

https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/birthmarked

7 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

We used to play rugby with a guy in the 90's, and none of us had a clue about his sexuality until he felt he needed to share.  Some were a bit disappointed there were no indications in the scrum but everyone accepted his choice he didn't get dropped or anything daft and we moved on, the only difference was he felt able to bring his partner to games after that.

Put your tin hat on

On 17/05/2022 at 13:38, pillred said:

Because as a gay man he would find looking at other fit young men undressed sexually exiting, and that's my final word on the subject, if it doesn't bother you great me as I have said would find it a bit uncomfortable and I don't feel the need to apologise to you or anyone else for having that opinion.

Ahhh I see what it is you said that upset people, here is the flaw in your thinking.  I mentioned a lad I played rugby with who came out, it wasn't until we met his partner that  some of us got a bit more educated, his partner was a small, slight lad who was very effeminate, he was overtly gay in the way Alan Carr is gay mannerisms kind of way, so that's the kind of guy he found attractive, not a strapping young lad in the rugby showers, just because he likes boys doesn't mean he likes them all in a completely uncontrolled way.  Conversely continental saunas are a little disconcerting for about 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 12:06, pillred said:

What is the general feeling about somebody who is gay i.e finds a member of there own sex physically attractive sharing showers and changing rooms? it's seems to be the Elephant in the room that nobody has yet discussed. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it personally and am wondering what the players at the club feel about it and whether some might feel a little uncomfortable and ask that he uses separate changing and washing facilities, I would like to add that I have nothing against him for being gay but would be interested to hear what others think about the situation.    

• Flames 1

On 17/05/2022 at 11:02, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don't want to digress too much from the heartwarming story of this brave young man, but I always felt that the 'homophobic chanting' directed at Brighton fans was more in the line of friendly banter.

Whilst there have been some awful homophobic chants against certain individuals - no need to repeat them all on here, but some that stick in my mind include the ubiquitous 'Chelsea rentboy' at any young Chelsea loanee and various chants over the years directed towards Graeme Le Saux, who, to his embarrassment, was found, not only to have attended university but also to read The Guardian and have an interest in art ? - the Brighton chants seemed to be more in the line of 'We can see you holding hands'.

Anyway, Well Done young Jake Daniels and Good Luck.     

Whilst I think I'd probably agree with the intention (for most people), the reality is that it's not just "banter". You wouldn't accept it as banter if the subject of the chant was race or colour.

On 17/05/2022 at 11:48, Lewisdabaron said:

Just putting it out there to see what the response would be if a player came out as a MAP, without committing any illegal act.
Would being an open MAP also be classed as being brave & something we should celebrate, in the same way as coming out as gay?

One of the strangest comments posted on this forum ?

On 17/05/2022 at 14:24, richwwtk said:

It's a shame that it isn't a single poster.

Somebody did exactly the same thing over in the politics forum during a discussion about transgender people using changing rooms. The difference was over there people leapt to his defence when I called him out on it!

I stopped viewing the politics forum many years ago, absolute bin fire over there.

On 17/05/2022 at 14:24, richwwtk said:

It's a shame that it isn't a single poster.

Somebody did exactly the same thing over in the politics forum during a discussion about transgender people using changing rooms. The difference was over there people leapt to his defence when I called him out on it!

I stopped viewing the politics forum many years ago, absolute bin fire over there.

• Like 1