IGNORED

Derek McInnes talks of his time at Bristol City

SydneyCity

5 hours ago, RonWalker said:

Everyone remembers things differently but I’m surprised how positively McInnes is remembered - and especially to the point of being one of our most talented managers. 

No doubt the club was a financial and logistical mess back then, he’s spot on, and he did have a difficult hand to work with.

But look at the guys he brought in… Stephen Pearson, Richard Foster, not only limited footballers but not great for dressing room unity either.

Add to that going 11 league games without a win, with a bad squad but not one bad enough for those results. And then dropping Tom Heaton because he’d run out of other ideas during that time, which ended up lowering the morale even further, and you start to think he’s got to take some responsibility along the line. 

We were a shambles of a club, but he has to take some responsibility for that.

Without any substantial transfer fund, he brought in players that he knew in an effort to break the stranglehold that some City players held in the dressing room even if on the pitch performances were poor.

Does that sound familiar? Exactly what Pearson did. It's working for Pearson because we were able to have a significant clear out at the end of his first season.

• Like 2

I think the comments about McInnes signing some rubbish are a little harsh. Firstly, which manager doesn't? Secondly, he was effectively a foreign manager, unfamiliar with the English leagues. Where was the scouting? And who signed it off? If he had someone with nous as DoF...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Taz said:

His hand was forced in some respect because of the finances (sounds familiar), but as others have pointed out he himself signed some absolute dross.

If you were SL and were watching him sign the likes of Pearson, Bates,  Foster, and Morris, why would you trust him with even more money? It's not as if these were cheap players that looked great and worked hard, and I'd be thinking "If I've given you a limited pot of £x and that's what you do with it, then there ain't a hope in hells chance that you're getting more!"

⬇️⬇️⬇️

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I think the comments about McInnes signing some rubbish are a little harsh. Firstly, which manager doesn't? Secondly, he was effectively a foreign manager, unfamiliar with the English leagues. Where was the scouting? And who signed it off? If he had someone with nous as DoF...

Who had come in as a “football consultant” during McInnes’s reign, sacked the Chief Scout Russ Richardson and introduced a Recruitment database?

You’ve guessed it?

Old Smarmy Bollocks himself - Mark Ashton.

I can’t comment on McInnes’s reign that much as I wasn’t watching City much at that time…but an interesting coincidence!! ?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Which manager was it that consistently picked Liam Fontaine, when week after week Fontaine was costing us goals, making mistakes and was literally crumbling on the pitch?

I really felt for Fontaine as he was a really decent defender, and when he was going through a rough patch he should've been left out, given time to get his head right, but instead was left to almost breakdown in front of our eyes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Ha. The years of underachieving all blurred into one big haze. ?

Ah well, fair play to SO’D then in that case. 

In fairness to you had the game gone ahead when it should’ve instead of being postponed at the last minute then McInnes would’ve been in charge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Quite probably, but without anything more, just adding in dates for a narrative. 

The only thing that comes up during Dels Reign is  MA's Grove Life support stuff. 

Pretty much everywhere has him employed by us since 2016 only.. 

Check out Tactical Change Ltd. ????

Just for info, don’t forget McInnes took on Richardson again at Aberdeen.  Not the actions of a manager who thought his Chief Scout wasn’t up to the job! ???

Bloke come across as a drip when he talks about his time here imo. Done many of these interviews now where it’s very woe is me. Did the club force him to play strikers on the wing, constantly change formation game on game and sign a load of shite from Scotland?

Interesting he says that the club had been flirting with relegation for too many seasons…must’ve dreamt the play off final in 2008 and narrowly missing out of the play offs in 2009!!

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Atticus said:

Exactly. The love in for Mcinnes because he said some nice things about City is a bit much.

He signed some utter dross for us that were never going to be good enough. Just compounded the bloated squad, which imo didn't start to be corrected until SOD.

Who was recruitment consultant when mciines was in charge ? He’s now ceo at Ipswich 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I find it hard to believe Ashton would’ve forced him to sign Pearson, Foster, McManus, Wilson and Bates

Believe what you want , but there’s a lot of similarities to some of the overpaid underachieving rubbish we’ve signed over Ashtons latest reign of terror .

Edited by steviestevieneville

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

I find it hard to believe Ashton would’ve forced him to sign Pearson, Foster, McManus, Wilson and Bates

Ashton was a contractor at that stage, not a club employee. He joined Oxford as CEO very shortly after McInnes's departure. City were not his only client. He might have Stevie Wonder's eye for a good buy, but you are quite correct in saying he couldn't "force" the club to buy anyone.  We can't just deploy the standard boogie-man to excuse some of the calamities that went on in that era. We set up poorly, our selections were illogical, substitutions were made too late or with the wrong players, often the team just looked beaten well before the match had ended. All the manager's job. 

• Like 3

On 18/05/2022 at 07:16, cidered abroad said:

Without any substantial transfer fund, he brought in players that he knew in an effort to break the stranglehold that some City players held in the dressing room even if on the pitch performances were poor.

Does that sound familiar? Exactly what Pearson did. It's working for Pearson because we were able to have a significant clear out at the end of his first season.

Eh? Pearson has worked within a very limited framework, possibly worse than McInnes’ but it’s difficult to tell 10 years apart.

Difference is we aren’t heading for League One…

• Thanks 1