IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

• Admin

England have named their initial squad before getting moved down to the final 23 for the squad. 

Biggest notable absence is Arsenal's Jordan Nobbs

50 days to the first game 

Provisional squad for UEFA EURO 2022

Goalkeepers: 

Mary Earps (Manchester United), Hannah Hampton (Aston Villa), Sandy MacIver (Everton), Ellie Roebuck (Manchester City)

Defenders: 

Millie Bright (Chelsea), Lucy Bronze (Manchester City), Jess Carter (Chelsea), Niamh Charles (Chelsea), Rachel Daly (Houston Dash), Alex Greenwood (Manchester City), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Demi Stokes (Manchester City), Lotte Wubben-Moy (Arsenal)

Midfielders: 

Fran Kirby (Chelsea), Jill Scott (Aston Villa, loan from Manchester City), Lucy Staniforth (Manchester United), Georgia Stanway (Manchester City), Ella Toone (Manchester United), Keira Walsh (Manchester City), Leah Williamson (Arsenal),  Katie Zelem (Manchester United)

Forwards: 

Bethany England (Chelsea), Lauren Hemp (Manchester City), Chloe Kelly (Manchester City), Beth Mead (Arsenal), Nikita Parris (Arsenal), Alessia Russo (Manchester United), Ellen White (Manchester City)

• Like 2

The first of the 3 warm up games start tonight on ITV4. No real surprises in the squad with Houghton missing out through lack of fitness.  

Team for tonight against Belgium 

England XI: Earps, Bronze, Stokes, Walsh, Bright, Wubben-Moy, Mead, Williamson, White, Stanway, Hemp.

Subs: Daly, Hampton, Kirby, Toone, Parris, Kelly, Greenwood, England, Scott, Roebuck, Russo, Carter.

Interesting to see how we do in the middle of the park.  Very good chance we go a long way In the Euros under a good manager. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 15:05, phantom said:

England have named their initial squad before getting moved down to the final 23 for the squad. 

Biggest notable absence is Arsenal's Jordan Nobbs

50 days to the first game 

Provisional squad for UEFA EURO 2022

The final squad of 23 was confirmed yesterday. As was somewhat expected by many, Steph Houghton was not included due to her injury (as well as being dropped as captain anyway)
FVT587zXsAEIKLg?format=jpg&name=small

40 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The first of the 3 warm up games start tonight on ITV4. No real surprises in the squad with Houghton missing out through lack of fitness.  

Team for tonight against Belgium 

England XI: Earps, Bronze, Stokes, Walsh, Bright, Wubben-Moy, Mead, Williamson, White, Stanway, Hemp.

Subs: Daly, Hampton, Kirby, Toone, Parris, Kelly, Greenwood, England, Scott, Roebuck, Russo, Carter.

Interesting to see how we do in the middle of the park.  Very good chance we go a long way In the Euros under a good manager. 

Funny but needed clarification from the Lionesses' Twitter...

• Admin
14 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

3-0 England. Probably another goal to come tonight. Why no VAR  when there will be in the next match at Elland Road. Surely it should be available at all 3 friendlies or not at all?

I don't know the answer, but was VAR not used at the mens game Vs Hungary two days earlier?

Surprised this wasn't mentioned on here. I was at a gig in London at the time, so I didn't watch it live.
Anyway, England beat Netherlands 5-1 in a warm-up at Elland Road on Friday night. To make it confusing, the Netherlands played in their away kit with white shirts, and England played in their all orange away kit!

Final warm up for the Lionesses tonight in Switzerland and a 4-0 win after a goalless first half. This squad oozes class, if only the men were half as good. The strength off the bench is phenomenal, with two of tonight's goals coming from substitutes. But what impresses me most is that they can change their style and remain strong. Williamson played in the back 4 tonight instead of midfield as they only utilised the one pivot in Walsh, which probably suits her better. They left top scorer Ellen White on the bench and used Russo, and then Beth England at centre forward and both scored. We are very strong wide but they all offer something different. There is a world of difference between the play of Lauren Hemp and Nikita Parris in particular but both Chloe Kelly and Beth Mead are very effective too. I don't want to say that the Euros are coming home but it's going to take a very good side to beat them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Walked into Sports Direct today, six days before a Euros tournament on home soil, and not a single England shirt or any Euros merchandise on sale.

I’m quite happy to see the women’s game develop and I think that’s really disappointing - and surprising.

There's a full range online, so it seems odd they wouldn't have anything in store :dunno:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/uefa-euro-2022

I know its a bit late in the day to say this but the venues for the Womens Euros are bizarre.

There's no representation in the Midlands at all and nothing in the West / South West.

I completely understand that some games will draw bigger crowds than others hence the vastly different sizes of venue but the locations are either all in the North West or South East.

37 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I know its a bit late in the day to say this but the venues for the Womens Euros are bizarre.

There's no representation in the Midlands at all and nothing in the West / South West.

I completely understand that some games will draw bigger crowds than others hence the vastly different sizes of venue but the locations are either all in the North West or South East.

I actually know a lot more about this. When England made the bid a few years ago; they did approach loads of city/town councils.

Unfortunately, those in Bristol & surrounding areas did not express interest - hence why Ashton Gate isn't hosting games, for example.

It was during this time that women's football wasn't as big as it is now; so there was indeed some underestimation.
There's nothing in the North East either.

There would have been games at the City Ground in Nottingham; but they pulled out after deciding to do pitch renovations (and giving the Premier League promotion, was timed rather well) - and so got replaced by Leigh Sports Village, where Man United Women play; but is a much smaller ground

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2