IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

It really does seem like a missed opportunity for a lot of clubs and for spreading the womens game around the country more widely.

Ashton Gate or Home Park would have obviously been sensible choices in the South West while the Midlands has multiple options and, as you said, the North East as well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Bristol & surrounding areas did not express interest - hence why Ashton Gate isn't hosting games

Strange seeing that the Gate has held the Cup Final and an England game here before. Perhaps there are other conflicts of interests, like Sir Elton taking over for a while. I think it's reasonable to assume the club made more money from the concerts.

• Admin
1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Just put this on my Twitter, but got a new Bristol City/England flag made. Plan on taking it to the Euros, and then to Ashton Gate & the RHPC from the new season.

If it ends up on TV during any of the games, then that's a bonus!FW5wFkHWYAAnpw_?format=jpg&name=900x900

Hopefully see you at Wembley with it in a few weeks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Just put this on my Twitter, but got a new Bristol City/England flag made. Plan on taking it to the Euros, and then to Ashton Gate & the RHPC from the new season.

If it ends up on TV during any of the games, then that's a bonus!FW5wFkHWYAAnpw_?format=jpg&name=900x900

Are you at Old Trafford tomorrow night? Will look out for the flag if so - my son and I are in the Stretford End.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Are you at Old Trafford tomorrow night? Will look out for the flag if so - my son and I are in the Stretford End.

Indeed I am (gutted I'll be missing the Supporters Club & Trust meeting though)! Will be in the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand, which is apparently the stand the main TV cameras face at. If you see me/the flag before, you're welcome to come over

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Alexia Putellas out of the tournament with a torn ACL

Massive loss for Spain 

Absolutely huge news. Won't just affect Spain, but Barcelona when the new season starts

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Indeed I am (gutted I'll be missing the Supporters Club & Trust meeting though)! Will be in the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand, which is apparently the stand the main TV cameras face at. If you see me/the flag before, you're welcome to come over

Absolutely huge news. Won't just affect Spain, but Barcelona when the new season starts

Cheers - will keep an eye out!

• Like 1

On my way up to Old Trafford now.

Posted some tweets, and soon received a call from someone at BBC Radio Bristol.

Anyway, I'm due to appear on James Hanson's Breakfast Show tomorrow morning at 7:25am to talk about tonight's game!

Will be the first time in a while I've done radio other than Sound of the City...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Southgate would be crucified for this shit performance, half their team are part timers

The quality with the final pass is really poor from england, it wont take much for austria to get a decent clear chance in the last 10 minutes, and if they do equalise england only have themselves to blame

All in all, a fairly steady start. The big build-up, the big crowd and there was not a huge amount to be concerned about. Given Austria are no mugs, they were solid and well organised but didn't have enought to worry us. Seeing as most of their players are part-timers, it was no surprise they ran out of steam in the second half. The triple-substitution was an odd one, I thought, but seems to be giving time for the strikers' benefit. Perhaps keeping the starters on would have brought better yields over a full 90 minutes.

However, I feel this England team have much more to offer and this opening match will not be the definitive version. A few players were not tested too much, particularly the defence and it will be worth seeing them put under more scrutiny in the next games. Overall a work(wo)manlike performance and one to build on nicely as the tournament progresses. Definitely not peaked too early.

Good work from Stanway in the middle, where the game is often won or lost. Hemp was always available but didn't pull up tree-stumps tonight. She will grow. Millie Bright stopped most of Autria's infrequent attacks, and the front line looked more than useful - if a little rusty. This England team has all the tools to do the job; the first game is a win, and one to build on.

Interesting to note that 71,000 tickets were sold but only 68,000 actually showed up. Did the touts make a mistake or has the cost of petrol put some off?

• Admin
34 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Any idea why UEFA/FA banished the word OLD from OLD TRAFFORD on their advertising hoarding/graphics boards around the ground? Very strange indeed. Only thing I can think of is the pride/inclusive nature of todays politically correct snowflakes. ?

Did UEFA / FA actually banish the word? 

36 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Any idea why UEFA/FA banished the word OLD from OLD TRAFFORD on their advertising hoarding/graphics boards around the ground? Very strange indeed. Only thing I can think of is the pride/inclusive nature of todays politically correct snowflakes. ?

I would imagine it was to do with the fact the game was played in Trafford - you normally see the host city on the central hoarding rather than the stadium name (yes, I appreciate Trafford isn't a city!).

• Like 2

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

I would imagine it was to do with the fact the game was played in Trafford - you normally see the host city on the central hoarding rather than the stadium name (yes, I appreciate Trafford isn't a city!).

Screenshot_20220706-232143_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-232152_Messenger.jpg

• Like 2

• Admin

Great attendance but as soon as the crowd started turning their phone lights on and then doing the Mexican wave it kind of changes the vibe compared to a men's game. 

Clearly many tickets sold to schools etc

But it's things like this that makes me cringe 

Screenshot_20220706-232115_Messenger.jpg