IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

Currently in the car heading back from Old Trafford. I haven't seen the game back at all, so don't know how it came across - as well if the flag made it on screen or not. Good result but I think there were plenty more chances could have had. Zinsberger kept Austria in the game & was definitely busier than Earps.

Probably showing my age/getting more into football, but I didn't join in when the Mexican wave started, nor did I want to get involved with the beach ball!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

But it's things like this that makes me cringe 

So with that songbook etc; supporter clubs/groups were asked to contribute. Unfortunately, Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust couldn't take part as there are no Bristol City players in the England squad.

But groups I know of used their own songs for their players at their respective clubs

• Like 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

So with that songbook etc; supporter clubs/groups were asked to contribute. Unfortunately, Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust couldn't take part as there are no Bristol City players in the England squad.

But groups I know of used their own songs for their players at their respective clubs

I find it really sad that the words to 

ENG ER LAND

ENG ER LAND 

etc etc have to be written 

On TV the crowd looked very young in age so maybe that was why? 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

I find it really sad that the words to 

ENG ER LAND

ENG ER LAND 

etc etc have to be written 

On TV the crowd looked very young in age so maybe that was why? 

I suppose it's a starting point. But yep, an experienced/longtime fan would probably have common sense to realise a chant like that would exist, or wouldn't need to be written out ?

I was there tonight with my 11 year old son. It was our first ever women’s match.

It’s a very different experience to a mens game. I can understand that the Mexican waves and phone lights might grate for some but I think you have to go accepting that it’s just a different vibe to the mens game - and there’s nothing inherently wrong with that. It’s a less intense and more friendly experience that will give some people - especially young children - a gentler introduction to the game.

I thought it was great to see so many kids there, and roughly an even split of girls and boys, from very young kids with parents up to teens with their mates. And it was very affordable too - I’ve seen people sneer at the ticket prices as if to say it’s the only reason it sold out - so what?! It’s a good thing to have a more affordable alternative that appeals to families, especially at times like this. Clearly there’s a market for it.

I also love the fact that my son knows the women players just like he does the mens - we watched them get off the bus and he named them all one by one, and he could pick each of them out from the back of the Stretford End!

A really good, fun night out - we had a great time.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Any idea why UEFA/FA banished the word OLD from OLD TRAFFORD on their advertising hoarding/graphics boards around the ground? Very strange indeed. Only thing I can think of is the pride/inclusive nature of todays politically correct snowflakes?

That's the most random comment I've seen on here for quite some time, and that takes some doing!

• Like 1

I was cynical of the wave and the lights, and the DJ set before the game was poor (just put hi ho silver lining on), however...

...it was wonderful that whenever we lost the ball or made a mistake, there were few groans and moans. No overweight, unfit, middle aged fan declaring how they could do better through mouthfuls of pie. It was so positive, and as such, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just need to learn more than one chant though. Will be at St Marys next week.

• Like 4

On 06/07/2022 at 08:16, ChippenhamRed said:

Cheers - will keep an eye out!

Glad you enjoyed the game @ChippenhamRed.

I did bump into a few fans wearing City shirts last night. Hopefully you were able to see my flag in the end!

Did manage to hang it up, but I am not sure if the ad boards got in the way of the TV camera view (I haven't seen the game back yet)

DSC_9110.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I was cynical of the wave and the lights, and the DJ set before the game was poor (just put hi ho silver lining on), however...

...it was wonderful that whenever we lost the ball or made a mistake, there were few groans and moans. No overweight, unfit, middle aged fan declaring how they could do better through mouthfuls of pie. It was so positive, and as such, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just need to learn more than one chant though. Will be at St Marys next week.

Will be at St Mary's too next Friday. Will have the Bristol City/England flag as well

On 06/07/2022 at 12:13, shahanshahan said:

Anyway, I'm due to appear on James Hanson's Breakfast Show tomorrow morning at 7:25am to talk about tonight's game!

Will be the first time in a while I've done radio other than Sound of the City...

Didn't get back home until 1:45am, and still woke up in time for doing radio then go to work!

Segment starts at 1:25:51

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ccwxb9

Norway v Northern Ireland from Southampton now on BBC One.

Jonathan Pearce on co-commentary. Waiting to see if he'll slip in his mandatory City reference. The two I can think of is that Laura Rafferty was once on loan at City, and that FA Cup game at St Mary's in January... 

23 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

I didn't join in when the Mexican wave started

A sure sign that you understand football and respect it over mere gestures, boredom or trying to get your fizzog on the telly. I commend you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Super said:

Might be harsh here but how did NI qualify?

*Checks again as even I don't fully remember*

Finished 2nd in their qualifying group. Norway topped it, with Wales 3rd, Belarus 4th & Faroe Islands 5th.

Northern Ireland beat Ukraine in the play-offs back in 2021.

The bottom photo doesn't quite do it justice, but the flag (or the top of it) did appear on screen a few times on Wednesday. You can see the BS3 can't you?

There'd have been a great shot when Beth Mead walked right past us as she was subbed off, but the TV camera cut straight to Alessia Russo on the pitch...

DSC_9088.JPG

DSC_9139.JPG

As if anyone needed telling but last nights trouncing of Denmark showed you that you can never rule out Germany in a football tournament. They may not have been fancied going into the Euro's but the 8 times champions showed that they still have what it takes. It will take a good team to beat the Lionesses but I'm hoping we can avoid the Germans in the quarter finals. Germany's game, against Spain will peak my interest. 

• Like 1

Agreed, RFN. The times when German teams are not up to speed in a tournament are rare; dismiss them at your peril. Despite the loss of two fundamental starters, the Spanish are another team that look very slick. Both the Fins and the Danes were good opponents, solid and showing no undue deference, but were not at the same level. I think the Germany-Spain game on Tuesday will be a great one.

If England finish top of the group, we'll play the runner-up of Group B (Gruppe des Todes/Grupo de la Muerte), which will probably be one of the two.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Watching Belgium v Iceland. Jonathan Pearce on co-comms. He made a City reference!

I'm watching too. I wonder how many City references he can get in before the end. We really ought to have a charity sweep every time Jonathan is on commentary , time of first City reference, number of City references in a game etc

• Haha 1

France showing why they're the favourites. After Italy squandered an early chance it's been all France. The Italians could, and should, defend better but France's passing has been so slick, and matched to their skill and pace is simply too much for the opposition. 5-0 half time thus could reach double figures.