IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On field ref completely undermined by VAR….stick to your guns, you were right.  Ridiculous use of VAR.

7 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Italy red card review- changed to yellow! Jesus suffering Christ. Almost cut the French player in half. One of the worst challenges I’ve seen in years. Not sure this is proper footy.

I’m not watching the game, so missed it.

Do you or anyone have a link to the incident?

If not, don’t worry, as I am sure I will be able to find something on French media.

Now that every team has played, form has some meaning. Although the overall standard is higher than ever this tournament, it is clear that some nations have moved the game on much more than others. I have been impressed by the Germans and the Spanish, but there is one team that is head and shoulders above the rest: France. They were frightening tonight in demolishing the Italians. Les Bleus blew them away.

Every player looked comfortable on the ball, technically superior and talented. The side has a clear pattern, with ability to change the shape if needed and the mood looked united (in contrast to some of the reports coming out of the camp in the build-up).

What really makes the contrast is the speed, the accuracy of passing, the rapid and positive movement off the ball and the confidence shown by the French. They have all the tools to do the job against anyone.

I realise that it is still early and momentum is a vital aspect of a winning team, but I suspect the bookies will have shortened the odds now. Of course I hope England will emerge with growing strength but for now I cannot see past the French. It may be that the only team that can beat them is themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

Now that every team has played, form has some meaning. Although the overall standard is higher than ever this tournament, it is clear that some nations have moved the game on much more than others. I have been impressed by the Germans and the Spanish, but there is one team that is head and shoulders above the rest: France. They were frightening tonight in demolishing the Italians. Les Bleus blew them away.

Every player looked comfortable on the ball, technically superior and talented. The side has a clear pattern, with ability to change the shape if needed and the mood looked united (in contrast to some of the reports coming out of the camp in the build-up).

What really makes the contrast is the speed, the accuracy of passing, the rapid and positive movement off the ball and the confidence shown by the French. They have all the tools to do the job against anyone.

I realise that it is still early and momentum is a vital aspect of a winning team, but I suspect the bookies will have shortened the odds now. Of course I hope England will emerge with growing strength but for now I cannot see past the French. It may be that the only team that can beat them is themselves.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the power of the French. For me that is what sets them apart. The best team so far in the competition and the match v Italy could have easily finished 12-3.

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m not watching the game, so missed it.

Do you or anyone have a link to the incident?

If not, don’t worry, as I am sure I will be able to find something on French media.

Thought it was a yellow myself. A challenge that looked worse than it actually was

45 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Thanks for sharing.

One of those where I’m surprised VAR intervened. Would have imagined you’d go with the on field referee’s decision for that one.

Perhaps the last second attempt to pull out of the tackle saved her?

Yeah exactly that. Could be red or yellow really, so would expect it to stay with whatever the on field decision was, as there's no clear and obvious error.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

All the Lionesses games have been sold out for months. Clearly plenty of demand and lots of people who will have missed out. So why so many empty seats? FA really need to explain and sort it out. It’s a terrible look in every sense.

Weren't there quite a few train cancellations today?