IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This england women's team are a pleasure to watch. Love seeing all the girl-dads and their babes just loving it. ❤️ not having the lack of quality argument these girls are ******* good. 

The control and first touch to take it round an opponent is as good as the mens.

I did enjoy the interview when Georgia Stanway said having the crowd was like “a twelfth man… I mean woman”

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This england women's team are a pleasure to watch. Love seeing all the girl-dads and their babes just loving it. ❤️ not having the lack of quality argument these girls are ******* good. 

Thank god you have brought this thread back to football. The tournament really starts now. Well done to NI they never gave up despite being outclassed.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

You can’t compare mens and women’s football, it’s two totally different games in terms of strength and speed so no point doing it. But technical ability and tactical ability can be judged and they do play some nice stuff. Will be interested to see how they fare against a similar standard side.

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

You can’t compare mens and women’s football, it’s two totally different games in terms of strength and speed so no point doing it. But technical ability and tactical ability can be judged and they do play some nice stuff. Will be interested to see how they fare against a similar standard side.

I didn't compare but I don't think you were suggesting I was (sorry hard judge tone in text format)

My opinion for what is worth (little) if you're a fan of football you will enjoy watching it regardless of the standard, premier league to Sunday league.

If you only watch the best of the best play then I would suggest to posters criticising lesser standard of football, not follow Bristol City football club. 

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I didn't compare but I don't think you were suggesting I was (sorry hard judge tone in text format)

My opinion for what is worth (little) if you're a fan of football you will enjoy watching it regardless of the standard, premier league to Sunday league.

If you only watch the best of the best play then I would suggest to posters criticising lesser standard of football, not follow Bristol City football club. 

No I was talking generally about comparison of mens and women’s football that you often see. It’s not the same game so anyone who compares will only be disappointed.

Totally agree about a good game being a good game whatever the standard or whoever is playing it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No I was talking generally about comparison of mens and women’s football that you often see. It’s not the same game so anyone who compares will only be disappointed.

Totally agree about a good game being a good game whatever the standard or whoever is playing it.

Sorry mate didn't mean to be defensive, it's hard talking about women's football in a positive light as I often you get jumped on by trolls and bots. 

??

• Like 4

The result was not really in doubt, nor the performance inasmuch that the group was won before kick-off. Clearly the squad has been built to produce a standard and it was a comfortable one in the end. Give the Northern Irish girls the credit they deserve, though: their first half gameplan was a solid and gave England some problems that were proving difficult to overcome. However, these Lionesses are able to keep up a pace and inevitably the greater stamina and skill tolled eventually. The difference between a fully professional side and part-timers was marked, resulting in an ever-widening gap towards the end of the game.

I'm quite happy the score didn't exceed the Norway game. It would not have been necessary, nor would it have proved a point. A comfortable result without creating excessive expectations.

Not sure if the ball flicked Hemp's hand on the way to Kirby for the first goal. If it did, I'm puzzled that VAR did not intervene. After all, it chalked off the earlier effort. The other goals were examples of the level of talent in the squad. We're a side others don't want to come up against.

Quality shone all night from some of the England players. I thought Kirby kept popping up in little spaces behind the front line and caused all sorts of problems; she has a great touch and the vision to make the dangerous passes. If the strikers are having an off night, then there is a swathe of subs with as much talent. Given the paucity of defending needed, the midfielders had a chance to cut out attacks and push forwards in numbers.

All in all, it's been a first rate effort in the groups. Now the real tournament is about to begin. It's No Tomorrow football from now on.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I badly tried putting this to wife and kids during the game, and nearly caused a revolt. 

It’s simple in that the strength and speed in mens pro football even at the lower levels is way higher and that makes it a different type of game.

The point is you can enjoy both forms of football without needing to point out every time there’s a game “even the Gas would hammer these”………………

Interesting approach by Spain: plenty of possession and control but not that able to put away the chances. Denmark were content to start as a defensive set-up and rely on a breakaway. Sadly, the few times they got into the Spanish defence they did not have the finishing qualities. Even as time ran out, that pattern didn't really change. I wonder how Spain will approach the quarter-final against us at Brighton. Will they reverse their instinctive mindset and get the bus started?

Meanwhile Germany and Austria meet at Brentford - a probable ticket for the former?

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Tickets for Wednesday quarter final available 

Thanks for the tag @phantom but I am already going to the game! Had planned on using this sale; but found someone on Twitter who had a spare ticket going.
Will be joining Steve & Dave (as well as the Bristol City/England flag), who booked their tickets in advance as they expected England to top the group therefore play that quarter final.
We're all going to both semi-finals in Sheffield & Milton Keynes, as well as the final at Wembley!

Also, I didn't get a QF ticket originally as I had planned to go to a Haim gig in Cardiff; but have since decided to go see them in Nottingham on Tuesday (as there are no games that day; but it could get really hot!) 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

I wonder how Spain will approach the quarter-final against us at Brighton. Will they reverse their instinctive mindset and get the bus started?

Spain don't really have a defined #9 - and ever since Alexia Putellas got injured before the start of the tournament; they have somewhat struggled. I am confident England should take advantage, but Spain can get tough

Seeing as how well the photos I took at Old Trafford were well-received, I'm going to share the ones I took at St Marys (that haven't already been here) from last night. The seat I was allocated wasn't as close to the pitch; but still had a great view

DSC_9161.JPG

DSC_9162.JPG

DSC_9163.JPG

DSC_9164.JPG

DSC_9166.JPG

DSC_9168.JPG

DSC_9169.JPG

DSC_9170.JPG

DSC_9171.JPG

DSC_9172.JPG

DSC_9173.JPG

DSC_9174.JPG

DSC_9175.JPG

DSC_9176.JPG

DSC_9177.JPG

DSC_9178.JPG

DSC_9179.JPG

DSC_9180.JPG

DSC_9181.JPG

DSC_9183.JPG

DSC_9184.JPG

DSC_9185.JPG

DSC_9186.JPG

DSC_9187.JPG

DSC_9188.JPG

DSC_9189.JPG

DSC_9190.JPG

DSC_9191.JPG

DSC_9192.JPG

DSC_9193.JPG

DSC_9195.JPG

DSC_9196.JPG

DSC_9197.JPG

DSC_9198.JPG

DSC_9200.JPG

DSC_9201.JPG

DSC_9202.JPG

DSC_9203.JPG

DSC_9204.JPG

DSC_9205.JPG

DSC_9206.JPG

DSC_9207.JPG

DSC_9208.JPG

DSC_9209.JPG

DSC_9210.JPG

DSC_9211.JPG

DSC_9213.JPG

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 4

On 15/07/2022 at 21:20, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I read that since Sarina Wiegman became Manager(ess), in her first 16 games the team won 14, scored 97 and conceded just three. Now they've won all three pool games in these Euros.

Watch your back Southgate!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Same block of seats empty on the halfway line again 

It’s utterly infuriating. My son and I loved the opening game at Old Trafford. I’ve been checking constantly for tickets for this one because we would love to have been there tonight. Instead we’re watching empty seats on the telly.

Corporate/sponsor no-shows? Appalling if so.

33 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

This " commentator " is  rubbish, largely just reads stats and waffle. Hardly describes the actual play or whom is in possession or receiving a pass

Describing who is in possession and who is receiving a pass is my versión of hell. It's why in European commentaries they don't shut up for a second.

Tell me what i can't see, guide me to what i can't appreciate on TV , not what i can see and already know.

Edited by The turtle