IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

Tonight's Sweden v Belgium game will determine England's semi final opponents. Sweden are at 2 on the FIFA rankings list so are clear favourites but the Belgians have done well to make it to the knockout stages and have nothing to lose. Interesting comment that they're both big teams. Presumably excluding the Belgian left wing back who's tiny and I'd be surprised if she's 5ft tall. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sweden win 1-0 with a goal in time added on. They were the better side but Belgium probably deserved extra time for their stoic display. 

So it's Sweden for England and nothing to fear unless the Swedes improve significantly. 

Cannot see Sweden troubling England........I thought their were all bark and no bite? Fortunate to win before Extra time came along?

The Belgians clearly came into the game with a Defend First attitude. Fine, but in the few counter-attacks that happen, it really puts a premium on scoring and tonight there was a definite lack of the clinical, from both teams. All in all a game where both teams cancelled each other out and England will not see much to fear.

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

who was that male co-commentator spouting gibberish? ?

Lewes Women F.C. - the team that City did the triple over last season.

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Got to say the commentaries have been ok so far.......but i thought tonight's Sweden/Belgium commentary was awful   ........who was that male co-commentator spouting gibberish? ?

Seriously hoping that JP gets the commentary gig for France v Netherlands and that ex Dutch international Anouk Hoogendijk is on the panel again so that, assuming he doesn't suffer from Triskaidekaphobia, he can tell us how many times she played for Bristol Academy in the inaugural WSL season. 

• Like 1

Grindingly absorbing game. The French seem to have lost their mojo a tad and the Dutch are working hard to contain them. Slowly the tide is changing but it may need a bit more than extra time to sort this out.

Van Der Gragt has been indomitable and Spitze has put the steel into the midfield. Meanwhile the customary flair and swagger is not so clear from the French. If they could only put one of their many chances away this game would be over.

Will one of the coaches take the risk of abandoning the usual 4-3-3? Either way, the Germans will be enjoying this slog.

Shoot me down - but credit to the women, the technical ability from the elite teams is on a par, if not exceeding that of top men’s teams. Even some of the keepers are pretty decent…in fact that Dutch keeper save was a worldie.

Have really enjoyed this tournament. Put me down as a convert. 

So that’s Brexit and Women’s football I was wrong on. Still waiting to be convinced that CoD should have been given that contract extension mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fjmcity said:

Dutch keepers having a worldy- France so much the better team though. Hoping for pens!

When I was getting stick for pointing out that the improvement in Goalkeeping hasn’t caught up with the outfield play in the women’s game I also pointed out at the same time that the Dutch keeper was one of the exceptions and the best in the tournament I had seen (albeit only their Nr 2 before it started). I’ll pick up my prize later……….

The Dutch were taking a bit of a chance on Miedema being at full fitness after Covid and clearly she was not 100%. That took a big chunk out of their ability to spring good counter-attacks. With her in top condition this result might have gone the other way. They battled all the way but lacked a cutting edge.

The French showed a few flashes of the form of the group stages but had an off night in front of goal. Has the tournament started to seem real now?

The Germans will be sharpening up for the semi final; they will have played France enough times and will be fancying their chances, no doubt.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I'll have a virtual £5 with you that Germany win the Semi Final.  They look really German.

I’ve been very impressed with France when I’ve seen them, Germany not so much.  Germans do have that mentality that fits tournament football though, so will be interesting.  

I’ll have that virtual bet mate. 

17 hours ago, RedRock said:

Shoot me down - but credit to the women, the technical ability from the elite teams is on a par, if not exceeding that of top men’s teams. Even some of the keepers are pretty decent…in fact that Dutch keeper save was a worldie.

Have really enjoyed this tournament. Put me down as a convert. 

So that’s Brexit and Women’s football I was wrong on. Still waiting to be convinced that CoD should have been given that contract extension mind.

The technical ability is absolutely nowhere near the mens game, it’s miles off. However, it’s certainly an improvement from where it was. 

9 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

So it seems one of the photos featuring me & the City flag taken to the Euros games has made it into this artwork (at the bottom right).

From https://twitter.com/onherside1
P.S. Will be up at Bramall Lane tomorrow night for the semi-final with flag too!
FYhiksKXEAAKofk?format=jpg&name=large

Nice one?. And the Robins of Charlton in the bottom left I think.

• Like 1