IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Don’t think it’s a fluke. The skill was amazing.

As a keeper, you’d be getting ready for the next phase of the attack. Even by remote chance you were expecting a back heel, the most difficult ball to stop is between the legs. As near perfect a back- heel as I’ve ever seen. 

Don’t get me wrong, amazing skill. ‘Fluke’ as in it pretty much nut megged two players. No one moaning about the defender who was actually on her. Wonderful, but as a goalie I would still be thinking ‘Jammy sod’.

Going to the semi tomorrow, 10 min drive and £15, so why not.

Would usually go for the underdog, but difficult to call that with France and Germany. Extra time and sending offs I guess, but really just hoping for, and expecting, a good game.

• Like 2

On 25/07/2022 at 20:16, shahanshahan said:

So it seems one of the photos featuring me & the City flag taken to the Euros games has made it into this artwork (at the bottom right).

From https://twitter.com/onherside1
P.S. Will be up at Bramall Lane tomorrow night for the semi-final with flag too!
FYhiksKXEAAKofk?format=jpg&name=large

Bet you enjoyed that I know I certainly did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

You'll have to remind me how the men's team got on in their last semi final?

Yes, and having been at every major England match since 1988, I’m very grateful. And I don’t need reminding, cos I was there, always. But in 2018 and 2021 we scored early, bossed the game, then sat back, lost the initiative, failed to make the right impact subs at the right time, tried to protect a 1 goal lead , let the opposition back in before running out of steam and losing. Literally the opposite of everything that occurred in the second half tonight. 

• Like 4

First time watching the womens Euro's

Was a cracking watch.  Spotted @shahanshahan flag!

Good entertaining football

Co-commentators were excellent - enjoyed Lucy having a crack about Swedish /English fans not being able to buy the empty seats - good on her

The officials weren't noticed - which for me, is the highest praise to be given.

I suspect the game may have been different had Sweden buried those early chances.

But they didn't.

On to the final - well played Lionesses

Edited by The Constant Rabbit
  • Like 3

Outrageous! The way the Lionesses took over in the second half was quite a statement. Having taken a slight lead into the half, Bronze's header early made the game a far different prospect. Then we saw how the Swedes started to look sluggish and lost heart - not a side known for that. In the first half, we looked slower and second best to the ball; in the second it was completely the reverse. Once that shift in the balance went our way there was no other outcome.

Earp's fabulous save just after was a crucial stop. It reminded me of the one she made for City (Academy) against Barca in the Champions' League quarter-final at the Gate. That sort of natural talent is rare to find.

Russo's scandalous finish shows what she is capable of, and I suspect she'll be the most expensive player in women's football in this country before long. Not only does she have the striker's instincts, but is also a real handful when defending from the front.

I feel a little sorry for Lindahl, the keeper. She had a goal scored against her that will be replayed many, many times. Having an opponent do that from that postition will be the stuff of nightmares, and Lindahl is a top class player with lots of international caps. A keeper should be alert at all times, but when a striker does pull out something at close range then its up to them to block. As it was, the shot came in low and right between her feet - a real headache to respond to with just pure reactions.

Then Kirby flighted a ball that she got both hands to but couldn't find enough strength to stop it bouncing into the net. Sad, as it will perhaps define her tournament and possibly signal the end of a glorious career.

But there is an irresistible air about the Lionesses, an air not seen before. A 'March to the Arch', no less. Is the immense input and resources granted the women's game at the top level finally being vindicated? Could the girls go the one step further than the men, at Wembley, in a European final? Worse things happen at sea...

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

Would any keeper be expecting it? 

The keeper is in the scoop technique position, hands down. The hand position is for a low shot or cross. She cant go into whats called the K barrier efficiently because of her right foot being flat. Its not very good being polite.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I must admit I was worried about tonight’s match. Sweden are a good team and just needed to find their finishing boots from the last game. That shows how good England were. I’m sure over 10m people would have watched that as well. Amazing shot in the arm to the womens game 

Yep it was an impressive performance against the Worlds number 2 country. The swedes started off really well but thankfully didn’t manage to go ahead.

After England’s first goal you could see the Swedes struggling to cope with Englands attacking play and imo 4-0 didn’t flatter our ladies at all.

It was a well deserved win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Going to the semi tomorrow, 10 min drive and £15, so why not.

Would usually go for the underdog, but difficult to call that with France and Germany. Extra time and sending offs I guess, but really just hoping for, and expecting, a good game.

See you there, hopefully! We're on our way back to Bristol & heading up to MK tomorrow 

• Like 3