IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

A closely-fought game, with both sides showing just what they are about. The French were looking for the flair and style, but tended to underuse their speed down the flanks. The Germans were, well, German: solid, organised, disciplined and with a gritty determination. A 'Result Machine', with a whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Oberdorf was a real battler and perhaps was lucky to remain on the pitch with a number of calculated fouls. Around her were some like-minded friends and almost every time a French player made a move forwards, there were at least two white shirts in close company. That was how the French were shut down for long periods.

But overall, this was a really close game and both sides can look to moments where they enjoyed a slight edge. In these sorts of games it eventually boils down to fine margins (to coin a phrase). Tonight, the French slowly wilted and Popp proved the decisive player with two goals that highlighted just how hungry and determined she is. We'll look forward to the Sunday final.

Just home. Enjoyed that. Others analyse games much better than me, but thought Germany squeezed the life out of France and deserved it overall. Think England v France would have been a much more open game, but it is what it is. Decent crowd, although predominately neutral crowds always are slightly subdued...Germans well outnumbered France fans which was a bit of a surprise.

Destined to be Germany I guess. Same for penalties?

• Admin

Having watched that game tonight, we have no fear going into Sunday, wasn't impressed with either side 

The German side will push up on us but with our pace down the wings will have plenty of space to exploit 

Can't see anything other than an English victory as long as we don't freeze on the big occasion, but something tells me that won't happen. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Representing...

You travel some miles

Are you a journo? If not, you have bloody tolerant employers for all your time off!

Fair play for your constant positive promotion of the Womens Game and City's Womens side.

The club should be approaching you for a reporting role.

Or a national newspaper / TV channel - you seem incredibly well informed on this part of English football.

Keep it up - love your reports.

@JerrySLO Give this guy a contact at the club to talk about a job!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Germany will be a massive step up from Sweden and they probably have the best striker in the competition. They will be favourites but we certainly have a chance.

It’ll probably be a draw after extra time and our ladies lose on penalties………………..:facepalm:

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Having watched that game tonight, we have no fear going into Sunday, wasn't impressed with either side 

The German side will push up on us but with our pace down the wings will have plenty of space to exploit 

Can't see anything other than an English victory as long as we don't freeze on the big occasion, but something tells me that won't happen. 

The manager Sabrina Wiegman really impresses me. She’s adept in dealing with the press, tactically very astute and likes to play front foot football with consistent selection.

I’d love to see her take over from Gareth Southgate and mange the mens team but the FA wouldn’t dream of being the first to appoint a women to manage the mens team…..…………:cool2:

Edited by Robbored

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The manager Sabrina Wiegman really impresses me. She’s adept in dealing with the press, tactically very astute and likes to play front foot football with consistent selection.

I’d love to see her take over from Gareth Southgate and mange the mens team but the FA wouldn’t dream of being the first to appoint a women to manage the mens team…..…………:cool2:

0% chance that will happen, although an interesting aside is she seems to be getting more of a tune out of them than the previous manager, Phil Neville, who only got them to a World Cup semi…

24 minutes ago, cityexile said:

0% chance that will happen, although an interesting aside is she seems to be getting more of a tune out of them than the previous manager, Phil Neville, who only got them to a World Cup semi…

Absolutely right……..

As I posted earlier she really impresses me. She’s has an impressive CV in the woman's game, knows how to get the best out of players as her record shows.

Maybe having a women managing female players works more effectively as the players  relate to her more comfortably than having a man managing them.

Lets face it - how many of a us blokes understand women?……………:dunno:

4 hours ago, Super said:

Germany will be a massive step up from Sweden and they probably have the best striker in the competition. They will be favourites but we certainly have a chance.

Do you think Germany are favourites? Not sure about that. Bookies slightly favour England.

I quite fancy us, but I am worried because it’s Germany and they’re just so German. I can see them shutting us down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Do you think Germany are favourites? Not sure about that. Bookies slightly favour England.

I quite fancy us, but I am worried because it’s Germany and they’re just so German. I can see them shutting us down.

I forgot about the home advantage i guess that's why we maybe favourites.

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Their pressing from the front is ferocious so we're going to have to find a way of bypassing that.

In that respect Keira Walsh and Leah Williamson, both good passers, could be key.

• Like 3

On 28/07/2022 at 03:33, The Constant Rabbit said:

You travel some miles

Are you a journo? If not, you have bloody tolerant employers for all your time off!

Fair play for your constant positive promotion of the Womens Game and City's Womens side.

The club should be approaching you for a reporting role.

Or a national newspaper / TV channel - you seem incredibly well informed on this part of English football.

Keep it up - love your reports.

@JerrySLO Give this guy a contact at the club to talk about a job!

Thank you! Nope, am just a supporter. I'm also a board member of the Supporters Club & Trust (so speak with Jerry quite a bit at meetings) & co-host of Bristol City Vixencast, a podcast about City Women.

And yes, me & my friends were lucky to book time off work & get tickets when we did.

I did see that the club are looking for a Media Executive, but for now I'm happy being a supporter as opposed to an employee - and also earning what I do at my day job which pays more!

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

• The title was changed to Thanks USA for supporting the Lionesses!
1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Great to see yet another Re- creation of what is now regarded as the greatest goal ever scored in the History of the sport of Association Football?

I agree, its always good to see a recreation of the greatest goal ever scored in the History of the sport of Association Football.

• Haha 1

Morning, all. Am currently in London, and can see Wembley Stadium from my hotel room window.
Didn't get round to posting these on Thursday, but can say that Germany v France was indeed a much-closer (and somewhat less exciting) game.
German support definitely outnumbered the French

DSC_9591.JPG

DSC_9592.JPG

DSC_9593.JPG

DSC_9594.JPG

DSC_9595.JPG

DSC_9596.JPG

DSC_9597.JPG

DSC_9598.JPG

DSC_9599.JPG

DSC_9600.JPG

DSC_9601.JPG