IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Is there a Jill Scott meme yet I swear she said cheating ***** lip, reading. 

It looked like "**** off you ****ing p****" to me. One of the highlights of the game!

Edit: I now see above that I was right. **** me, I can lip read!?

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1

Very happy today with the result but the one thing that irked me today was that both teams were more than happy going in for tackles and not shirking  the physical approach, yet it felt like every tackle that was made,every 50/50 ball that was contested,any kind of contact between player's and the ref immediately stopped play to award a free kick.In fairness she did it for both teams but I found it pretty frustrating.

30 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Loved it when the goal scorer ran off to sing “Sweet Caroline” with the team and took the mic with her ?

Yep, that was brilliant! I hate those pitch-side interviews straight after games. Just let players celebrate with their team mates. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Antman said:

When kelly poked the winner in, and the TV replayed her running in slow mo waving her shirt with everything moving in every direction

My wife just said..."that'll go viral'

Kelly recreated the moment in World Cup 1999 when USA's Brandi Chastain took her shirt off after scoring in the final. I'll leave it to more informed minds as to what that means in today's football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is exactly what I meant by my last post. Why? Just why? They’ve just reached the pinnacle of the sport they play in and the first reaction is to post how many of them are gay, and compare it to a team they don’t compete with.

It’s odd, belittling, and a bit shit

I get what you mean, but you can always find people with odd opinions. It's not necessarily a reflection on anything.

Secondly, on him in particular, he's pretty well known for writing about a lot of gay / bi issues including having published books on the matter and making a pride documentary for the BBC so that makes it less surprising that it's something he's acutely aware of in my opinion.

Edited by IAmNick

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I get what you mean, but you can always find people with odd opinions. It's not necessarily a reflection on anything.

Secondly, on him in particular, he's pretty well known for writing about a lot of gay / bi issues including having published books on the matter so that makes it less surprising that it's something he's acutely aware of in my opinion.

He’s Scottish.  Enough said.

2 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Disrespectful comment. They've just done something no men's team could do since 66 and that's the best you can come out with. Seriously 

To be fair well done, bravo and all that but they haven't 'done something no men's team could do since 66', for men aren't permitted to play in woman's tournaments (at least not yet.)

Admittedly I only watched about 30 mins of the whole tournament, but that was sufficient. By all means celebrate a great achievement for woman's football but in all seriousness answer this: Against which City representative side do you think the Lionesses would remain competitive? I reckon they might give the boys U16s a game but by U19s they'd struggle. U23s they'd be played off the park. And that's City.

From the few bits I did see the Spaniards were technically light years superior to anybody else and attempted to play something resembling adult men's football. England may well be champions of Europe and good on them. But if comparing to men's football, lack of ball control, ball retention and kick and rush, there is no comparison. I trust their success has women and girls rushing to pull on their boots to get involved, for that can only be a good thing  Just spare any conflation with the men's game as the two have little in common. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

It looked like "**** off you ****ing p****" to me. One of the highlights of the game!

Edit: I now see above that I was right. **** me, I can lip read!?

A handy skill in womens football…?

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is exactly what I meant by my last post. Why? Just why? They’ve just reached the pinnacle of the sport they play in and the first reaction is to post how many of them are gay, and compare it to a team they don’t compete with.

It’s odd, belittling, and a bit shit

He’s Scottish.  It’s in their nature to try and distract from, and belittle the achievements of English Football.  This being Women’s Football the distraction is a little more subtle than the usual bile they come out with.

Edited by Malago

41 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

To be fair well done, bravo and all that but they haven't 'done something no men's team could do since 66', for men aren't permitted to play in woman's tournaments (at least not yet.)

Admittedly I only watched about 30 mins of the whole tournament, but that was sufficient. By all means celebrate a great achievement for woman's football but in all seriousness answer this: Against which City representative side do you think the Lionesses would remain competitive? I reckon they might give the boys U16s a game but by U19s they'd struggle. U23s they'd be played off the park. And that's City.

From the few bits I did see the Spaniards were technically light years superior to anybody else and attempted to play something resembling adult men's football. England may well be champions of Europe and good on them. But if comparing to men's football, lack of ball control, ball retention and kick and rush, there is no comparison. I trust their success has women and girls rushing to pull on their boots to get involved, for that can only be a good thing  Just spare any conflation with the men's game as the two have little in common. 

There isnt any. The game is divided by sex. 

You in your second paragraph are attempting to conflate the two., 

• Admin

Why the need for comparisons? A senior English team has just been crowned champions of Europe for the first time in my lifetime, I'll celebrate that.

When a woman wins gold in the 100m Olympic Sprint final, you don't hear people say "but she isn't as quick as the men". I celebrate all sporting success this nation achieves, it's far too often fleeting!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Is that relevant?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Why the need for comparisons? A senior English team has just been crowned champions of Europe for the first time in my lifetime, I'll celebrate that.

When a woman wins gold in the 100m Olympic Sprint final, you don't hear people say "but she isn't as quick as the men". I celebrate all sporting success this nation achieves, it's far too often fleeting!

I wonder if these people obsessed with comparisons would be here on the day we won the play off final pointing out that the standard is nowhere near as good as the Champions League?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Sounds like a direct comparison with City teams over the last few seasons. :whistle:

I think one of the problems the womens game has had until the fairly recent past, is that it has been all to easy to compare it with the mens game and then, using this comparison, pick out and criticise all the areas in which it falls short - physicality, pace, power etc.

Now the womens game at this level is  professional and, certainly at the level we've seen during the Euros,  capable of producing exciting and entertaining matches, perhaps it will be judged on it's own merits, rather than by comparison with the mens game. The Sweden semi final was enthralling ( obviously helped by England winning, and winning well) and certainly as/more entertaining than many an England men's team performance over recent years.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I wonder if these people obsessed with comparisons would be here on the day we won the play off final pointing out that the standard is nowhere near as good as the Champions League?!

Can't imagine many being on here the day we win a play off final - they'd all be suffering from shock!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, phantom said:

What an amazing day, one of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced at Wembley. 

Met plenty of German supporters but hey we're the champions of Europe, ignoring the usual uneducated bullshit posted above 

Was also nice to bump into @shahanshahanon empire way

20220731_183428.jpg

20220731_183058.jpg

20220731_170616.jpg

20220731_165311.jpg

20220731_165305.jpg

No photos of Wembley's rubbish bins to add to NTTDS's collection?

4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

You watched 30 minutes of the whole tournament, deduced Spain were the only team close to the mens game, and then posted on here to tell us about it like some kind of footballing oracle.  Embarrassing.

It doesn’t matter whether they are better or worse than any standard of the mens game because it’s not the mens game, not that you would know as by your own admission you only watched 30 minutes of it.  Very poor post.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

It's strange isn't it, I watch women runners, jumpers, throwers etc in Athletics and marvel at their ability. Laura Kenny on a bike or Rebecca Addligton in the pool, amazing. Not once have I thought "yeah, but they would be light years behind Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Greg Rutherford, Duplantis etc. Probably because it's ******* weird.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 13

8 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

What a dumb post. Try watching more than 30 mins next time.

Edited by Super
  • Like 1