IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

All the Lionesses games have been sold out for months. Clearly plenty of demand and lots of people who will have missed out. So why so many empty seats? FA really need to explain and sort it out. It’s a terrible look in every sense.

my guess is loads of freebies not being taken up....

• Like 3

Ellen White’s play reminds me so much of Gary Lineker. Movement, burst of pace and finishing.

Just as I type that she lets herself down a bit!

For once, Lucy Bronze is not obviously the best player on the pitch either, which is a rarity.

• Like 1

What a half. Hemp, White and especially Mead will get most of the plaudits but the England midfield is superb. Georgia Stanway (who scored from the spot) and Fran Kirby (back to her best) are finding space between the lines but Keira Walsh has to be as good a midfielder as there is in the game (male or female). She is so in control and her range of passing is phenomenal. But this tournament is getting better everyday. Last night France created a new Euros record by scoring 5 in the 1st half, and now England have scored 6. Bring it on! 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What a half. Hemp, White and especially Mead will get most of the plaudits but the England midfield is superb. Georgia Stanway (who scored from the spot) and Fran Kirby (back to her best) are finding space between the lines but Keira Walsh has to be as good a midfielder as there is in the game (male or female). She is so in control and her range of passing is phenomenal. But this tournament is getting better everyday. Last night France created a new Euros record by scoring 5 in the 1st half, and now England have scored 6. Bring it on! 

Agreed. There have also been some really incisive passes from Bronze who has been key the the build up for at least 2....Great team performance. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

my guess is loads of freebies not being taken up....

You guess wrong. This is a myth. Tickets haven’t been given away for free. Schools were given an opportunity to buy them but had to pay for them.

England sold out Old Trafford for the first match, so they certainly don’t need to give away tickets in a stadium half the size.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Can England men have this manager. These women actually look like they want to attack and beat their opposition with no fear.

Gareth essentially said after our last match “that’s what happens when we throw too many forward” in a match in which we hardly if ever threw any one forward.

57 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Walsh was exceptional.  I don't think I saw a pass that was even a little bit sloppy, let alone didn't get to its intended destination...

That's more like it.

After the rather tense and tentative opening match, the Lionesses bared their teeth - and what a sharp set they are too. We were clearly the better team in so many departments and the performance has justified some early claims. What struck me was that whenever a player had the ball there was at least one teammate who was close by and demanding the ball. It did look like we had an extra player. The visitors were suffocated from the first whistle and didn't have a response.

Norway's side are arguably not their best generation this tournament, but are no mugs. They have plenty of top WSL and European league players in the ranks but they were given a real education tonight. We can argue about the coach sitting on his hands and not having a Plan B, but I don't think there were many alternatives. We were simply too good.

I like the way England can sweep forwards with accuracy, pace and menace. Ellen White is showing the sort of talent she is capable of and Lauren Hemp can terrify opponents. Backing up from midfield we have a number of players who have a genuine connection and vision to pick out the open player. It's an attacking side with lots of options, and we have made a statement. When Alessio Russo came on in the second half she looked a handful and was putting herself about nicely. First tournament goal too.

Defensively we are yet to be really tested and I am curious as to how England will cope with better opponents, as they will surely come up.

With qualification now in the bag, what will Weigman decide to do against Northern Ireland? Take it easy and save the starters for the next round, or keep a winning side and build more momentum?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What a player Lauren Hemp looks

54 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was going to say 'women's football is boring' earlier, that's me shut up then.

Well played ladies. ??

I see Hemp used to play for us!

Who do you think Man City signed her from!?

JMP_Bristol_City_Women_v_Man_City_RT0213.jpg

• Like 2

Heading back home from watching the game at the Sports Bar at Ashton Gate. Was totally not expecting that result against a team like Norway. Am intrigued to see if England can score 8 against Norway without response, what the score will be against Northern Ireland ok Friday (who are now out after losing 2-0 to Austria earlier today)

DSC_9146.JPG

29 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

That's more like it.

After the rather tense and tentative opening match, the Lionesses bared their teeth - and what a sharp set they are too. We were clearly the better team in so many departments and the performance has justified some early claims. What struck me was that whenever a player had the ball there was at least one teammate who was close by and demanding the ball. It did look like we had an extra player. The visitors were suffocated from the first whistle and didn't have a response.

Norway's side are arguably not their best generation this tournament, but are no mugs. They have plenty of top WSL and European league players in the ranks but they were given a real education tonight. We can argue about the coach sitting on his hands and not having a Plan B, but I don't think there were many alternatives. We were simply too good.

Plan A appeared to be "Keep Lucy Bronze back". That left their left back totally exposed and the other 10 England players took full advantage.

One thing though; they kept saying we were "ruthless" I checked and they are right, not 1 Ruth in the squad! :) It used to be such a popular name when I was at school, what has happened to all the Ruth's? :)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

Gareth essentially said after our last match “that’s what happens when we throw too many forward” in a match in which we hardly if ever threw any one forward.

It's pathetic he is still in charge and all the media still protect him. We're lucky that a lot of the other top Nations are also currently struggling at present.

• Haha 1

It was a very surprising result with the press bigging up  Norway as something special.with a very dangerous strike force but they barely managed a shot on goal and defensively they were truly shocking - which is exactly what the Swedish pundit said.

A big win like that will send a shock wave thru the entire tournament.

A dead rubber on Friday against NI next.

One minor whinge from me tho - the crowd sound - a really high pitched noise! 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was a very surprising result with the press bigging up  Norway as something special.with a very dangerous strike force but they barely managed a shot on goal and defensively they were truly shocking - which is exactly what the Swedish pundit said.

A big win like that will send a shock wave thru the entire tournament.

A dead rubber on Friday against NI next.

One minor whinge from me tho - the crowd sound - a really high pitched noise! 

Well most were young girls and Women.

• Thanks 1