IGNORED

Billy Sharp Assaulted

Billy Sharpe was head butted on the pitch/playing area after a pitch invasion by celebrating home fans. These are the bare facts as I know them. 

So does any one know if the guy was boozed or coked up? In my experience after 120 minutes of football and penalty’s booze and drugs are not really much of a factor unless you managed to neck five at half time or find a bog to snort a couple of lines while the players were being picked for the penos. 

Several things here. It is my understanding it is a criminal offense to go onto the playing surface. So NF will definitely be charged with failing to control their supporters and more than one person (the assailant) needs to be charged with entering the field of play. 

The EFL have not come down hard on clubs in the respect of supporters coming on to the field and YES Bristol City is one of the clubs where bottle throwing and entering the field of play has been largely overlooked by authorities. The debacle at the memorial gates stadium was deliberately overlooked by as many as possible, but that yesterday was a throw back to thirty years ago and more. 

Societal issue definitely! The rules don’t apply to me is obviously becoming as prevalent in the UK as it is in the USA and that is the issue, coke n booze being taken in large quantities is just a symptom, for those of you that might be doing PhD’s  

Attitudes in society take a lot of changing, but managing them at football is easy. You punish the clubs to a huge extent  and that pressure will  permeate through the club and most sane supporters  

I’m for making a huge example of Nottingham Forest as this was so egregious  and if that means giving the game to Sheff utd or at the very least give them a heavily reduced allocation for the play off final and advise the club that if supporters attend without being in the clubs group they will forfeit the match  

Kids running on the pitch has been a problem at AG ably assisted in some cases  by parents this season  I’m not sure booze and drugs are to blame there either  

Edited by REDOXO

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Kids running on the pitch has been a problem at AG ably assisted in some cases  by parents this season  I’m not sure booze and drugs are to blame there either  

They tested positive for traces of Smarties and Sunny D.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

This,totally unexpected attack,no time to react.What an absolute w*****.

I’ve not always liked Billy Sharp, but he’s a player I’m sure if he played for us I’d of loved him, he’s been through a lot, including that time he lost a baby then banged in a couple against us that very week I think, but this cowardly attack against him just no need and now that fan will prob miss out on his exciting team reach the premiership and prob get prison time, for being an absolute knob, yet Billy, he’ll get over it but wtf no need

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

I’ve not always liked Billy Sharp, but he’s a player I’m sure if he played for us I’d of loved him, he’s been through a lot, including that time he lost a baby then banged in a couple against us that very week I think, but this cowardly attack against him just no need and now that fan will prob miss out on his exciting team reach the premiership and prob get prison time, for being an absolute knob, yet Billy, he’ll get over it but wtf no need

Simon Jordan said on talksport earlier about Billy sharp and Ollie mcburnie goading forest fans .

Not condoning a 30 yard headbutt though.

3 hours ago, Super said:

From the EFL

Unfortunately, at recent end-of season and Play-Off Semi-Final fixtures we have witnessed a number of unsavoury and unacceptable incidents take place with supporters entering the field of play.

These are currently under investigation by the relevant authorities and the EFL condemns in the strongest possible terms the reckless actions of individuals who have brought the game into disrepute with this unacceptable behaviour. The League is working closely with the Police and Clubs, offering its full support to the ongoing investigations. 

Supporters are reminded that it is against the law to enter the pitch at any time and could result in a Club ban and criminal record. More importantly it puts the safety of players, coaches, managers and match officials at risk. It is vital that those playing the game can do so safe in the knowledge that they will not be subjected to violent, threatening or anti-social behaviour going forward.

Many people have already lost the privilege of watching their team via club bans this season and further punitive action will follow for those who continue to disregard ground regulations and break the law at football matches.  

We recognise that this lawlessness is being conducted by a small minority of individuals and that the majority of people attending matches are a credit to their club.  However, it is not acceptable for supporters to enter the field of play at any time given the EFL’s objective is to ensure our matches remain a safe and welcoming one for all. Therefore, over the summer we will consider what further measures are now at our disposal, including the potential use of capacity reductions or other similar mitigations. 

Fans are also advised that the use of pyrotechnic devices inside a football stadium is a criminal offence that will potentially lead to police action, prosecution, and a ban from football. 

Pyrotechnics and flares can burn at up to 2,500°C and can cause significant injuries to carriers and fellow spectators. We have also seen many incidents that have resulted in people experiencing burns, breathing difficulties, distress, and discomfort.

Whilst the issue of pitch incursions and the use of pyrotechnic devices are primarily matters that fall within the remit of the Police and Football Association, the EFL continues to work closely and collaboratively with all the relevant parties to address the broader issue of anti-social behaviour. 

There you go...more restrictions being thought of to be put in place...because of a mindless minority.

You can bet they'll moan the loudest when it happens. *********

3 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Really?!

Well how come they've never caught me for my one man crimewave of knock-knock-ginger throughout backwell and the surrounding areas in the mid 90s? Obviously can't be that good ?

Knock out ginger ?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, IAmNick said:

It's such a shame as seeing all the fans surrounding the pitch, then run on after a huge win is such a great feeling / spectacle. Really disappointing that some idiots continue to ruin things for everyone else.

Personally I'd be disappointed if it was just cut out completely - I think the club even use a vid of everyone on the pitch after our last promotion in the pre match reel.

If it can't be done sensibly and safely though I don't know what the answer is. It's not acceptable for anyone to get attacked or assaulted whoever they are.

Pitch invasions should be for small boys - children, U12s - like when they started in the late 60s/early 70s. We can all watch from the sidelines and marvel at their boyish enthusiasm. 

31 year old children running on to the pitch is always going to be a different thing altogether. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheReds said:

Who and when was this?

If true, then what difference does it make anyway? ANY fan from ANY club hitting ANY player after running on the pitch (regardless of the situation), should get the full force of the law.

Warnock? Simon Jordan? Wasn’t there an incident in a Rovers game too?

Agree it doesn’t make any difference most of us would condemn a city fan doing it too

9 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I read an article, can't remember where from, that it's coke usage fuelling fans now rather than booze. When i was young, coke use was no way prevalent - it seems it is now. Is that right?

Definitely. I’m sure drug use has always been fairly high but it’s so much more brazen now. When I was younger none of my friends touched it, and it was very hush hush amongst the people who did - now it’s a brag.

The lads at football go out every Saturday, just to the pub or into town. Large majority of them coked up every Saturday and that’s mostly young lads, 20-24. Can’t do a night out without it. Worst thing is they all become much worse people after taking it, either act like *********, get violent or just chewing their face off unable to talk.

Im not particularly anti-drug, I’ve done a bit now and again but there’s definitely a shift in society - people rely on it for a night out, even if it’s just in the local pub.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think there's something in this. It is, a, societal problem, not just a football one, although sadly it manifests itself in our beloved sport (not in rugby it seems) and clubs must take some responsibility for what takes place in the confines of their ground. I know there are initiatives in place to tackle the rise in cocaine use at football grounds, but it remains to be seen how effective this will be. I don't know if it pent up frustrations but in football and in society as a whole there appears to have been a rise in violent disorder since we came out of the pandemic lockdown. 

Yup - even here in Melbourne, which is 99.9% safe to walk around in the CBD at all hours, as there are so many Police around, and people are usually chilled - the change has been noticeable.

I think being effectively 'locked-up' for nearly 2 years during COVID (see Melbournes lockdown history) has made people forget the 'social rules' and they are having to have them re-inforced.

AFL games are getting full of crowd punch-ons, and there seem to be more people 'looking for it' on the streets of Melbourne currently.

It is slowly easing down, but it's still very noticeable how much more rowdy the city currently is at times.

Hopefully it will get back to pre-covid norms, as Melbourne used to be one of the safest cities on earth (still is tbh)

On 18/05/2022 at 08:09, Gazred said:

Hope the bloke gets everything coming to him, utter coward.

Late to the thread, and that's the first time I've seen the incident. 

Wow is the first thing that comes to mind. Sharpe is a bit of a tool, but nobody deserves that, and completely unprovoked as well. It's out right assault, and he should be thrown inside for a time.