IGNORED

Billy Sharp Assaulted

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Seems incredibly lenient to me, though I’m no expert on what was the maximum sentence available for this.

Maximum sentence at magistrates Court Graham  , although the district Judge could have sent it to Crown Court for sentencing if he believed he had insufficient sentencing power.

Assuming he has no or little previous , Its probably quite a stiff sentence compared to a similar occurrence on Park Street or similar on a Friday night

He will only serve half as well if he behaves

For me sentencing is insufficient across the board and 2 years and 10 year ban would be more appropriate IMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Maximum sentence at magistrates Court Graham  , although the district Judge could have sent it to Crown Court for sentencing if he believed he had insufficient sentencing power.

Assuming he has no or little previous , Its probably quite a stiff sentence compared to a similar occurrence on Park Street or similar on a Friday night

For me sentencing is insufficient across the board and 2 years and 10 year ban would be more appropriate IMO

Just one correction here. He doesn’t have to behave to serve half. You automatically only serve half. The only way you can serve more is if you commit further criminal offences or if you’re naughty the prison can add a maximum of 28 days. 

18 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

As someone else said on here, the consequences will go further for this guy, e.g. job, income etc.

Be interesting to see how McBurnie is dealt with now by comparison.

That footage is far from clear cut though. It’s much more difficult to see for definite what the bigger picture is. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Two years for a low level offence like this?!  How long would you have given Bradley Orr and Steve Brooker when they were convicted of affray?

The sentence sounds about right to me, even if he only serves half of it inside.  Three months inside for one moment of madness on a football pitch with no one badly injured feels about right.  

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Two years for a low level offence like this?!  How long would you have given Bradley Orr and Steve Brooker when they were convicted of affray?

The sentence sounds about right to me, even if he only serves half of it inside.  Three months inside for one moment of madness on a football pitch with no one badly injured feels about right.  

Yes , I would, absolutely 

No provocation, pre meditated , cowardly , and very high profile

( As for ‘low level offence’ , I’d be interested in your view if you were the victim - Sharps lucky he didn’t receive serious injury )

As for Orr & Brooker - An incident that very much had two sides , spontaneous , involved throwing of objects and disorderly conduct , with IIRC no significant injuries if any 

For me personally , The Forest fans offence far more serious 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Wasn’t that above the max allowed ?

You can get 5 years for ABH, but as has been pointed out, the case would have to be sent up to a Crown Court for sentencing.  You can only get a maximum of 6 months in a Magistrates Court. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

That footage is far from clear cut though. It’s much more difficult to see for definite what the bigger picture is. 

Agreed, but from what you do see, it looks like either a stamp or a kick and if he was doing that in self defense (which he may have been, as we dont see what happened that led to that), once the person was on the floor, then it could be argued that the stamp/kick was going beyond self defence.

Like I said, will be interesting to see how this one pans out in comparison. 

Edited by Loco Rojo

• Admin
1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

As for ‘low level offence’ , I’d be interested in your view if you were the victim - Sharps lucky he didn’t receive serious injury 

Surely that reflects the punishment then?

Sharp wasn't badly injured - IF he had have been the charge would have been different

Essentially the fan appeared to run at Sharp head first? 

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

Surely that reflects the punishment then?

Sharp wasn't badly injured - IF he had have been the charge would have been different

Essentially the fan appeared to run at Sharp head first? 

I’d say the injury / outcome is of course a factor Phants , but so are the other things I’ve highlighted

Many people, understandably  get hung up on which assault offence is charged but there are and will be convictions for GBH that due to the overall circumstances that don’t attract a prison sentence and there is plenty of sentencing power for ABH in this case (As RR stated 5 years)

In years gone past he may well have been charged with a more serious offence (Due to the laceration / stitches) and the CPS changed charging guidelines some years back as , as , I said there is plenty of sentencing power in an ABH charge which is easier to prove and can be dealt with by Mag Court ,

What will have gone in his credit tbf will be that he surrendered himself and pleaded guilty at earliest opportunity (Possibly saved himself being pushed to Crown Court and a longer custodial)

Out of all the parts of what he did , my biggest disgust is the cowardly way in which it was done 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Do these banning orders work in practice? Realistically if he shows up at a game with absolutely nothing connecting his ticket to him, how likely is he to be identified? Seems unlikely to me.

Mate of mine was on a banning order when we played Stoke at Wembley, Bristol copper said "hello ****** what you doing here ?" and just let him go in the ground !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weepywall said:

£55k a year salary as an electrical engineer, that's over £24k in loss of earnings if he did the 24 weeks, silly boy, expensive head butt that is. 

Looking at the Blades forum (who were all over his identity not long after his name was released ) I’d say that’s the least of his worries bud

Easy and public way to instantly make a lot of enemies !

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Looking at the Blades forum (who were all over his identity not long after his name was released ) I’d say that’s the least of his worries bud

Easy and public way to instantly make a lot of enemies !

Very true, he will be looking over his shoulder that's for sure.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This would have been the perfect time to send out a very strong message at a time when incidents of bottle throwing, pitch invasions etc are on the rise.Admittedly his punishment will be more than just time served.

5 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

With good behaviour yes , if he starts headbutting the screws he’ll be there for the duration! ….:laughcont:

Have always thought if you get 24 weeks that's what you should serve, and extra if you don't behave. 

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Do these banning orders work in practice? Realistically if he shows up at a game with absolutely nothing connecting his ticket to him, how likely is he to be identified? Seems unlikely to me.

I guess if you go wearing a cap / sunglasses etc and don't sit with usual people you could get away with it 

But CCTV at Ashton Gate can zoom into someone's watch, I'd say someone would be fortunate to not be caught