IGNORED

SIMPLY THE BEST Another old picture

sticks 1969

My Dad wrote to Bristol City to see if they would send a player (e.g. a youth team or someone of that ilk) to help present the awards for the Yatton Junior FC presentations award in 1989 at Cadbury Country Club (now Cadbury House).

Bob Taylor said he would do it, and he travelled down and presented every award to about 100 kids from U9 right through to U15s  -and these presentation events went on for hours!  

What a legend on and off the pitch :) 

• Like 9
  • Robin 4

Sadly, in Jimmy Lumsden we had a manager who didn't know how to get the best out of Bob Taylor. He was sold to WBA and promptly scored 37 goals for them. I can't help thinking that at £ 250k I think, it was way to little and perhaps it was planned, by way of reducing his effectiveness, then value. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AG City said:

My Dad wrote to Bristol City to see if they would send a player (e.g. a youth team or someone of that ilk) to help present the awards for the Yatton Junior FC presentations award in 1989 at Cadbury Country Club (now Cadbury House).

Bob Taylor said he would do it, and he travelled down and presented every award to about 100 kids from U9 right through to U15s  -and these presentation events went on for hours!  

What a legend on and off the pitch :) 

Nice thing to do but he didn’t have to travel far - he lived in Worle……..just a short drive along  the A370. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nice thing to do but he didn’t have to travel far - he lived in Worle……..just a short drive along  the A370. 

So, if I understand this correctly.

Star player makes magnanimous gesture and devotes hours of his private time to bring pleasure to a number of young fans.

Star fan says it was no big deal really, as he only lives down the road anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Star player makes magnanimous gesture and devotes hours of his private time to bring pleasure to a number of young fans.

Spot on. 

Lots of players over many many years have carried out  magnanimous  acts to local hospitals, youth club, junior football teams awards etc etc…….

Bob Taylor was one of many and really handy for him as lived close by. He was probably the nearest City player to Yatton at the time.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

"Star" fan not fit to wipe the tagnuts from star player's ringpiece.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Sadly, in Jimmy Lumsden we had a manager who didn't know how to get the best out of Bob Taylor. He was sold to WBA and promptly scored 37 goals for them. I can't help thinking that at £ 250k I think, it was way to little and perhaps it was planned, by way of reducing his effectiveness, then value. 

there was some very "dodgy" deals in those days, i suspect this one could have been one of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Bob Bob super Bob!  How many did he score in the promotion season 35?  That was my first season as a fan, went to most games, I was gutted when he left!

Pretty sure it was 34 - would've been more had it not been for that injury v. Crewe (h) 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Pretty sure it was 34 - would've been more had it not been for that injury v. Crewe (h) 

Yep, I remember it being 34 too. He got a hat-trick in that Crewe game from what I recall, including a long distance volley. He scored some amazing goals. I was gutted when he was sold. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I mean that really is the important part of that memory that AG City shared with us.

I’m not deriding Taylor at all - just pointing out that many footballers do magnanimous things for the benefit of the local community. I imagine is common practice in every professional football club.

Personaly I don’t see it as a big deal. 

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not deriding Taylor at all - just pointing out that many footballers do magnanimous things for the benefit of the local community. I imagine is common practice in every professional football club.

Would you see it as magnanimous to provide things for the local community, or even the local football club and it's supporters? Oh! wait a minute.?:me?:

Sorry RR.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yeah when I got to meet him as a 9 year old to collect my award at Cadbury house obviously my immediate thought was it was no big deal for me because he’s only driven from Worle! 

Pathetic 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Would you see it as magnanimous to provide things for the local community, or even the local football club and it's supporters? 

Joe Bryan when at City helped out a local football club particularly when one of their player’s suffered a broken leg.. JB visited him in hospital and the actual club  - many footballers do magnanimous acts for the local community that often goes unnoticed.

• Robin 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Credit where it’s due. You didn’t have to drive a minibus full of gas heads to Wembley but you did. Bet you’re glad they went up automatically this season 

10 hours ago, Rich said:

If I remember correctly, Bobby Gould used to be one of the guests on the HTV sports round up. He commented that Bob Taylor was surely worth a million pounds. 
Gould then managed to get the West Brom job the next week and signed Taylor for £250k!!! 
“But you said he was worth a million last week!!” I’ve never forgiven him!