IGNORED

SIMPLY THE BEST Another old picture

sticks 1969

21 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Credit where it’s due. You didn’t have to drive a minibus full of gas heads to Wembley but you did. Bet you’re glad they went up automatically this season 

Yep I am delighted that they went up automatically. They’ve been in L2 long enough and there’s nothing quite like a Bristol derby  at AG or the Tented village - better that Cardiff, Swansea or Swindon for atmosphere.

I exchanged messages with some gashead buddies after their spectacular 7 goal win against Scunny and reminisced about the craic we had back in the Sawyers Arms days - they were good times with the friendly and amusing  banter between us all.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

If I remember correctly, Bobby Gould used to be one of the guests on the HTV sports round up. He commented that Bob Taylor was surely worth a million pounds. 
Gould then managed to get the West Brom job the next week and signed Taylor for £250k!!! 
“But you said he was worth a million last week!!” I’ve never forgiven him! 

And it's his son now running that side of things??

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep I am delighted that they went up automatically. They’ve been in L2 long enough and there’s nothing quite like a Bristol derby  at AG or the Tented village - better that Cardiff, Swansea or Swindon for atmosphere.

I exchanged messages with some gashead buddies after their spectacular 7 goal win against Scunny and reminisced about the craic we had back in the Sawyers Arms days - they were good times with the friendly and amusing  banter between us all.

?

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Harry said:

If I remember correctly, Bobby Gould used to be one of the guests on the HTV sports round up. He commented that Bob Taylor was surely worth a million pounds. 
Gould then managed to get the West Brom job the next week and signed Taylor for £250k!!! 
“But you said he was worth a million last week!!” I’ve never forgiven him! 

It really does raise the question of why so cheap.

Just as Cureton was sold to Reading, which seemed very quickly and much lower than the usual £1m for top scorer in the third tier.

I'm not linking the reasons for why they both left though.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It really does raise the question of why so cheap.

Just as Cureton was sold to Reading, which seemed very quickly and much lower than the usual £1m for top scorer in the third tier.

I'm not linking the reasons for why they both left though.

He'd had a hamstring injury, and back then they were difficult to come back from, not many counted on Super-Bob being quite so Super.

3 hours ago, CiderJar said:

He'd had a hamstring injury, and back then they were difficult to come back from, not many counted on Super-Bob being quite so Super.

His hamstring injury was late in the previous season, 89/90, making a comeback for the last six games I believe. He wasn't sold until the following January, approximately seven months later. He was fit and playing in the new season but, instead of giving him a run of games, he was in and out of the side, so ultimately not scoring, Wayne Allison or Nicky Morgan being preferred. His best season we were playing with two wide men and Turner, providing lots of chances. The second season, we played mainly with one wide player (Dave Smith)? Gavin was sold in the August. Given a run of games by WBA, he scored 8 times in 19 games that first season and, followed it up with a return of 37 goals the following season. Surely our medical team and WBA medical team would have known if he'd had a serious problem.

13 hours ago, Rich said:

His hamstring injury was late in the previous season, 89/90, making a comeback for the last six games I believe. He wasn't sold until the following January, approximately seven months later. He was fit and playing in the new season but, instead of giving him a run of games, he was in and out of the side, so ultimately not scoring, Wayne Allison or Nicky Morgan being preferred. His best season we were playing with two wide men and Turner, providing lots of chances. The second season, we played mainly with one wide player (Dave Smith)? Gavin was sold in the August. Given a run of games by WBA, he scored 8 times in 19 games that first season and, followed it up with a return of 37 goals the following season. Surely our medical team and WBA medical team would have known if he'd had a serious problem.

Yes, but ultimately the feeling was that he hadn't fully recovered from his injury (hence being in and out of the side) and it best to cash in while we could. You over estimate the standards of our medical teams over the years. 

On 20/05/2022 at 06:54, CiderJar said:

Yes, but ultimately the feeling was that he hadn't fully recovered from his injury (hence being in and out of the side) and it best to cash in while we could. You over estimate the standards of our medical teams over the years. 

Apologies for the late reply, been busy.

I don't recall any feeling that he hadn't fully recovered from his Hamstring injury in the following season, certainly that was the feeling at the end of the previous season. As I pointed out, he'd had seven months back playing and fit. Lumsden had other options after the signing of Wayne Allison and decided to rotate the strikers in what seemed like, if they don't score in three games, change them. I feel that Bob Taylor needed a run of games, to get properly match fit, this never happened. As someone else pointed out in another post, Bobby Gould was quoted as saying Taylor is worth a million, he bought him as soon as he could for a quarter of that sum.

As for medical teams, admittedly they weren't as good as nowadays but, this was a hamstring (serious enough), not an ACL. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Apologies for the late reply, been busy.

I don't recall any feeling that he hadn't fully recovered from his Hamstring injury in the following season, certainly that was the feeling at the end of the previous season. As I pointed out, he'd had seven months back playing and fit. Lumsden had other options after the signing of Wayne Allison and decided to rotate the strikers in what seemed like, if they don't score in three games, change them. I feel that Bob Taylor needed a run of games, to get properly match fit, this never happened. As someone else pointed out in another post, Bobby Gould was quoted as saying Taylor is worth a million, he bought him as soon as he could for a quarter of that sum.

As for medical teams, admittedly they weren't as good as nowadays but, this was a hamstring (serious enough), not an ACL. 

He also lost his mother around this time

Bit late to this thread, so sorry if I'm repeating things.

I always thought that the Turner/Taylor partnership was such a good balance Bob struggled a little when Turner was sold after his altercation.
Only got 11 goals the following year and the link up with Morgan never looked natural. I know many on here lover Nicky Morgan, but it seemed that him and Taylor wanted to make the same runs. I really think things could have been very different had Turner stayed, he did all the grunt work , took all the battering and Taylor played around him. 
Always thought selling him when he looked like he was finding some form was a poor decision.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 13:08, Robbored said:

Lots of players over many many years have carried out  magnanimous  acts to local hospitals, youth club, junior football teams awards etc etc…….

Bob Taylor was one of many and really handy for him as lived close by. He was probably the nearest City player to Yatton at the time.

"...Doctors and nurses, what's all the fuss? Loads of 'em save lives...."

? Dumbest post of the post-season yet.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

"...Doctors and nurses, what's all the fuss? Loads of 'em save lives...."

? Dumbest post of the post-season yet.

Doctors and nursing are vocational careers that often span decades and nurses in particular are seriously underpaid. To draw a comparison between them and professional footballers is ludicrously dumb - you’ve just won you own prize…….

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Bit late to this thread, so sorry if I'm repeating things.

I always thought that the Turner/Taylor partnership was such a good balance Bob struggled a little when Turner was sold after his altercation.

Always thought selling him when he looked like he was finding some form was a poor decision.

It was a long time ago, and either I was never aware or have just forgotten, but what is this about a Robbie Turner altercation?

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It was a long time ago, and either I was never aware or have just forgotten, but what is this about a Robbie Turner altercation?

There was something in the tunnel, a Chester player (I think) ended up with blood on his shirt and they were going to press charges or get the FA involved. As you say a long time ago. What I was told is that Chester said sell him and we will leave it. City put Turner on the List at a Price they thought no one would touch, sadly they did. Apparently Turner was in tears in the car park when the deal was done. 

53 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He assaulted an opposition player in tunnel (PNE player IIRC) , a proper assault

52 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There was something in the tunnel, a Chester player (I think) ended up with blood on his shirt and they were going to press charges or get the FA involved. As you say a long time ago. What I was told is that Chester said sell him and we will leave it. City put Turner on the List at a Price they thought no one would touch, sadly they did. Apparently Turner was in tears in the car park when the deal was done. 

Thanks for your responses.

Whether it was Preston or Chester, I don't recall ever hearing about that.

What I do remember about Robbie Turner, was his inspired performance in the pouring rain that January 1990 afternoon against Chelsea in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

I think that is the memory I prefer to retain. 

• Robin 1

22 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for your responses.

Whether it was Preston or Chester, I don't recall ever hearing about that.

What I do remember about Robbie Turner, was his inspired performance in the pouring rain that January 1990 afternoon against Chelsea in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

I think that is the memory I prefer to retain. 

I'm 100% sure I had it on tape, just looked at my Youtube channel and I can't see it. Probably got lost when transferred , I lost a chunk of games around Turner's time.

I really didn't want him here after seeing him for the Squatters over in Bath Vs our young lads in the Glos Cup. Mardon had him in his pocket. He went to Wimbledon and come back a different player, though I was still in 2 minds when we saw his 2nd game at Swansea. Scored and gave away a Pen in a 1-1. He really grew on me , and him and Taylor throwing their sweat bands into the City fans at the end of a game was usually a signal that we had had a go day. Real shame he went.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I didn't know about that. Where did he go?

Him and Taylor were absolutely lethal. Possibly the best duo I've ever seen at City.

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I didn't know about that. Where did he go?

Him and Taylor were absolutely lethal. Possibly the best duo I've ever seen at City.

If I've got the story right.
We were pretty much forced to list Turner and we tried to play it clever by putting a high , for the circumstances, price on him. Transfermarkt has it at £154k , from memory I thought it was £175k. Either way you put that against the £250 we paid for Bob Taylor it was a lot. 
He went to Plymouth from us, real shame, like you say a lethal partnership.

On 18/05/2022 at 15:53, CyderInACan said:

Pretty sure it was 34 - would've been more had it not been for that injury v. Crewe (h) 

Not only would it have been more, but we almost certainly would've taken the title off the Fewers as well.  Managed to get my name in Match Magazine at the time for requesting a Super Bob poster!

On 18/05/2022 at 22:33, Robbored said:

They were only down there for a season!  That's nowhere near long enough!

• Robin 1