IGNORED

Cantons and Fergie

Davefevs

21 minutes ago, 2015 said:

As much as Ferguson annoyed me a lot growing up, he is for me easily the best Manager this Country has ever seen and arguably the World. His man management was genius levels.

Just now, italian dave said:

Thanks @Davefevs, not seen that. Exactly what @2015 said: he used to annoy me at the time he was managing, but it’s almost like the more you look back the more you realise what a fantastic manager he really was. 

Same view here 

• Like 1

Completely rebuilt the club from top to bottom. It wasn't a five minute fix, but to borrow a phrase from someone else "these things take time". He was the boss, and what he said goes, cross him and you were off - biggest two examples being Beckham and Stam (the latter he admitted he regretted a lot).

Any of this sound familiar? We are seeing a rebuild ourselves, nothing on the scale of Man Utd in the late 80s/early 90s, but there similarities. A manager who will call a spade a spade, and if you don't like what he's doing, then off you go.

I'm not saying we're going to be the next Man Utd, but rebuilds take time, and if not done right, e.g. right throughout the club not just the first team, then you won't see success over a sustained period.

Pearson may not even be "our Fergie", but he's going the right way to get the rebuild going.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

One chap I worked with suffered a major accident which ended his working career.

As he was a Man Utd fan , one of the lads sent Manchester United one of his autobiographies and asked if there was any chance of Sir Alex signing it , explaining the reason.

I have tbh I wasn’t expecting much success 

The book was returned , almost by return , signed by sir Alex , and ......ll accompanied by a 1 & 1/2 page handwritten personal letter , from Ferguson , addressed to the guy , about United , the accident ,and wishing the lad all the best for the future.

I thought that was brilliant

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Taz said:

Completely rebuilt the club from top to bottom. It wasn't a five minute fix, but to borrow a phrase from someone else "these things take time". He was the boss, and what he said goes, cross him and you were off - biggest two examples being Beckham and Stam (the latter he admitted he regretted a lot).

Any of this sound familiar? We are seeing a rebuild ourselves, nothing on the scale of Man Utd in the late 80s/early 90s, but there similarities. A manager who will call a spade a spade, and if you don't like what he's doing, then off you go.

I'm not saying we're going to be the next Man Utd, but rebuilds take time, and if not done right, e.g. right throughout the club not just the first team, then you won't see success over a sustained period.

Pearson may not even be "our Fergie", but he's going the right way to get the rebuild going.

Well said @Taz

Our "Fergie" has now had 15 months with us and while many City supporters will judge him by the wins, draws, losses and place in the table, and rightly so, a lot has happened so far that we are not fully aware of.

Read the current thread about the Medical team led by Dave Rennie. Not the new ideas and how they are used but the fact that one poster has spotted that non coach Rennie the medical man is watching training sessions and by doing so, is ensuring that the lazy trainers work just as hard as the fitness fanatics.

I watched the U 23 game on Tuesday. We were able to leave out four or five regular, when fit and on form, under 23's. Because, as Tinman said after, City's U23 side is really an U18 +. Those not playing are considered as full members of the First Team squad.

One of Fergies predecessors at Man U was Sir Matt Busby. In the early 1950's he did exactly the same as Fergie and our Nigel are doing.

Playing talented kids as regular first teamers. The Busby Babes had four or five elder statesmen and the babes made up a great team. Fergie followed that thinking with the Class of 92. Kids who won trophies!

Football is a wonderful game and in many ways a simple game. No need for large squads. No need for too many expensive stars. Just everyone in the club, working for one end result; Success on the pitch.

For a pessimist like me, I have a very warm and optimistic feeling about the coming season. Some more will leave the squad and a couple more may arrive. We are looking like a team that will look after each other at all times.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

39 minutes ago, Taz said:

???

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Well said @Taz

Our "Fergie" has now had 15 months with us and while many City supporters will judge him by the wins, draws, losses and place in the table, and rightly so, a lot has happened so far that we are not fully aware of.

Read the current thread about the Medical team led by Dave Rennie. Not the new ideas and how they are used but the fact that one poster has spotted that non coach Rennie the medical man is watching training sessions and by doing so, is ensuring that the lazy trainers work just as hard as the fitness fanatics.

I watched the U 23 game on Tuesday. We were able to leave out four or five regular, when fit and on form, under 23's. Because, as Tinman said after, City's U23 side is really an U18 +. Those not playing are considered as full members of the First Team squad.

One of Fergies predecessors at Man U was Sir Matt Busby. In the early 1950's he did exactly the same as Fergie and our Nigel are doing.

Playing talented kids as regular first teamers. The Busby Babes had four or five elder statesmen and the babes made up a great team. Fergie followed that thinking with the Class of 92. Kids who won trophies!

Football is a wonderful game and in many ways a simple game. No need for large squads. No need for too many expensive stars. Just everyone in the club, working for one end result; Success on the pitch.

For a pessimist like me, I have a very warm and optimistic feeling about the coming season. Some more will leave the squad and a couple may arrive. We are looking like a team that will look after each other at all times.

???

I just hope he’s here long enough , that he , and his aides have enough time to develop and set the culture here that will remain for a long time post his tenure.

Not easy to maintain it - Look at United now , things did change almost as soon as Fergie was out the door, even after all his work 

Leeds / Revie.  Forest / Clough  the same 

Pearson may or may not have his own success here, but more likely IMO , is he is setting someone else up for a real chance of success with the squad and culture he will leave, with a culture that exists beyond the first team 

The appointment post Pearson is probably as an important appointment as I’ve seen in my time (If the Club are serious about pushing on)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Much of Fergie's succes was founded in the class of 92 - Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and the Nevilles.

While not putting us in Man U's bracket, let's hope the crop of academy youngsters that have come through, and are coming through, give us the nucleus of a successful team.

P.S. those of my age will remember Me Dicks' success being founded on a group of the club's youth team players 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

As much as Ferguson annoyed me a lot growing up, he is for me easily the best Manager this Country has ever seen and arguably the World. His man management was genius levels.

It was lucky that he was given more time then than all his successors. I thought it was said that he left the club in a mess when he "retired".

21 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Well said @Taz. Some more will leave the squad and a couple more may arrive. We are looking like a team that will look after each other at all times.

I am currently reading the book on Gerry Gow " He,s here  he,s there", and while it is a story  obviously on Gerry and his life, it strikes me the similarities of the workings of Dicks and Sillett in the early 70s to today, regarding building a team from the bottom introducing youngsters regularly. Anyway there is a chapter called " we have ourselves a team " where Dicks only realises, in about 1975 that his side is complete   after a couple of players wreck a hotel kitchen on an away game. He asked rhem next day that anyone who wasn't responsible could leave the room, and no-one moved , so he said he would fine every one of them. Only one player got up and left saying he was'nt involved. Bobby Gould. He was sold a few months later, but that was when Dicks knew they were a team, not just a collection of players.

Edited by The Horse With No Name
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I am currently reading the book on Gerry Gow " He,s here  he,s there", and while it is a story  obviously on Gerry and his life, it strikes me the similarities of the workings of Dicks and Sillett in the early 70s to today, regarding building a team from the bottom introducing youngsters regularly. Anyway there is a chapter called " we have ourselves a team " where Dicks only realises, in about 1974 that his side is complete   after a couple of players wreck a hotel kitchen on an away game. He asked rhem next day that anyone who wasn't responsible could leave the room, and no-one moved , so he said he would fine every one of them. Only one player got up and left saying he was'nt involved. Bobby Gould. He was sold a few months later, but that was when Dicks knew they were a team, not just a collection of players.

I've never heard that one before. I knew they were a closely knit unit but not that close. They came to my employer's social club in West Street and the Mickey taking amongst them was amazing. Remember that the most  cruel piss taking only occurs between very close friends. Example; Cash dropped a skittle ball and as one they roared with laughter. "Cash has dropped another easy catch"

Gould leaving was the opening to bring Paul Cheesley back home from Norwich.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, downendcity said:

Much of Fergie's succes was founded in the class of 92 - Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and the Nevilles.

While not putting us in Man U's bracket, let's hope the crop of academy youngsters that have come through, and are coming through, give us the nucleus of a successful team.

P.S. those of my age will remember Me Dicks' success being founded on a group of the club's youth team players 

+ Nicky Butt..

I’m with you on the team Alan Dicks nurtured..