IGNORED

Football Fans and Alleged Cocaine Use

exAtyeoMax

Talk of cocaine use at football grounds and reference to police swabbing surfaces within Ashton gate. Yet no reference to what was found. Typical crap journalism. Surely the journalist should have enquired what if anything, was the result of the police forces swabbing investigation.

Typical Post click bait and, negative reference to Bristol City as the police operation was carried out at AG and the vicinity, even though Rovers were mentioned in the headline.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What would the police find if they swabbed the houses of parliament I wonder?

I thought cocaine was meant to raise your heart rate, make you alert and edgy? I think they need to have a word with their dealer!

• Robin 1

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Legalise it, regulate it, tax it. Improve education, reduce crime and ensure that the product is not cut with toxic substances.

Think of the tax that and weed could generate.......we'd fix the economy over night ?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Cocaine use is a scapegoat for the real offender which is Alcohol abuse but nobody wants to talk about that.

Good point. By those using both, coke is used to blur out the lack of co-ordination and tiredness that often accompanies excess alcohol use. You can get more beers in. Unfortunately, cocaine won't cancel the impaired judgement and confusion that excess alcohol consumption brings, which often leads to aggression - especially as it adds paranoia and excess excitement into the mix.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Good point. By those using both, coke is used to blur out the lack of co-ordination and tiredness that often accompanies excess alcohol use. You can get more beers in. Unfortunately, cocaine won't cancel the impaired judgement and confusion that excess alcohol consumption brings, which often leads to aggression - especially as it adds paranoia and excess excitement into the mix.

Thank you. You can drink way over your normal limit when on coke, but its the effects of the booze, not the gear that makes people act like *****. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

25 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Thank you. You can drink way over your normal limit when on coke, but its the effects of the booze, not the gear that makes people act like *****. 

I would argue it's both due to the combined affects, but agree with your points. I wrote a really lengthy post on the Billy Sharp topic but deleted it before posting as I felt I went off on a tangent, but football clubs and police focusing on cocaine use is ignoring the elephants in the room such as alcohol and also some of the dynamics in play across society. I'll copy in what I wrote anyway: 

It's very unlikely that someone is using cocaine without also using alcohol in my experience. 

Which turns into Cocaethylene. https://www.healthline.com/health/cocaine-and-alcohol which can result in all sorts of longer term difficulties and increase some of the negative behaviour. Not sure how much research has been done about the final part, but it makes some sense. 

I don't think you can really pin it on cocaine alone. I've seen plenty of people act out just on alcohol, me included, but cocaine mixed has long been known to increase negative behaviour. 

I think the general feeling is that Cocaine use has increased, but without seeing the stats I'm not sure. (2020 they said it hadn't changed, but lockdowns may well have increased use since then as it generally increased over that period) I've always worked in and around substances and they've been a part of my life outside of work too so my vision is blurred as I feel they are everywhere and always have been. 

As others have pointed out there's much more than just substance use going on. What is it about (primarily) men that sees them want to act in this way in big groups? Why does football seem to be a particular draw? How is the history of football violence and the scene  around it presented to young people now?  What is it offering to them? (I just want to point out that whilst I'm interested in people's motivations acting like this person has is no excuse and doesn't really need a deep retrospection. Being intoxicated isn't an excuse and you have to take responsibility for your actions.)  

I remember a few of my friends getting sucked into similar patters when we were 16-18 years old. I drifted off and got into raving instead but I think we were seeking similar things. Not sure if they are still out there now. 

Most people take substances and drink alcohol without causing themselves and others problems. Whilst I appreciate that some think the police might have a role to play they can't stop substance use so I'd always prefer a more harm reduction informed approach including around alcohol use. Appreciate this might be hard in this particular group of people and the environment, but I think it has a role to play. 

Edited by Rebounder

20 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Pointless war on drugs.

Alothugh its more of an excuse to punish and jail poor people.

I wouldn't be sure about that, most of the dealers are obscenely wealthy from the profit they make out of others' addiction and suffering. 

It is getting more and more common and popular among younger people and needs to be stopped somehow.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

I wouldn't be sure about that, most of the dealers are obscenely wealthy from the profit they make out of others' addiction and suffering. 

It is getting more and more common and popular among younger people and needs to be stopped somehow.

Dont think you could be more wrong.

53 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Isn't that how it is made though, with petrol and chemicals etc added to it. 

Doubt if its petrol these days, far too expensive !!! They do say that's its cheaper to buy cocaine and run everywhere than it is to take the car out.

• Haha 6