Jump to content
IGNORED

Fences back


Recommended Posts

After the disgracefully assault on Billy Sharp and what appeared to be Swindon players attacked after the final whistle. I feel the FA will be expected to take strong action against fans and potentially clubs. And surely there will be a move by some to bring back the fences and caging fans as we once where. I dread the return to these measures. But honestly I am in disbelieve at the action of some fans. I hope life bans and proper jail sentences are used for all involved. Our game does not need these idiots. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't have thought fences at this stage certainly

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clubs-could-face-partial-stadium-closures-in-efl-crackdown-on-pitch-invasions-j3bkvwcng

Was going to put this on the playoff thread but saw this on Wednesday in the Times. Granted largely behind a paywall...anyway partial capacity reductions or behind closed doors games are a possible punishment.

Last couple of days have contained some pretty nasty incidents.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wouldn't have thought fences at this stage certainly

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clubs-could-face-partial-stadium-closures-in-efl-crackdown-on-pitch-invasions-j3bkvwcng

Was going to put this on the playoff thread but saw this on Wednesday in the Times. Granted largely behind a paywall...anyway partial capacity reductions or behind closed doors games are a possible punishment.

Last couple of days have contained some pretty nasty incidents.

A nice comment underneath that article! 

“Also a disgrace was the pitch invasion at Bristol Rovers a few weeks ago. The pitch was invaded 5 minutes from the end when BR scored a seventh goal to lift them into an automatic promotion place. The game restarted 20 minutes later but I imagine the opposition were too scared to play anymore and just wanted to get off the pitch safely. If the opposition had pulled a goal back in those last 5 minutes BR would have had to settle for the playoffs, not to mention the riot that may have ensued.”

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

After the disgracefully assault on Billy Sharp and what appeared to be Swindon players attacked after the final whistle. I feel the FA will be expected to take strong action against fans and potentially clubs. And surely there will be a move by some to bring back the fences and caging fans as we once where. I dread the return to these measures. But honestly I am in disbelieve at the action of some fans. I hope life bans and proper jail sentences are used for all involved. Our game does not need these idiots. 

Fences will not come back as it blocks a planned escape in event of an emergency,

If there were to come back every single ground would have to close or have attendances reduced by half

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

After the disgracefully assault on Billy Sharp and what appeared to be Swindon players attacked after the final whistle. I feel the FA will be expected to take strong action against fans and potentially clubs. And surely there will be a move by some to bring back the fences and caging fans as we once where. I dread the return to these measures. But honestly I am in disbelieve at the action of some fans. I hope life bans and proper jail sentences are used for all involved. Our game does not need these idiots. 

£10,000 fine & a ten year ban for entering the pitch . Make sure there are plenty of posters , social media notifications so nobody can say they didn’t know . Even adverts on talkSPORT , sky sports etc. 

I see news outlets saying Patrick viera will be in trouble for what happened , but how about the ***** that was in his face . Punishments need to be hard , to rid these **** wits out of the game . 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, trickytimes said:

Surely the flat fences at Wembley are a danger then. If they are difficult to climb over, then they would be even more of a barrier in an emergency.

I’m guessing not as there are enough exits in Wembley (and new stadiums) to get out in an emergency, I’m not an H&S expert so don’t know but I assume it’s been cleared for use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure fences are the answer but soon a player, manager etc will be seriously hurt or worse. More police at games that are at risk of a pitch invasion is a must and stronger penalties. Ban and fine every fan that goes onto a pitch.

Edited by Super
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Wembley has flat horizontal fences which stick out rather than up, which are more difficult to climb over, which is why you don’t get many pitch invasions as Wembley.  

16A477B2-49C5-4BC5-997B-7AE9044CD7EF.jpeg

Millwall are the only ones I can remember

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I recall in Italy a number of games behind closed doors as a punishment . The recent invasions and violence cannot be ignored. It is not isolated, it is widespread. It is out of control. 

This young chap lost control at Ashton Gate. They will stop selling alcohol, reduce capacities, deduct points, put up fencing, and yet there will still be idiots like this being reproduced all over the country.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

£10,000 fine & a ten year ban for entering the pitch . Make sure there are plenty of posters , social media notifications so nobody can say they didn’t know . Even adverts on talkSPORT , sky sports etc. 

I see news outlets saying Patrick viera will be in trouble for what happened , but how about the ***** that was in his face . Punishments need to be hard , to rid these **** wits out of the game . 

Life ban 10 years in jail

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Possibly the only way to stop it would be to literally have dozens if not hundreds of properly paid and trained crowd security personnel around the pitch at high risk games and clubs foot the bill.

Clubs foot the bill? Where do you think that cost will ultimately end up? Yep, all of us will have to pay for the idiots who act like sheep and copy the latest law breaking they see going on elsewhere. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should player be abused? No of course not. But anyone say calling for fines and bans for fans, points deductions  and other punishments need to grow up or stay away from football. 

Fans have been doing pitch invasions for as long as I can remember, including ironically Swindon at the county ground against Port Vale 2012! Fans spend thousands of pounds and years of travelling up and down the country for very few moments like these, dont let a few isolated incidences and the media fool you into forcing an agenda to ruin rare moments like these for real fans. Sky sports were more than happy to jump on the bandwagon last night and shows how out of touch they really are.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, no to fences, not the answer, the deductions fines and rest, definitely. 

Culture has changed and there's no responsibility any more for anything, people are angry and violent coming off 2 years of Lockdown which has changed everything, it will take a long time to adjust. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Should player be abused? No of course not. But anyone say calling for fines and bans for fans, points deductions  and other punishments need to grow up or stay away from football. 

Fans have been doing pitch invasions for as long as I can remember, including ironically Swindon at the county ground against Port Vale 2012! Fans spend thousands of pounds and years of travelling up and down the country for very few moments like these, dont let a few isolated incidences and the media fool you into forcing an agenda to ruin rare moments like these for real fans. Sky sports were more than happy to jump on the bandwagon last night and shows how out of touch they really are.

Wow, just wow

So because you spend a few quid (individuals choice) following your team you should be allowed to invade the pitch?

Its pathetic to see grown men doing this and the quicker it stops the better

 

  • Like 8
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Should player be abused? No of course not. But anyone say calling for fines and bans for fans, points deductions  and other punishments need to grow up or stay away from football. 

Fans have been doing pitch invasions for as long as I can remember, including ironically Swindon at the county ground against Port Vale 2012! Fans spend thousands of pounds and years of travelling up and down the country for very few moments like these, dont let a few isolated incidences and the media fool you into forcing an agenda to ruin rare moments like these for real fans. Sky sports were more than happy to jump on the bandwagon last night and shows how out of touch they really are.

I’m not sure it’s the pitch invasions per se that is the issue. In the last week we have seen Billy Sharp get assaulted, Vieira get abused last night and Swindon players physically abused last night.  Think there has been one more incident as well but so many I’ve forgotten!  I assume you are not happy about those incidents!  One way to stop them is to stop fans going on the pitch. If fans can’t be trusted to behave on the pitch then they shouldn’t go on it, whether they’ve paid money or not 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Possibly the only way to stop it would be to literally have dozens if not hundreds of properly paid and trained crowd security personnel around the pitch at high risk games and clubs foot the bill.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I recall in Italy a number of games behind closed doors as a punishment . The recent invasions and violence cannot be ignored. It is not isolated, it is widespread. It is out of control. 

 

yep, reduce capacity, season card holders only, behind closed doors etc.  second breach, points deductions, etc.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

 

yep, reduce capacity, season card holders only, behind closed doors etc.  second breach, points deductions, etc.

 

"Why have we suddenly got a minority of fans being absolute dicks lately?"

I think the answer to this is simple. People see the government flouting any rules they see fit, and think, **** it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Doris J and his cronies setting a poor example, the gloves are off for the mindless.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember the days of fences and barriers well, it was horrible. Certainly didn't feel any safer being caged in and with such a restricted view. I watched many a game through railings and mesh.

Then of course Hillsborough tragedy happened. This changed everything. On the whole fans had to sit and fences removed. As far as i can remember if you had seats grounds couldn't have fencing, people couldn't move to a better view unlike terracing.

I see what people on other threads are saying about removing 10 rows of seats from use all round the pitches to make a barrier, but as I've said elsewhere clubs cannot financially lose out on thousands of pounds and where would hundreds of fans be moved to? And as I've also said many clubs like Luton and Bournemouth for example would have no crowd if they had to lose 10 rows!

Also the Wembley horizontal fencing might work there with a huge run off, but most grounds cannot have a solid metal structure almost overhanging the pitch. You cannot even wrap it with padding as that totally defeats its purpose.

I really hope that fences do not return. I hope the clubs are more strict about refusing entry to those that have obviously drunk to much. I've certainly seen fans get into away grounds being too drunk to function. But what can you do when as soon as people are inside clubs want to sell as much alcohol as they can to you. People shouldn't be going 3 to a toilet cubical,  but can we police the toilets?

'Prevention' of a few has got to be a better road to go down than 'cure' of the masses?

Oh and for the record, I love a joyous pitch invasion, but it has to be that and respect the other team. Let them get off and away without incident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Should player be abused? No of course not. But anyone say calling for fines and bans for fans, points deductions  and other punishments need to grow up or stay away from football. 

Fans have been doing pitch invasions for as long as I can remember, including ironically Swindon at the county ground against Port Vale 2012! Fans spend thousands of pounds and years of travelling up and down the country for very few moments like these, dont let a few isolated incidences and the media fool you into forcing an agenda to ruin rare moments like these for real fans. Sky sports were more than happy to jump on the bandwagon last night and shows how out of touch they really are.

Entering the field of play is illegal and punishable by football banning orders or prison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People have forgotten how to behave. Look at our 'leaders'. Rapists, coke sniffing, liars.  They're having a hugely damaging impact on society, let alone their efforts to turn us into a 3rd rate country. 

Ignore the rules, do what you want, **** the consequences.  You'll probably get away with it anyway.

 

  • Like 13
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...