IGNORED

Fences back

1 hour ago, bbew said:

It's about context and common sense surely.  Going 32 mph in a 30 is illegal, but clearly not as bad as driving at 50 in a 30.

Celebrating promotion on the pitch is clearly different to randomly invading.

Throw the book at those who misbehave, but don't spoil for it everyone.

Totally agree but I did read somewhere that the fan who attacked Billy Sharp has been given 6 months . If this is correct it is a total let down. These people need to understand their actions are not acceptable in society. 

Just now, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Totally agree but I did read somewhere that the fan who attacked Billy Sharp has been given 6 months . If this is correct it is a total let down. These people need to understand their actions are not acceptable in society. 

2 hours ago, bbew said:

It's about context and common sense surely.  Going 32 mph in a 30 is illegal, but clearly not as bad as driving at 50 in a 30.

Celebrating promotion on the pitch is clearly different to randomly invading.

Throw the book at those who misbehave, but don't spoil for it everyone.

The problem is those behaving appallingly are the ones spoiling it for everyone.

As long as some people who invade pitches are attacking or abusing players, clubs, security and police have to treat anyone who gets on the pitch as a potential threat. Similarly the fact a few fans - including parents of young kids - seem to be trying to turn pitch invasions into a weekly ritual rather than a thing that happens after an incredible result then clubs have to step up security to avoid disruption to games.

I don’t want to see ordinary fans with no malicious intent criminalised for getting on the pitch once a season*. However I think it is the small band of (often) coked up idiots doing that rather than the footballing authorities. 

*(even if, if I’m being really honest, I only really think it makes sense if you’ve won promotion or stayed up and find it a bit tinpot when people do it after a mid-table finish).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yeah, he got 6 months.

A fan has been jailed after running on to a pitch and headbutting a footballer at the end of Nottingham Forest's play-off match with Sheffield United.

Billy Sharp, Sheffield United's captain, was attacked after his side lost to Forest on penalties. 

Sharp was knocked to the ground and required four stitches to his lip.

Forest season ticket holder Robert Biggs, 30, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed for 24 weeks.

At Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Thursday, Biggs, from Church View, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, was ordered to pay £500 compensation to Sharp, £85 in costs and a £128 victim surcharge.

Biggs, who Nottingham Forest have said will be banned for life, was also given a 10-year football banning order.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-61505835.amp

Way too low a sentence for a violent attack. 

19 hours ago, IAmNick said:

If your solution just ends up with more people giving and being on the receiving end of physical violence that doesn't sound like much of a solution to me though! You've "out bullied" the bully in your case, so they go off to bully someone else instead. More people who think being violent is an answer, more people who are subject to it.

The bullies just end up learning to punch down onto the most vulnerable instead, or at least the more vulnerable. I guess it's a fix if you're not one of them. That's not the kind of society I want to live in though (and I'm not saying you do or think that's a good thing by the way, just to be clear).

My ‘solution’ is a ‘last chance’ one when all other avenues have failed. 
I absolutely hate violence of any sort - just as I hate war, but sometimes when diplomacy has failed it’s sadly necessary. 

15 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Yeah, he got 6 months.

A fan has been jailed after running on to a pitch and headbutting a footballer at the end of Nottingham Forest's play-off match with Sheffield United.

Billy Sharp, Sheffield United's captain, was attacked after his side lost to Forest on penalties. 

Sharp was knocked to the ground and required four stitches to his lip.

Forest season ticket holder Robert Biggs, 30, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed for 24 weeks.

At Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Thursday, Biggs, from Church View, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, was ordered to pay £500 compensation to Sharp, £85 in costs and a £128 victim surcharge.

Biggs, who Nottingham Forest have said will be banned for life, was also given a 10-year football banning order.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-61505835.amp

Way too low a sentence for a violent attack. 

A total.joke.

Our country should be embarrassed. How do you expect any one to see any detterant in that . These scum need to be shown violence will not be tolerated. Winning and emotional celebration is no excuse. Total ***** , ten years no parole simple.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting line, Something in the Times today too about a lack of experienced stewards, ability to recruit and retain has changed drastically since Covid it would seem.

Translation...They're retiring and leaving, or looking at other sectors. Not returning either.

Good point. Clubs need to have better trained/ paid. Stewards. And remembering that the club are required to pay for policing  always strikes me higher policing levels in grounds would control these situations better than stewards . But often stewards and police stand back not engaging the situations for too long . Not easy for the club's and certainly will incur costs. But has to be dealt with soon 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
I can't spell shit

Football League again- dunno if it's a rehashed article- have come out about pitch invasions, tougher sanctions etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10867967/EFL-chief-executive-Trevor-Birch-says-tougher-sanctions-brought-combat-pitch-invasions.html

Clearly not a risk of fences, more like fines or capacity limits. Says most fans are a credit but that invasions of the pitch need to stop- minority ruining as per.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 20/05/2022 at 13:29, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You’re simply wrong.  Anyone who went to football matches in the Sixties and Seventies will know that there was far more wilful antisocial behaviour then.  While there are some bad apples, I am constantly amazed at how well-balanced  and sensible most of today’s teenagers are.  A few pitch invasions and people go completely over the top.  Yes it has to be stopped but be real, in the 60s there was open fighting on the terraces and people were getting badly hurt (I saw someone stabbed at Ashton Gate at Ashton Gate as a youngster).

I was reading a book about football fans in 1890s or so, there was mass disturbances with both men and women in the crowd and referees were usually drunk. 

Edited by exAtyeoMax

3 minutes ago, Tookster said:

Mixed messages given all season with clubs not discouraging kids running on the pitch to get shirts. Too many idiots around to be trusted.

I don't know about other clubs, but think City actually managed that quite well. Discouraged not by outright trying to stop them, which could have got unpleasant, but just by ensuring that players didn't give them shirts - and pretty soon that stopped it.

Agree that there seem to be plenty of idiots around though - and by no means all youngsters.

On 21/05/2022 at 23:35, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Good point. Clubs need to have better trained/ paid. Stewards. And remembering that the club are required to pay for policing  always strikes me higher policing levels in grounds would control these situations better than stewards . But often stewards and police stand back not engaging the situations for too long . Not easy for the club's and certainly will incur costs. But has to be dealt with soon 

This sort of behaviour happens most weeks  on public transport after the games , I reckon clubs for security on trains after fans are awful 

On 22/05/2022 at 01:23, Rocking Red Cyril said:

A total.joke.

Our country should be embarrassed. How do you expect any one to see any detterant in that . These scum need to be shown violence will not be tolerated. Winning and emotional celebration is no excuse. Total ***** , ten years no parole simple.

I’d go American, 143 consecutive life sentences, that would sort it out quickly……………

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Stockwood gate said:

This sort of behaviour happens most weeks  on public transport after the games , I reckon clubs for security on trains after fans are awful 

In my experience if traveling to city away games on trains . The police are no where in sight any where on a journey both ways 

16 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Put repeat performers in goal mouth before start of each match as City forwards line up for shooting practice.  They may not get hit but it will be a humbling experience in front of  the crowd nevertheless 

Put them in row z... more likely to get hit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/05/2022 at 09:06, glynriley said:

"Why have we suddenly got a minority of fans being absolute dicks lately?"

I think the answer to this is simple. People see the government flouting any rules they see fit, and think, **** it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Doris J and his cronies setting a poor example, the gloves are off for the mindless.

I don’t think anyone’s out their invading pitches and attacking players because of the governments actions.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Do you not?  Don’t you think that a government that has shown such contempt for obeying the law might be influencing people?

Not a chance in hell that crosses anyone's mind 

I've seen lots of random things blamed on various political parties in the politics section of this forum but this is one of the best 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, phantom said:

Not a chance in hell that crosses anyone's mind 

I've seen lots of random things blamed on various political parties in the politics section of this forum but this is one of the best 

not on a conscious level, but the “general feeling” of the country starts by what those at the top are doing and filters down

sadly, at the moment that’s self entitlement, selfishness and law breaking

the world generally going to shite probably also not helping.

I think it’s a combination of the above, fame and social media culture and the fact going to the football at the moment - more than before seems to be very much a SESH thing for some people (drink and drugs)

Edited by Fjmcity