IGNORED

Sacking the manager

Robbored

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Both Leeds and Burnley sacked their respective managers in an effort to avoid relegation from the PL but now one of them will joining us in the Championship next season.

It just shows that changing managers in a time of difficulty isn’t always the right decision and I firmly believe that had Burnley held on to Dyche that they wouldn’t  be in the precarious situation that they’re currently in. He was relegated first time around with them but bounced straight back up and there’s be no reason why he couldn’t have done the same if they’d gone down again.

The owners of both Burnley and Leeds obviously felt under immense pressure at the possibility of them losing PL status but the  in case of Leeds and Bielsa it’s more understandable with his poor command of English and if whispers are anything to go by his stubborn refusal to change tactics and style of play.

Personally I hope Leeds get relegated. 

Since sacking Dyche they have gained 10 points, winning 3 in a row I think, that’s probably kept them in with a sniff of staying up

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:facepalm:………..umm…….they’re still deep in the shit Graham. It could be all over come Sunday evening.

Burnley are certainly still in deep trouble, although perhaps not quite so deep as they would have been were Dyche still in charge.

I fear that, had they not sacked Dyche, they would have already been relegated. 

There can be no doubt that Dyche did a wonderful job at Burnley, but, unfortunately, and for whatever reason, they were on a downward spiral when Burnley decided to dispose of his services.

• Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, Midred said:

It will be interesting to see how Manure get on next season. The team, one of the most expensive in the pl have seen off a manager and a caretaker manager this season. How managers does it take to get the same set of players to perform consistently? 

The problems there run deeper than the coaching. They seem to have adopted a similar recruitment process to 2000’s Real Madrid, buying good players but without considering the team. Not so much galacticos, more like desperados.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Since sacking Dyche they have gained 10 points, winning 3 in a row I think, that’s probably kept them in with a sniff of staying up

I think it is more likely that Leeds get a result at Brentford than Burnley get a result against Newcastle. Anything is possible but I think Burnley will be relegated.

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The rumour is it was a very unhappy dressing room under Dyche, and that would make sense given their recent upturn in form. 

Dyche did a great job there, but with selling their best striker to a rival, anyone was going to struggle with an already weak squad. His time had come otherwise they were going down anyway, hopefully they survive and leeds get relegated!

6 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

The problems there run deeper than the coaching. They seem to have adopted a similar recruitment process to 2000’s Real Madrid, buying good players but without considering the team. Not so much galacticos, more like desperados.

The new guy at Man Utd will want to bring in a similar approach to Ajax bringing through the young players etc etc which is great, but will he be given the 3 years time to make this work is the real question.  I doubt he will and they will panic and go back to big name managers and chucking money at players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

What's the answer then? Never sack any manager, ever? Should we still have Alan Dicks as manager? Or Bob Houghton? Or Roy Hodgson??? Actually, we could've done worse than given Roy a 40 year contract, a job for life.

Perhaps we take a leaf out of The Vatican's book. There's a decent sized chimney in the South Stand that could be used for the white smoke signal.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Dyche did a great job there, but with selling their best striker to a rival, anyone was going to struggle with an already weak squad. His time had come otherwise they were going down anyway, hopefully they survive and leeds get relegated!

I don't think Burnley had a choice re selling Chris Wood - all Newcastle had to do was to meet the release clause. It seemed to be a bit of an unsportsmanlike strategic move by Newcastle.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't think Burnley had a choice re selling Chris Wood - all Newcastle had to do was to meet the release clause. It seemed to be a bit of an unsportsmanlike strategic move by Newcastle.

Not unsportmanlike to be honest, it was in his contract so he met the contract conditions

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not unsportmanlike to be honest, it was in his contract so he met the contract conditions

Oh, it was above board. No problem with that in itself. But I thought (and I haven't looked closely) that NUFC's main driver behind the move was to cripple Burnley's attack and assist their relegation - if it was a genuine move for a player they wanted then I withdraw my accusation.

20 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Oh, it was above board. No problem with that in itself. But I thought (and I haven't looked closely) that NUFC's main driver behind the move was to cripple Burnley's attack and assist their relegation - if it was a genuine move for a player they wanted then I withdraw my accusation.

Remember that Matty Taylor bloke, didn’t somebody sign him to stop his previous club with their promotion charge? ??

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

8 hours ago, glynriley said:

Absolutely, sacking a manager isn't always the answer. Look what happened to us after we sacked Gary Johnson.

and further back; Alan Dicks.

September 1980 Alan was sacked after a poor start in Div 2. 20 months later we were in Div 4.

Conversely, sacking Fred Ford in mid season prevented relegation.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

It took the players refusing to play for GJ after they’d manhandled him out of the dressing room at Argyle that forced GJ to sack him.

City wouldn’t have a team otherwise.

So, GJ sacked GJ?

This is harder to follow than the plot of a Christopher Nolan film.

Patrick Star Mind Blown GIF - Patrick Star Mind Blown Explode - Discover &  Share GIFs

9 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I do, however, the OP was a weird false Dichotomy. I've not seen calls to sack NP for a bit, so it was a strange post to make in the first instance. 

The claim from another poster that GJ should have stayed, despite everything falling apart was also odd, to me. 

If whooshed, so be it, this week has been nuts anyway. 

That's because there's no losses in the off season for the cretins to dogpile on.

On 20/05/2022 at 09:36, GrahamC said:

I thought sacking Dyche was mad, but they have definitely had far better results since, so that completely demolishes this argument.

5 defeats in the last 6 games under him, they were 4 points adrift from safety then.

Now they are out of the relegation zone with 1 game left & won 3 drawn 2 & lost 3 since he went.

Ooops!

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So Burnley were wrong to sack Dyche………….:dunno:

I firmly believe has they stuck by him it would have been Leeds that’ll be playing us next season.

There was no right or wrong call as you can’t know how Dyche would have done, he could have had Burnley finish bottom for all anyone knows. There’s only decisions and making the best out of the decisions you make.