IGNORED

RIP Tinners

Olé

Well I didn't know him personally but I can tell by your reaction what he meant to you and he sounded a good and loyal city fan and friend to you and for that I'm sorry he has gone and hope if their is an afterlife he is up their with like minded people and one day we all meet again like on here and have a good chat about city and life in general. RIP Martin. 

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Like 2
  • Robin 3

35 minutes ago, Olé said:

Martin was beyond all of us. He followed City home and away for more than 50 years while living in South London. He was so positive and brought City fans together at away games all over the country. I spent hours with him on trains and night buses. He loved his friends and family and was chatting to me during 99% of my abysmal match reports. The best City fan ever.

B2C56EB6-3F5E-43AB-B208-CC2D852F869C.jpeg

The best of us. A gentleman. A beautiful soul, City to his core. God bless dear friend.

• Like 3
  • Robin 4

Martin is one of a kind and I feel privileged to have known him. His knowledge and passion for our club is beyond anything I have experienced. Legends are frequently spoken about on the pitch. Today we respect and honour the memory of a true legend off the pitch and a friend to so many of us. ❤️

• Like 9
  • Robin 8

Rest in Peace. What a hero, and a fascinating man to spend time with. I met him just once, at an away game and he was interesting, accommodating, and incredibly generous with both his time and his knowledge. Plus he was so clearly City to his core.

My thoughts are with those who knew him better than I.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
  • Robin 4

I never knew him well or even by name but just from that photo I can remember chatting to him on don’t know how many occasions over the years at away games. Always just a really nice guy. And I think I must have known him forty-ish years ago when I was involved with the London branch. RIP. Condolences to family and friends, not least Rob who clearly knew him well. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, Olé said:

Martin was beyond all of us. He followed City home and away for more than 50 years while living in South London. He was so positive and brought City fans together at away games all over the country. I spent hours with him on trains and night buses. He loved his friends and family and was chatting to me during 99% of my abysmal match reports. The best City fan ever.

A genuinely smashing bloke and City through and through! Really sad.

• Robin 1

Genuinely gutted to hear the news yesterday, was one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. Hardly missed a game and that was seriously impressive considering he lived in Wimbledon.

Must’ve went to half the grounds in the UK along with him & Chimo who you’d usually see him at every ground with. 

I said to a friend he knew every town and city in the UK like the back of his hand, to which he replied ‘and a good pub in each of them’ 

RIP my friend. 

I know his brother Sean reads this forum, and although I know he realises how much of a top man Tinners was, he will see the love a lot of others have for him even if they’ve only met him once or twice. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 3

Just remembered @Olé @Shtanley @petehinton, Tinners was once an exceptional guest on OSIB. I cannot for the life of me remember the episode, but I'd love to listen again in his memory. A few others might like to listen as well maybe?

Could you kindly post the link or episode number if you have it? 

Edit: found it!

Episode 87 "Double-Dipping Disappointment".

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6
  • Robin 1

This is so sad, what struck me about him was his relentless positivity, both for the club but also the experience of being a supporter.

I knew the face but having stopped going away years ago my major interaction with him was on Twitter where his views were as you would suspect, well thought through & always constructive.

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

9 hours ago, Olé said:

Any news on funeral date Rob?

• Robin 1

40 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just remembered @Olé @Shtanley @petehinton, Tinners was once an exceptional guest on OSIB. I cannot for the life of me remember the episode, but I'd love to listen again in his memory. A few others might like to listen as well maybe?

Edit: found it!

Episode 87 "Double-Dipping Disappointment".

Episode 87, thankful to the podcast for being able to hear his voice and sense of humour. Lovely last minute of him signing off sums up how he felt about our club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

39 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/one-stream-in-bristol/id1296647791?i=1000461565235

Here it is. Was the best osib ep before, and definitely is now! Hopefully those closer to him than I was will be able to find comfort in being able to dip into this and hear his voice whenever they need to. 

Only had the pleasure of meeting him a handful of times, namely at some random away game or in the concourse for a quick chat, can only echo what has been said above. Always so much more interested in how things were going in your life, than ever ‘troubling’ you by speaking about himself.

I never thought anyone would be interested to hear about the times I used to do circuit training with Glyn Riley as teen. How wrong I was. RIP mate ❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Robin 3

One of the best things about being a proper football fan is on away days you see the same familiar faces over the decades that make following your club feel like a 2nd family. In some cases a first family.

Tinners was one of those faces that when you saw him in some grim northern town, you immediately felt good because you were amongst family.

It’s sad when those longstanding familiar faces reduce over the years.

RIP

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

@ExiledAjax I remember the Blackburn game where we drank together in the Old Vic in Preston afterwards. As is his way with all the people he meets and engages along the way, once you'd gone your separate way he spoke with a genuine warmth about you as he does many people "what a smart guy he was".

I like him even more then! When a man of Martin's calibre likes you then you know you're doing something right.

That was my last City game before moving abroad 3 years ago. I was nervous about the move, and honestly Tinners (and yourself) had no need to take me under your wings for the day. But you did, and you both did so in good grace. Even cramming into the back of that taxi from The Vic to Ewood Park. One of my very favourite City games, and I suspect it always will be.

I'm back in the UK now, and look forward to toasting Martin's memory at a game some time soon.

• Robin 2