IGNORED

RIP Tinners

Olé

Can’t say I ‘knew’ Martin , recall passing conversation with him , or a nod across a bar or terrace , at many games over the years, especially back in the Div 4 and 3 days 

RIP Martin , from the warm comments it’s clear the World is a worse place without you

Keep the Red Flag Flying High

• Robin 1

RIP.

Can't say I knew him but I have seen him quite often at home and away games, never caused any trouble, always had people around him. Obviously City through and through which was the main thing, sad to hear he has passed. CTID

• Robin 1

Amazing to see the comments and tributes on this thread.  Tinners was one of kind and forged so many great friendships through City.   He loved the club and following home and away.  He will be sorely missed. 

As mentioned above, I know his brother Sean has seen this thread and its provided the family with some comfort during this hard time.  There will be plans to have a proper city send off at the start of next season to raise a pint to such a great man - and in true Tinners fashion share past stories.

RIP my mate.

• Like 10
  • Robin 3

Such sad news to hear this. 

One of the kindest people I’ve ever met, with an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things city. Always stopped to chat whenever you saw him, such a lovely bloke. 

Rest in peace Tinners, keep that red flag flying high 

• Robin 1

Truly shocked to hear the news about Martin. I had a text from him a fortnight ago when after exchanging news on City he wished me a happy summer and also expressed his good wishes to my son who had been ill. Typical Martin. I had no idea he was ill. Very proud man. I first met him on the train back to Paddington after an evening game at Ashton Gate. When we met up subsequently at other evening matches at the Gate he didn't trust me to keep up with him on the jog back to Temple Meads to catch the last train back to London and would disappear into the distance!

I had a call from Mike in Brighton just now. Martin, Mike, Ellie, another Martin and I travelled to Away matches together regularly for some years. The away experience was truly the best way to appreciate Martin's many qualities as others have already said. I also was touched by the way he would strike up conversations with passengers on any train in which he was travelling while simultaneously revealing his encyclopaedic knowledge of passing historic landmarks as well as his beloved Bristol City. There can't be many who knew more about City than him, as well as being aware of players, past and present, throughout the League. BCFC was his life. We were of similiar age and it was great for me to be able to talk about City players we had seen in a very bygone era including the great John Atyeo. Martin knew the lot of them. Like Atyeo, Martin was fiercely loyal to City and that included loyalty to the Lansdowns. He didn't take kindly to any criticisms. Couldn't stand people moaning about City. Like the truest of fans he was grateful to be able to support the Club he loved.

R.I.P my friend. My deepest condolences to the family.

SK.

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 10
  • Robin 7

What a fantastic thread in truly awful circumstances. A tremendous City fan, and a tremendous human being.

As others have said, his knowledge was immense and he’d often be the person I’d turn to if I had a query about any game, player or random fact - he’d know the lot.

Very sad loss to everyone who knew him ?

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

I’m another who never had the pleasure of knowing Martin, but recognise him from grounds and pubs the length and breadth of the country, and if I’m not mistaken in The Fleece a time or two. 

Rest In Peace fellow red. 

• Robin 1

Bit of shock to suddenly read this like many have said knew him but didn't know him, sat behind me in the Williams for numerous seasons and always took time if I bumped into him around the country, very knowledgeable. passionate and logical about his club, we always admired how he travelled from London for home midweek matches ...thank you Martin for saying hello its a poorer ground without you.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

4D249A64-D43E-41CD-A3F7-F1D91B023542.thumb.jpeg.0c32a1f106496eb70fa01f122180470c.jpeg

Martin and the FODBA outside the Orchard on Spike a couple of years ago. Great photo.

Oh, my word, stunned ! I saw the Ole posted picture, and didn't recognize him, but I thought I must know him ,he was at all the games I went to ( and back in the 80's and 90's used to hang around with the London lot), but just seeing THIS photo......of course I knew him, a great, lovely guy, so sad . RIP mate 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Like many of you, I met Martin through the London branch of the supporters club back in the halcyon days of the (old) first Division in late 70s.  Travelled on many trips with him and the likes of Brian Monument, Tony Harling (aka Easter Egg), Cliff Rhodes  and many others with fond memories.  For the next 40 years I bumped into Martin at all sorts of obscure grounds and divisions.  Chatted with him at AG only a couple of months ago and he was the same friendly and nice guy.  He was often critical of the current team (particularly during some of the dark days)  but he was a proper supporter.

We will miss him. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Like many of you, I met Martin through the London branch of the supporters club back in the halcyon days of the (old) first Division in late 70s.  Travelled on many trips with him and the likes of Brian Monument, Tony Harling (aka Easter Egg), Cliff Rhodes  and many others with fond memories.  For the next 40 years I bumped into Martin at all sorts of obscure grounds and divisions.  Chatted with him at AG only a couple of months ago and he was the same friendly and nice guy.  He was often critical of the current team (particularly during some of the dark days)  but he was a proper supporter.

We will miss him. 

Now there are some blasts from the past! 'Sheep' sadly passed long since, as one imagines did 'The King Of Haringshire' and the legendary Fraser Deans passed but last year. All bring smiles & fond City memories to the fore for their like will never, ever, be replicated. They just don't make them like that any more, as they won't 'Double Ex'.

• Robin 1

Rest in peace Tinners

He was the first City fan I met when travelling alone the first time to an away game and made me feel so welcome with his fascinating stories, universal knowledge of everything Bristol City and beyond. I told other city fans about this lovely bloke I’d met and they knew him, he had the same impact on everyone.

As others have said, he was always genuinely interested in everyone but himself - such a knowledgeable and personable man.

It always felt like he was looking out for everyone & even the most of frustrating away days was a good day out if you bumped into Tinners.

Raising a glass to a top city fan and a great bloke

• Like 7
  • Robin 2

Sorry to hear this. Didn’t know Tinners but from the picture - unless I’m very much mistaken - I recognise him from S21 and he was always very helpful in aiding my Dad (who has trouble walking) get down the aisle. I just showed this post to my Dad and he was quite shaken by the news as they had shared a chat. Thoughts with his family and friends. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

Thank you for posting this. We met Martin at the Orchard pub in Spike Island about 5-6 years ago. Luckily the Cottage was being refurbished. We soon got to know the brothers Martin and Sean and looked forward to seeing them before every game. Recently enjoyed a bit of a sing along after the game ( again at the Orchard) after the good win v Cardiff. Three small choirs joined to hammer out , Cardiff get battered………everywhere they goooooooo ! Enjoyed Martins stories and tales of tiny pubs up ‘t, north. A great bloke.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Such sad news. A real gent. 

There was a spell around 8/9 years ago where I was going to the gate on my own and I'd usually go into what's now the Rising Sun for a drink beforehand. Without knowing the man personally beforehand, Tinners would always come over and have a 5/10 minute chat as I propped up at a table somewhere. I was going through such a tough patch at the time and i'd go as far as saying that without those little chats, I wouldn't be sure that I'd have continued to take myself down to the football. 

RIP Tinners 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 4

Having been away this weekend. I arrived into Portugal on friday evening to find out the news of this. Safe to say it hit hard very quickly, Martin was like an uncle to myself. He showed me compassion, care and kindness at a very hard period in my life , on not one but two occasions of mental health issues. He would often share a beer and a chat with myself. In which he would tell me stories about shadow williams , the late 60's . His trips down from Filton as a youngster . How he had family back home on the other side of the Rhonda and how he had a soft spot for "the taffs" as he would refer to me personally jokingly. However he also would state that he really wanted Wales to qualify for a world cup which made me smile!

Memories such as visiting the midland pub in Derby ( the railway tavern) stopping off at a boozer in Beeston on two occasions. Visiting Hull on a friday night when we were already relegated followed by a random hunt for a "golden postbox" at 11 o clock at night will always be a personal favourite.

Every year we would try and get together in the off season in Covent Garden for a beer to just see how each other were doing and i knew that he was only ever one phone call or text away. 

I may seem like i'm rambling but for me personally. He was truly the best of all of us, a stalwart of our football club and a true privilege and honour to know him as close as i did and without exaggerating, I'm not sure i would've made it to the point in my life i have today without him playing a part. 

you'll always be loved Tinners. Thank you for touching my life in a positive way.

following City i genuinely feel will never be the same without you.

Gone too soon. x

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 3