IGNORED

What one rule change you would make in football?

kiwicolin

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I remember in the freight rover trophy or whatever it was called then . For one season they trialed any , player that mouthed off a free kick got moved up the pitch ten yards. It worked straight away , but the binned it. 

Talking of ideas trailed but ditched, what about a bugbear of mine - all in wrestling in the penalty area at free kicks and corners. Watching highlights of a recent City game it looked more like WWE than Championship football!

Referees were told to clamp down on this at the start of the season a few years back, but after seeing a load of free kicks and penalties given the idea seemed to die a death. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, East Londoner said:

Simplify the offside rule, if you’re ahead of the last defender you’re offside regardless of whether you’re interfering or not 

Wasn't it Bill Shankley that said, "If you're not interfering with play, then you shouldn't be on the pitch!"

?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Mine would be the throw ins . How many steps they take in throwing the ball back in. Never the correct place.  

After extensive research the powers that be concluded that Law 15 is pretty much obsolete, with most possessions not retained post the second touch. That's why Law 15 is no longer rigourously enforced.

Of course the Law that absolutely needs amending is the obstruction element of Law 12. In particular, players not in possession of the ball nor seeking to obtain possession, illegally allowing the ball to run out of play whilst obstructing an opponent. Without exception in such circumstance an opponent should be permitted to shred the Achilles tendons of any player illegally obtaining such advantage, or sever, at kneecap, an opponent's tendons or ligaments. If Officials won't enforce The Law, let competition thrive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Champions League for Champions of the League's only. Also makes Europa League more of a valuable competition to win for 2nd/3rd placed sides.

The World Cup needs to stay at 32 teams. In 2026 it's going to be 48 and imo it devalues the competition. Same as the Euros - Needs to return to 16 sides. 

The silly rule that an offside is only flagged until the player touches the ball. I am shocked it hasn't caused injuries. Also ball boys around the pitch all having a ball like they did back in the day, would make the game quicker and discourages time wasting

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

An equal spending cap to be issued across the leagues, wages also. 

£10m max spend for each team in the division (championship). Clubs decide whether that justifies signing one £10m player, or one £5m player and two £2.5m players etc.

Prem would be allocated £50m max spend per team, League one £2m max spend, and League Two £1m max spend etc. 

This would bring the financial side of the game back down to reality. Parachute payments are destroying the EFL. Whilst the Mbappe contract extension proves how ridiculous things have become. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd like to see a massive simplification of VAR.

A 3 person VAR review panel get to re-watch an incident a maximum of three times. If the panel unanimously agree a decision was wrong, it's a clear and obvious error and the decision is changed. If the review panel cannot agree after there replays, it is not clear and obvious and the referee's decision stands. 

Or just bin off VAR 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maximum player spending (wages and amortisation of transfer fees) in any year to be 200% of gate receipts for all teams.

Not fair! That would unduly favour the hugely supported clubs like Manchester Utd, Liverpool and Bristol Rovers. ?

Edited by Mike Hunt-Hertz
  • Haha 2

I'd definitely have the yellow card for hounding the ref unless you're the captain. Every decision now has 3-4 players surrounding the ref.

I would also like to see a ref can move a free kick forward for constant backchat because you can guarantee that if you win a free kick on the half way line and due to backchat it gets moved to the edge of penalty area that would stop it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Not fair! That would unduly favour the hugely supported clubs like Manchester Utd, Liverpool and Bristol Rovers. ?

It would only favour Rovers if they were allowed to include an imputed gate receipt for the tens of thousands locked out and standing in the car park for each game. ?

• Like 1

Red cards for those ‘good yellow cards, took one for the team’ 

The deliberate trips, shirt pull backs with no attempt to play the ball or try a legitimate tackle.

Also some ‘common sense’ to be applied to red card that are attempts to tackle just badly timed or win the ball and take the opponent out with the follow through.

Reckless or dangerous tackles still deserve red, but some red cards are a joke.

Edited by cider hoss rules
Typo
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Red cards for those ‘good yellow cards, took one for the team’ 

The deliberate trips, shirt pull backs with no attempt to play the ball or try a legitimate tackle.

Also some ‘common sense’ to be applied to red card that are attempts to tackle just badly timed or win the ball and take the opponent out with the follow through.

Reckless or dangerous tackles still deserve red, but some red cards are a joke.

In one sentence you say Some red cards are a joke

Yet in another you want red cards for pulling a shirt!!!!

The "10 yard" rule at free kicks.  It would be nice to see a ref actually take 10 meaningful paces after placing the ball, to show a reasonable guess at a proper 10 yards, rather than the seemingly disinterested 9 shambling shuffles. 

Otherwise give the ref a digital laser measure.  From the placing of the ball, make a member of the defending side stand on the exact 10 yard dot and the ref then walks to him before spraying the line.  If the defending player moves during the ref's approach, shine the ba5stard laser in his eyes!  

The current 10 yard amble absolutely boils my waters - but I am a grumpy old bugger anyway.

Edited by JackofromSanJavier
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Play off changes.  In the Championship:

Match 1: 5th (home) v 6th

Match 2:  4th (home) v winner of match 1

Final: 3rd (home) v winner of match 2

I'd go further and include teams from the higher league.  

So between Championship and League 1 you would have 2 up automatically with 2 relegated automatically. I'd then have 2 further places in the Championship up for grabs.  One off games only. 2 Play off finals.

Play off Final 1.  4th bottom Championship home to 3rd League 1. Winner promoted. Loser gets 2nd go in Play off Final 2 at Wembley. 

4 different teams compete to get to play off Final 2. 3rd bottom Championship,  4th , 5th & 6th league 1.

5th  L1 v 22nd champ

4th L1 v 6th L1

2 winners then play further game, winner goes to Wembley for play off Final 2.

Still 5 games in total but all one off.

On the whole I’m not a fan of constant tinkering with the rules. But I think one of the best things that’s been introduced in recent years is the white paint spray refs use to mark the spot for the free kick and the 10 yard (ish!) line.

I remember before they used it the endless time taken up stopping the player taking of from moving it forward and stopping the defending wall from shuffling forward. 

18 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Or just bin off VAR 

Nothing wrong with VAR in principle,  if it gets the correct decision.

The main problem is the way that it's operated in football. 

It seems to work OK in rugby, cricket and tennis.