IGNORED

What one rule change you would make in football?

kiwicolin

19 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

ref to stamp on diving players to make sure they are injured

2 friends decide to go on a hunting holiday to Canada.

One day they are in the forest when one of them is attacked by a bear. His mate had previously  noticed a phone nearby, so runs to it to call the forest rangers, When he gets through the ranger asks how he can help.

‘My mate’s  been attacked by a bear and I think he’s dead. What should I do?"

The ranger says “ the first thing is to make sure your friend is dead.

There’s a minutes silence and then the ranger hears a gunshot.

Another minute goes by and the guy is back on the phone. “Done that” he says, “what do I do next"

• Haha 4

Biggest one for me, especially in the football league is make the referees accountable for their in-game decisions. They get away with terrible refereeing time and time again and all that happens are apology letters from the FA without anything truly being done about it. Yet manager bemoaning said mistakes get heavily fined. 
I reckon if they aren’t going to improve the standard of refereeing, then each manager should get 2-3 decision challenges per game, whereby a video referee is called upon. If the challenger is correct, decision over ruled and they keep the challenge like in cricket.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, BLRed said:

Biggest one for me, especially in the football league is make the referees accountable for their in-game decisions. They get away with terrible refereeing time and time again and all that happens are apology letters from the FA without anything truly being done about it. Yet manager bemoaning said mistakes get heavily fined. 
I reckon if they aren’t going to improve the standard of refereeing, then each manager should get 2-3 decision challenges per game, whereby a video referee is called upon. If the challenger is correct, decision over ruled and they keep the challenge like in cricket.

Yep, take the decision away from the ref / Stockley Park, pass it back to managers / players / captain.

We will then see a bit of accountability from players re diving, holding, etc.  Managers won’t be happy losing a review to a cheating player.

Also if you see a ref constantly having his decisions reviewed and changed then the ref can see that he needs to improve his decision making.

There's some great ideas on here, particularly the yellow cards for hounding/swearing at the ref - works well in rugby (and you can question decisions, if you are captain - and ask nicely). Similarly, the egg chasers have a rule about moving the kick if someone mouths off - great idea.

VAR is in theory a good idea, but unlike rugby, cricket, etc. it isn't incorporated into the game. They make it part of the spectacle; do the same for football. Show what the VAR officials can see - every ground has a big screen now.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

There's some great ideas on here, particularly the yellow cards for hounding/swearing at the ref - works well in rugby (and you can question decisions, if you are captain - and ask nicely). Similarly, the egg chasers have a rule about moving the kick if someone mouths off - great idea.

VAR is in theory a good idea, but unlike rugby, cricket, etc. it isn't incorporated into the game. They make it part of the spectacle; do the same for football. Show what the VAR officials can see - every ground has a big screen now.

Works in rugby as the captains tend to be closer to the ref when the decision is made. Not the same in football. Depending where the incident takes place, we could have defenders and goal keepers having to run half the length of the field (or more) to speak nicely to the ref.

11 hours ago, BLRed said:

So who’s going to want to be a referee?  The fact is that referee’s are human (in all sports) and just like players, they make mistakes.  Would you make players accountable for every mistake they make?  Would you fine players for making mistakes? Obviously if a referee is shown to be consistently falling short of an agreed standard that would need to be dealt with, but, as in grassroots football, the decision of the officials needs to be taken as final. It’s part of the game, it’s part of life.  Referees making mistakes, like players and managers making mistakes, is just part of football.

On 21/05/2022 at 17:22, The Horse With No Name said:

You have to remember that any rule change has be applied to the game, right down to parks level and youth football. How would your suggestion work lower than say League 1 level, where there are no academies ?

No it doesn't. 

Premier League is going to have more subs than the Championship next season... 

Im not a fan of VAR and would scrap it, but if it is to remain I'd like the offside decisions to be relative to the distances involved.

For example, the attacking player may have half of his foot ahead of the defender, but the defender could be three paces to the left\right of the attacker, so that half a foot distance isn't making a difference to the attack as the defender would never be able to reach the attacker anyway.

45 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Rather than employing expensive nutrionists and dietitians, at half time the players can only rehydrate by means of a cup of tea and a segment of orange.

Anyone attempting to use one of those sports drinks isn't allowed out for the second half.

PG have just announced they have created an isotonic teabag!!!

1 hour ago, Laner said:

Works in rugby as the captains tend to be closer to the ref when the decision is made. Not the same in football. Depending where the incident takes place, we could have defenders and goal keepers having to run half the length of the field (or more) to speak nicely to the ref.

Not suggesting it would be the captain, per se, but the manner in which it's asked - one player, asking the ref - would be good to see

14 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Not suggesting it would be the captain, per se, but the manner in which it's asked - one player, asking the ref - would be good to see

This type of manner?

" Excuse me, Mr Referee sir. I wonder whether you'd be minded to reconsider the decision you've just made to penalise my team, and which puts us in a bit of a predicament?"

" So that's a flat no then? You *******, ******* cheating nobhead!"

• Haha 1

I get the sentiment for a lot of these suggestions but in practice I really don't think many of them are workable. The referee 'challenges' for example - great idea, but we already have VAR slowing games down. If we have referees being challenged at least 6 times a game (and probably more), the game would be even slower than it is now.

Similarly with agents being paid by players not clubs, I absolutely agree but we all know if any change was brought in, clubs would just pay their players the difference in order to cover the agent fee.

As annoying as it is when things go against you, I do worry about 'over'-refereeing. Part of the excitement of the game is the controversy, the randomness, that sort of thing. The minute you make every single decision perfect, you lose an entire element of the game. Can you imagine if Matty Taylor v Man Utd was challenged and we had to sit for 5 minutes deciding whether it was a goal or not? An entire moment taken away from you.

I get the reasoning, but it's not for me.

3 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

If you roll around the floor in apparent agony for more than 5 seconds then you are obviously seriously injured and should be compulsorily substituted. 

Alex Scott will suffer badly.

• Like 1

I'd like to see retrospective 3 match bans for clear diving i.e. no contact made at all.

Also not a rule as such but really liked when Lee Johnson wrote to all the clubs in our league saying we wouldn't kick the ball out if their players go down - that seemed to make a big difference to time-wasting.

On 21/05/2022 at 18:14, East Londoner said:

Simplify the offside rule, if you’re ahead of the last defender you’re offside regardless of whether you’re interfering or not 

Also, while theyr'e at it..............sort out the handball rule too?

17 hours ago, BLRed said:

Referees are promoted and demoted, or not retained on the basis of their decisions. This starts at level eight and goes through thirteen levels (there are 2a/2b etc).

No referee gets away with terrible refereeing time after time at any level. If you are poor you do not get retained, above level three you get demoted.  

The rule where an injured player has to leave the pitch if treated. This is especially annoying if the player has been injured by an opponent and a foul was committed, resulting in a free kick. The offending team get to keep their eleven players on the pitch, while the player fouled and injured has to leave the pitch, utterly stupid. Take the offending player off as well, until the injured player or substitute rejoins play.

THE one thing that gets on my tits more than anything else in the game is where a defending player, in his own half, especially if anywhere near his own penalty box and facing his own goal, is allowed to just drop to the ground and...  peep, free-kick regardless of whether there's been much "contact" or not. Really, really annoying.

Edited by AppyDAZE

A couple of people have mentioned it, and I’ve always been fascinated by the idea of completely scrapping offside. 

In theory it would open up more space on the pitch, but of course could utterly change the basic structure and tactics of the sport.

It works with 5 a side and ice hockey though, so I’d like to see an experiment.

Does anybody know when and why it was originally introduced? I know it was revised quite early on.

21 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not a ‘rule’ per say, but I wondered if in knockout games like playoffs, the teams should take the penalty shootouts BEFORE the game. 
it might make the open play more interesting - particularly the Extra Time period?

just thought I’d put it out there…….

Am I correct in thinking we lost a penalty shoot out at Walsall, to decide where the play off replay was to be held?

• Like 2