IGNORED

What one rule change you would make in football?

kiwicolin

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Am I correct in thinking we lost a penalty shoot out at Walsall, to decide where the play off replay was to be held?

Sounds right, I also recollect one away at Cambridge in the FA cup reply to decide where the second replay should be played........ you know, the one we lost 5-1!

• Like 2

On 26/05/2022 at 19:11, cider hoss rules said:

Sounds right, I also recollect one away at Cambridge in the FA cup reply to decide where the second replay should be played........ you know, the one we lost 5-1!

The Walsall one was but I think Cambridge was a coin toss. I remember waiting to hear what the result was before we got back on the coach thoroughly made up that we had to go back to Cambridge a week later!

• Like 1

Retrospective cards for diving.  Each professional game would automatically be retrospectively viewed by a qualified official with the ability to pause the camera shots and zoom in.  If you dive in the penalty area it's an automatic red.  This would be a routine part of the game, rather than the exception when a club complains loud enough. 

• Like 2

Some rather extreme suggestions on this thread! It seems some people want:

• No offside rule and 10+ goals per game
  • Yellow and red cards brandished for any and every infringement
  • 3 year bans and potential death penalty for diving

Personally, I rather like football as it is - no need for any major rule changes. I like the drama brought about by football being a low scoring game, and the huge value that each goal has as a result. I like the fact that players can "push boundaries" in trying to gain a competitive edge without being severely cautioned. I even quite like some of the dubious gamesmanship involved in trying to win a football match.

Were you to implement many of the changes suggested in this thread, I think you'd be in danger of losing a lot of the drama, character and competitiveness of football. 

• Like 1