IGNORED

Englands nations league squad to be announced

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

No Sancho or Henderson. To be honest neither played much during the Euros and we did well. 

Very interested to see how Bowen does for England. 

Henderson has been rested. No need for him in these games.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Rested? Or there's just better? If resting is the genuine reason I'm surprised he didn't do the same for Trent 

If it was a squad for a WC he would be in it. He knows what Henderson can do plus he's had a long season. Southgate has explained it.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

If it was a squad for a WC he would be in it. He knows what Henderson can do plus he's had a long season. Southgate has explained it.

Fair enough, I wonder which midfielder he'll drop for him at the WC. There's a lot of talent there. 

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Also I think people miss what Henderson brings. He will have played pretty much every game for Liverpool this season, but  (despite what soem people think) plays at a very high intensity and is often substituted as it is not possible to maintain that for 90 mins every week. It's his positional awareness that is so important and covering for players who have moved up the pitch - I would say he is vital to how Liverpool play. He is not an exciting player to watch, but the fact that he is an ever present for one of the best teams in the world shows the quality he has. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Also I think people miss what Henderson brings. He will have played pretty much every game for Liverpool this season, but  (despite what soem people think) plays at a very high intensity and is often substituted as it is not possible to maintain that for 90 mins every week. It's his positional awareness that is so important and covering for players who have moved up the pitch - I would say he is vital to how Liverpool play. He is not an exciting player to watch, but the fact that he is an ever present for one of the best teams in the world shows the quality he has. 

We're at a sweet point with England that also goes under the radar, players playing better/differently for country rather than club. Pickford and Shaw is an example of this. 

He may he doing the above for Liverpool but does he do that for England? Different teams with different styles. 

Edited by Sturny

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

We're at a sweet point with England that also goes under the radar, players playing better/differently for country rather than club. Pickford and Shaw is an example of this. 

He may he doing the above for Liverpool but does he do that for England? Different teams with different styles. 

I think thats fair, we're *England)  pretty compact shape wise and not very fluid on the ball, so there is less need for some to cover position, but having him in offers experience, the option to be more defensive by bringing him on, or to be more attacking by bringing him on - he will cover for players who push forward and drift/move out of position. There aren't that many players who can offer all that from the bench. 

I think the other thing with a world cup or Euros squad is that Henderson may bring things to the table off the pitch. Even if he does not start every game, having an experienced midfield cover who can also provide some leadership to a relatively young squad may have more value than simply his football contribution. 

I'm not necessarily sure that he'd be in the four or five midfielders I'd pick for a major tournament but - after Rice and Phillips (who has had a season of injury) and Bellingham, who surely merits inclusion - there is a collection of central midfielders who you could make a good case for for the last one or two places. I'd get why people would put Gallagher or Ward-Prowse ahead of Henderson but I'd also get why people would put Henderson ahead of Gallagher or Ward-Prowse. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the other thing with a world cup or Euros squad is that Henderson may bring things to the table off the pitch. Even if he does not start every game, having an experienced midfield cover who can also provide some leadership to a relatively young squad may have more value than simply his football contribution. 

I'm not necessarily sure that he'd be in the four or five midfielders I'd pick for a major tournament but - after Rice and Phillips (who has had a season of injury) and Bellingham, who surely merits inclusion - there is a collection of central midfielders who you could make a good case for for the last one or two places. I'd get why people would put Gallagher or Ward-Prowse ahead of Henderson but I'd also get why people would put Henderson ahead of Gallagher or Ward-Prowse. 

I would have liked to have seen James Maddison who has had such a good season with Leicester (18 goals and 12 assists) included. He must be wondering what he has to do to get in the squad. .

Edited by E.G.Red

2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I would have liked to have seen James Maddison who has had such a good season with Leicester (18 goals and 12 assists) included. He must be wondering what he has to do to get in the squad. .

I see Maddison as more of an attacking midfielder - I reckon he isn’t competing for a place against Phillips, Rice, Henderson, Bellingham, Gallagher and Ward-Prowse but rather against Foden, Saka, Bowen, Sterling, Mount and Grealish plus players like Smith-Rowe, Rashford and Sancho.

Again, on form, Maddison is unlucky not to be included but, of the six of those players included, I feel Grealish is the only one who doesn’t have a strong case for their own form.

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Am I the only one who doesn't know what Nations League(?) is, how it works or what it does ? I get the World Cup and Euros, but what is this, and does it matter ?

Seperate competition, groups of 4 with a promotion and relegation for the next tournament. Winners going into a semi final and final. I think there’s also some second chance World Cup qualification.

Its a bit confusing but Wikipedia will explain.

Weve got 4 games coming up in June and 2 in September, in a group of Italy, Hungary and Germany

• Thanks 1