IGNORED

14 years ago today….

Wanderingred

34 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Of course if we hadn't lost at Stoke a few weeks before (switching off at a throw in) we would have gone up in automatic instead of them.

We lost silly games towards the end of that season that cost us big time... Red stripe teams southampton sheff utd stoke... Looked like we'd been on the red stripe.... 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Huge disappointment especially after beating Palace and City couldn’t manage a single shot on goal…….…..….:facepalm: 

We should have expected it as it was a typical Johnson performance that we’d seen all season - defensive,no flair or attacking intent dull and turgid.

We got what we deserved - nothing.

I thought you were describing the Brighton playoff final under your favourite Danny Wilson.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

We lost silly games towards the end of that season that cost us big time... Red stripe teams southampton sheff utd stoke... Looked like we'd been on the red stripe.... 

Not forgetting losing to Plymouth and Cardiff too

I thought we played pretty well, there was nothing in the game & other than the goal neither side really looked like scoring.  Had McCombe not been ill & Orr not crocked, I think we may well have won.

I didn't expect much that season so wasn't that disappointed. The loss to Brighton at the Millennium Stadium was much worse. Thay ranks with 2nd May 1990 as the worse City experience.  It was as if no one had told City it was a big game, we were just so flat & in truth BHA were no better.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

I’ve never been able to watch the highlights of that game. And had a fair few beers pre match so the game itself is a bit of a blur. Best it stays that way I think!

Exactly the same as me, I always watch any highlights or games back regardless of the results but I have never watched a second of this match back since 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I didn't expect much that season so wasn't that disappointed. The loss to Brighton at the Millennium Stadium was much worse. Thay ranks with 2nd May 1990 as the worse City experience.  It was as if no one had told City it was a big game, we were just so flat & in truth BHA were no better.

Pretty much how I was left feeling. It was gutting but at the same time felt proud of that team. The Brighton defeat was a shocker and their fans were not as classy as Hull's fans that day. Easily my worst day as a City fan, we just didn't turn up, gutting.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

I am of the opposite opinion in that had we gone up we would of ended up messing it up and buying players that were not up to it on high wages which we would then had trouble shifting after the inevitable Relegation.

That's your opinion, only pure conjecture, nobody knows what might have happened and even one season up there would have been better than the 14 years and still waiting we have all endured since, and some of us have got less time left than others in which to see us finally play again in the top flight. 

• Like 3

I had a university exam at 9am that day, bloody bizarre for a Saturday morning. Skipped through the questions as fast as I could. One hour before the scheduled end time I faked an illness to get out of the exam hall to my mate waiting in his car to drive me to the last train that would get me to Wembley on time.

Sprinted through Paddington and onto the tube, made it just at kick off so missed the build up. City were the better team but at no point looked like scoring. My overriding memory of the day is that the Hull fans didn't seem all that overjoyed about winning? Maybe I would have shared the same emotion knowing we were not set up for PL football in any way.

The train back to Exeter was fun, mainly City fans and a few quiet Hull fans keeping themselves to themselves.

Got my best ever result on that exam too, must have been the adrenaline

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Huge disappointment especially after beating Palace and City couldn’t manage a single shot on goal…….…..….:facepalm: 

We should have expected it as it was a typical Johnson performance that we’d seen all season - defensive,no flair or attacking intent dull and turgid.

We got what we deserved - nothing.

You say it was a typical Johnson performance in the Final?...........yet in the same sentence mention the excellent, ambitious semi- final win over Palace, you cannot have it both ways?  We froze a bit in the Final, and IMHO had no luck on the day.  One great shot was the difference..............Hull were nothing special, neither were we, on the day it could have gone either way.   Yes how well I remember, us getting so TURGIDLY into the play offs, against all expectations?    And GJ  still remains, to this day, the ONLY City manager to achieve a Championship Play Off Final?.................FFS....Get over yourself?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

I remember a few weeks before the end of the season hoping that, were we not to get automatic promotion, then Cystal Palace beat Hull in their penultimate (last but two?) game, on the basis that we stood more chance of beating Hull over two legs than Palace.

I watched both semi final games in a bar over here in the company of a Palace Associate Director, and it was surprisingly good natured - he even shook my hand at the end.

Come the final, I was quietly confident when I took the Eurostar across to St. Pancras, and enjoyed a friendly few drinks in a pub not far from Wembley, with a mix of high-spirited and good-natured (mainly) Hull and City fans.

Disappointingly, when I returned to the same pub for a last pint before returning to Paris after the game, there was not a City fan to be seen, although the Hull fans remained friendly and refreshingly humble.

It was quite a lonely trip back to Paris.   

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

You say it was a typical Johnson performance in the Final?...........yet in the same sentence mention the excellent, ambitious semi- final win over Palace, you cannot have it both ways?  We froze a bit in the Final, and IMHO had no luck on the day.  One great shot was the difference..............Hull were nothing special, neither were we, on the day it could have gone either way.  

Those semi-final games against Palace when GJ lost his play book the team produced two top performances were the only time City played some exciting football that season. - the problem was that GJ found his play book again and reverted to type in the final - dull, pedestrian and turgid.

I’m sooo glad that we have a proper manager in charge at last.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No need - I was there.

So you don't agree there were shots on target but not prepared to watch the 'evidence' that will prove there were multiple.

Just admit you were wrong or trolling as per usual.

19 minutes ago, TomF said:

The opening 2-2 thriller v QPR

The 2-1 win v Scunthorpe where Trundle scored two worldies

The 3-0 away stuffing of Coventry to go top of the league.

Absolutely belting 1-1 home draw against WBA when they were the best side in the league.

2-0 home win v Sheffield United

3-1 away win at Norwich

Southampton at Home & Sproules wonder goal

The 3-2 v Barnsley

The 2-1 home win v Hull with McCombes overhead

2-1 v Norwich with Brookers last gasp win.

3-0 against PNE

In my 30+ years of watching City its one of the most exciting seasons I can remember.  Other than the Cotts years nothing compares to it. 

Of course floundering in L1 playing tippy tappy football, finishing outside of the play offs with the biggest budget in the league and seeing players on the piss every night of the week of the week was far far far better that anything this side of Alan Dick's side thou. No contest. 

But apart from all of those you’ve listed, there were no exciting games at home that season!

18 minutes ago, TomF said:

The opening 2-2 thriller v QPR

The 2-1 win v Scunthorpe where Trundle scored two worldies

The 3-0 away stuffing of Coventry to go top of the league.

Absolutely belting 1-1 home draw against WBA when they were the best side in the league.

2-0 home win v Sheffield United

3-1 away win at Norwich

Southampton at Home & Sproules wonder goal

The 3-2 v Barnsley

The 2-1 home win v Hull with McCombes overhead

2-1 v Norwich with Brookers last gasp win.

3-0 against PNE

That’s only one I remember. 

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

Felt the whole game hinged on Orr's injury.

Mrs Downend bursts into tears at the thought of being stuck in a hotel with me for a week-end!

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It was Orr's injury that cost us the game, and gave them the goal (in a way).

There's a very good OSIB interview wirh Bradley Orr where he talks about it.

At the time the goal went in he was badly injured and should have been subbed already.

If you watch the goal back (painful I know), you can see him try and block it and uninjured he probably would have but he was seeing treble at the time and tried to head the wrong ball! Probably just as well, as the doctors told him afterwards that, had he made contact, it may well have killed him.

I quite agree, it's always the Windass goal that gets mentioned, understandably, about that game. But it was the Orr injury that was the pivotal moment. Prior to his injury City were on top in the opening stages. Then when the injury occurred, Johnson didn't, as he should've, sub him straight away. In fact, he was off the pitch getting patched up for several minutes, leaving us a player short. It was then, against ten men, that Hull then gained the ascendancy for the first time especially Barmby getting more of the ball.

When Orr returned he wasn't right and during the few minutes he was back on, the goal was scored, before he was then subbed. It was an odd policy of Johnson's that season, to patch up injured key players and get them back onto the pitch rather than sub them straight away, even if it meant leaving us a player short for ten minutes or so! I don't know how long Orr was off the pitch on this occasion as haven't watched the game since, but it was several minutes and I recall a few weeks earlier when Adebola was injured away to Charlton, City played for about a dozen minutes a man less until Adebola returned to play. 

In both instances it handed the initiative to our opponents when City had been on top in the games. In both cases City hadn't used their full compliment of substitutes. Obviously, the Orr injury was fairly early doors so no subs had been used.

I have frequently wondered what would've happened had Orr simply been substituted straight away as it was obviously a bad injury. Instead of then handing Hull the initiative by playing them with ten men for a prolonged period. I am not saying this with the benefit of hindsight as I was cussing about it when it happened. 

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Those semi-final games against Palace when GJ lost his play book the team produced two top performances were the only time City played some exciting football that season. - the problem was that GJ found his play book again and reverted to type in the final - dull, pedestrian and turgid.

Commas.........are useful?...............When Pearson emulates GJ, and we get to another play off Final, then we will have a proper manager?   Until we achieve that, for me, the jury is still out.   

My memory of the day was walking out after the match and thinking 'was that it?'

There was an almost sense of disbelief. Not that I believed we were entitled to promotion, but more that was final, no second chances, no return leg to claw it back. THAT WAS IT!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Exciting or not GJ produced results on the pitch that season - getting us closer to the Premier league than any other City manager in living memory.

13 minutes ago, bris red said:

Exciting or not GJ produced results on the pitch that season - getting us closer to the Premier league than any other City manager in living memory.

That’s very true but what the history books don’t say is how he got us that far and that’s always been my beef - positive results v attractive football.

Hopefully Nige will produce both in the next two seasons.

• Hmmm 1

It may not have been mid summer but it was the longest day for me.

Left home in Southern France just before midnight on Friday and drove the couple hours to Girona Airport in Spain. All local airports had full flights of Toulouse fans going to the European final.

A couple hours sleep in my van and on to the 6 o’clock flight to Stansted. Although allowed into my hotel room early I was way too excited to get a couple hours Kip, so straight to the pub.

I managed to get a train to Wembley that somehow was packed full of Hull fans and I have to say despite a bit of banter they were incredibly friendly and played down their chances.

Me and my mate were also sat with a few Hull fans in club Wembley, the only tickets I could get as I was living abroad. They were also humble and well mannered.

I must admit when the final whistle went it all caught up with me, I was shattered and drowning my sorrows probably wasn’t the wisest decisions. I don’t remember much else until my flight back the next day.