IGNORED

T20 Blast 2022 season

Lanterne Rouge

47 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

For all the hype over Banton for me Smeed looks far more the superstar.  

He’s consistently good. And to think he nearly didn't pursue being a pro cricketer

44 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Sorry if I have missed something, but is there a link between your two posts?

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thank Goodness.

I had no idea when this was filmed, but was looking closely at all the young men involved to see whether I could recognise WS ?.  

:laugh:

Nah I believe Will was seriously considering something like a finance job just before he had his break is all

20 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

:laugh:

Nah I believe Will was seriously considering something like a finance job just before he had his break is all

I wouldn't be surprised.

Millfield Prep, then Kings College Taunton; A* in Maths, Physics etc. and, apparently, currently studying for an Open University (Maths/Economics) degree.

Obviously a bright, well-educated young man, and destined for a good career (after he has finished with Somerset ?).

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

On 03/06/2022 at 15:33, Lanterne Rouge said:

With everything that`s been going on we seem to have missed the news that Jim Parks passed away last week aged 90 following a fall at his home. I think I may have just caught the tail end of his three years at Somerset and at the time of his death he was the oldest surviving England test player.

RIP Jim.

I missed that.

Very sad, as it always is, but I saw this amazing post on the Grockles site earlier.

At his death he was England's oldest surviving Test Cricketer. That claim now falls to Raman Subba Row who was 100 days younger than Parks.

I found that astonishing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, northsomersetred said:

2 batters retiring themselves out in the T20 today for 'tactical reasons'

Samit Patel and Carlos Braithwaite

Reason i've read for Patel was so a batsman not as 'rotund' as him could come in for the last ball to try and get the 3 needed.

Probably same sort of reason for Braithwaite but haven't read anything yet

The Brathwaite one was because Notts brought on a leg spinner in the final over of the innings (shortened due to rain) and he has a poor average and strike rate against that type of bowler. As it transpired, the guy who replaced him didn't face a ball, but they still took 18 runs off the over.

Edited by Northern Red

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Sounds a bit naughty to me. Surely retiring should only be for a genuine injury. 

I've seen teams do it in friendly/warmup type matches when the batsman has already got a big score and they want to give others a go, but yeah in a competitive game like that it isn't the done thing.

Ashwin did it in the IPL this year which caused a bit of fuss, and Brathwaite was quoted afterwards as saying it was something he thought teams should look to exploit more.

37 minutes ago, TomF said:

Sounds a bit naughty to me. Surely retiring should only be for a genuine injury. 

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I've seen teams do it in friendly/warmup type matches when the batsman has already got a big score and they want to give others a go, but yeah in a competitive game like that it isn't the done thing.

Ashwin did it in the IPL this year which caused a bit of fuss, and Brathwaite was quoted afterwards as saying it was something he thought teams should look to exploit more.

It's within the laws/regulations for the T20, but is it within the spirit of the game?

A lot of junior age cricket players retire at 30 or 50 and can only take 3 or 5 wickets and they have to stop bowling