IGNORED

we are early season relegation candidates

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

We've regularly been put in the relegation frame by bookies, for as long as I can remember. If not, not fancied for promotion. It's how the rest of the football world sees us as well.

Yes. This^

I personally don’t think we will be in any relegation trouble. However until clubs start trading in earnest a bookmakers price is a bit of a joke. 

City appear to have three maybe four players who are attracting attention but we also have U23 side that made a final. 

A long long way to go before the season even starts. 

• Like 2

Sunderland as much as 6/1 to go down? Up through the play offs after 4 seasons down in L1? They were decent last season...but is there really any evidence to support a feeling that they'll be the best of the promoted side.

That's probably the only odds I've seen on this thread that are half way worth a quid.

It will be good when everyone realises that 'Book-making' is a business.  They generate profits by manipulating managing the odds to ensure that they get lots of losing bets.  Provided they generate a net return on any market, they don't care.  And by any market, I mean the Championship promotion and relegation results as one market.

20 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

We're actually second favourites for relegation...

Screenshot_20220526-102749-453.png

You mean second favourites for relegation, by alphabetical order? 

We're actually joint 2nd favourites with 2 other teams.

They'll be based on bets taken, just means that nobody has lumped anything on anyone really yet. To be fair we've been crap for the past 2-3 seasons, so that's why we've been put down there currently. Beginning of the season it will all change. 

17 hours ago, bs3 said:

I’m sticking £500 for us to go down , easy money, there is no way we are staying up without investment in the squad. 

I stuck £500 into supporting the team whatever. And best bit, that £500 goes to the club for my season ticket next season, not to a corporate bookie for a silly bet.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

On 26/05/2022 at 06:38, robin for life said:

Watford - 7/1

Norwich City - 8/1

West Brom - 9/1

Sheffield United - 10/1

Sunderland - 20/1

Luton Town - 25/1

Bristol City - 40/1

Have a bet on all of them at all those prices, 20%, 20%, 15%, 15%, 10%, 10%, 10%, pretty much nailed on to deliver a profit to bank imo.

Surprised the top line of the market is so high, 7/1 the field looks rather big to me. 

What happens when Middlesbrough win it then?

50 minutes ago, Taz said:

You mean second favourites for relegation, by alphabetical order? 

We're actually joint 2nd favourites with 2 other teams.

They'll be based on bets taken, just means that nobody has lumped anything on anyone really yet. To be fair we've been crap for the past 2-3 seasons, so that's why we've been put down there currently. Beginning of the season it will all change. 

There are maybe 7 teams who should be longer odds than us. Rotherham, Brum, Cardiff, Reading, Sunderland,  Wigan, Hull. However some of those are 'big' teams so more likely to attract mug bets hence Odds are shorter than they should be

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

There are maybe 7 teams who should be longer odds than us. Rotherham, Brum, Cardiff, Reading, Sunderland,  Wigan, Hull. However some of those are 'big' teams so more likely to attract mug bets hence Odds are shorter than they should be

Sunderland and Hull should not be bigger prices than us. They have a lot more money to spend and are more attractive a club to sign for. They have been in the top flight and have owners willing to back them, Sunderland could very easily go straight up again with the sort of player they will attract. Hull will be a much bigger force to be reckoned with next season than they were this season.

I agree we will have a better chance than Rotherham, Cardiff, Reading & Wigan, but we are no better and no worse than Birmingham and it is still more attractive a club than ours, sadly. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Sunderland as much as 6/1 to go down? Up through the play offs after 4 seasons down in L1? They were decent last season...but is there really any evidence to support a feeling that they'll be the best of the promoted side.

That's probably the only odds I've seen on this thread that are half way worth a quid.

They have let go a lot of players to make way for new blood. Like it or not, if we are in for a player and so are Sunderland, the player will opt for Sunderland who can and will pay higher wages. I expect Sunderland will make some good signings and get in some quality on loan. 

It's all well and good saying these clubs who were big clubs have taken time to get back out of League One, but League One now is a minefield. I actually fear if we went down, it would be a long time coming before we get back up again with the quality that's in there now, compared to when we were last there. As bigger teams like Blackpool have shown, when they get back into the Championship they will compete again. 

Our priority should always be staying up and over time develop a team to improve, as right now, relegation would be a nightmare, as we would struggle to get back out that league the way it is currently. 

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, robin for life said:

They have let go a lot of players to make way for new blood. Like it or not, if we are in for a player and so are Sunderland, the player will opt for Sunderland who can and will pay higher wages. I expect Sunderland will make some good signings and get in some quality on loan. 

It's all well and good saying these clubs who were big clubs have taken time to get back out of League One, but League One now is a minefield. I actually fear if we went down, it would be a long time coming before we get back up again with the quality that's in there now, compared to when we were last there. As bigger teams like Blackpool have shown, when they get back into the Championship they will compete again. 

Our priority should always be staying up and over time develop a team to improve, as right now, relegation would be a nightmare, as we would struggle to get back out that league the way it is currently. 

Sunderland may well be about to refresh their squad, but there's no guarantee that brings success. Football history is littered with teams that get promoted, renew their squad, and fail. Based on the information available today, I think they're one of the weaker teams.

As for us, I'm as certain as it is possible to be that we won't be relegated.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

The only certainty is that Bristol City will have a relegation fight next season. Bristol is such a backwater for football that very few decent players want to come here.

Yeah right, they'll go to the likes of Luton, Millwall, Preston, Blackpool on half the money and half the crowds will they

• Like 5

Odds reflect nothing more than betting patterns and the liabilities of the turf accountant on that particular book. If somebody lumped £10k on us to get promoted at William Hill and another £2k bet was received with Sky Bet we wouldn’t be 40/1 with them then and you can guarantee that other bookies would also adjust their odds. If you compare current odds with final league position next season over half of the teams will finish in the “wrong” position particularly in the Championship which we all know is a lottery behind a couple of newly relegated teams benefiting from parachute payments. Luton are just as likely to be scrapping relegation next season as they are having another play off push - just one example.

If the betting dictated it there could be a scenario where a team are favourites to win the league and get relegated!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 09:39, Tin Soldier said:

The only certainty is that Bristol City will have a relegation fight next season. Bristol is such a backwater for football that very few decent players want to come here.

Yea we'd never see the likes of Tammy Abraham grace ashton gate

• Flames 1

Is it possible to create a sub-forum for the constant moaners to attend instead. It's becoming exhausting reading the constant negativity. 

The season hasn't even started, we've made two good signings early in the window, one of which was POTY at a play-off side, and people are quick to deem us as doomed for relegation. 

Have some hope, we are all supposed to support our club and be optimistic about the future.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 27/05/2022 at 09:39, Tin Soldier said:

We didn’t even have a relegation fight this season, and have begun to improve.

A lot depends on who leaves and arrives, but I’m anticipating a modest improvement to mid table (by which I mean the middle eight - 9th to 16th).

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Leveller said:

We didn’t even have a relegation fight this season, and have begun to improve.

A lot depends on who leaves and arrives, but I’m anticipating a modest improvement to mid table (by which I mean the middle eight - 9th to 16th).

Agreed, and if we can achieve that modest improvement by conceding far fewer goals while scoring 60+ again I'll be more than happy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed, and if we can achieve that modest improvement by conceding far fewer goals while scoring 60+ again I'll be more than happy.

Me too & blindingly obvious that NP also sees it that way as well.

If we add a RB to the Naismith signing, either Klose renews or we replace him with someone of the same quality at CB, add a good defensive midfielder, suddenly we look a different proposition.