IGNORED

Semenyo - congratulations

Bristolisredd

Well done Semenyo. 

This make me wonder if this could effect his price. No English player tax and all that when a prem team comes knocking, unless he's always claimed Ghana nationality? Or on the other side this could increase it because he's now an international player. Just a thought really. 

Either way this is great for City and Semenyo. If we keep hold of him I think he's in for a big season. 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Really hope he is still in a Bristol City shirt come the next season. 

Congratulations AS 

Might not be in January.

The World Cup taking place Nov-Dec is the perfect shop window.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Sturny said:

Well done Semenyo. 

This make me wonder if this could effect his price. No English player tax and all that when a prem team comes knocking. Or on the other side this could increase it because he's now an international player. Just a thought really. 

Either way this is great for City and Semenyo. If we keep hold of him I think he's in for a big season. 

He’s born in London, so will always class as home grown for squad rules, regardless of international call-up / appearances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TBW said:

Might not be in January.

I’m with you there.  Not sure you’d risk a WC place by heading off to the PL now and not getting minutes….but January, well, that’s completely different.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, TBW said:

Might not be in January.

The one positive that may come from Qatar that.  January transfer windows are notoriously hard to buy in, but can be a gold mine for selling players when compared to the summer window.  A good showing in the World Cup with the January window appearing right on its heels could be the perfect storm for us in terms of maximising the selling price if we were to sell.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

The one positive that may come from Qatar that.  January transfer windows are notoriously hard to buy in, but can be a gold mine for selling players when compared to the summer window.  A good showing in the World Cup with the January window appearing right on its heels could be the perfect storm for us in terms of maximising the selling price if we were to sell.

Ghana have a very tough group with Uruguay, South Korea, and Portugal. Suggests to me that they will play 3 matches and then head home. Semenyo is going to need to play well for his club in the autumn, be selected for their final 23 man squad, actually get onto a Qatari pitch (he's unlikely to be first choice I believe), and then play well as a striker in 3 games his team will more than likely lose.

I'm not saying it cannot happen, of course it can happen, but there's quite a bit that needs to fall in place over the next 7 months if the World Cup is seriously going to influence his price in January. As you say - a perfect storm is needed.

I still look at historic transfers from the Champ. £20m+ is very, very rare, so anyone expecting anything near or above that has to implicitly be expecting a ruly sensational start to the 22/23 season. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ghana have a very tough group with Uruguay, South Korea, and Portugal. Suggests to me that they will play 3 matches and then head home. Semenyo is going to need to play well for his club in the autumn, be selected for their final 23 man squad, actually get onto a Qatari pitch (he's unlikely to be first choice I believe), and then play well as a striker in 3 games his team will more than likely lose.

I'm not saying it cannot happen, of course it can happen, but there's quite a bit that needs to fall in place over the next 7 months if the World Cup is seriously going to influence his price in January. As you say - a perfect storm is needed.

I still look at historic transfers from the Champ. £20m+ is very, very rare, so anyone expecting anything near or above that has to implicitly be expecting a ruly sensational start to the 22/23 season. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

People do often declare what they think a player is worth but as you suggest it is really a case of what the market will bear, which tends to be rather lower. Especially if prices are depressed post pandemic, which may well be the case.

52 minutes ago, chinapig said:

People do often declare what they think a player is worth but as you suggest it is really a case of what the market will bear, which tends to be rather lower. Especially if prices are depressed post pandemic, which may well be the case.

I look at Eze from QPR to Palace in the summer of 2020 as the most recent and closest example of the type of player and the types of club involved. Sky described Eze at that time as "...a devastating ball-carrier, possessing a glide with the ball that only a unique talent can boast. This season he has added work-rate and tactical awareness to his game without the ball, which has triggered significant interest from the Premier League." I think a few on here would read that as a description of Antoine if they didn't know better. I think (but am happy to be corrected) that Eze's transfer can be seen as the best recent precedent for a Semenyo PL sale. Sky reported his price at the time as a five year deal with QPR receiving £16m with up to £4m of add-ons. Transfermarkt record it as £16.02m. Eze was 22, and had just come off the back of scoring 14 goals plus getting 8 assists in just over 4,000 league minutes. Semenyo is 22, and has just scored 8 with 12 assists in just over 2,100 minutes for a club that finished 17th. It is a pretty comparable return, age, profile etc.

On that basis and given the different market outlook I think it is very hard to expect anything near £20m for Semenyo. I think you're closer to a top price of about £10-12m upfront with £2-3m in add-ons. I'm not sure an international cap or even a stellar turn in Qatar would jack that up more than 10% or so.

I might be very, very wrong, but I believe this is a logical approach to the situation.

I also realise I've drifted from the point of this thread. Congrats to the lad on the call up, I hope he does himself proud in the upcoming games.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Tbh I think and hope he will stay with us till at least the World Cup is over, he’ll want to be playing as much first team games as possible to get his place on the plane, by moving to a bigger club he may not get as many games 

Edited by alexukhc

• Admin
1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Tbh I think and hope he will stay with us till at least the World Cup is over, he’ll want to be playing as much first team games as possible to get his place on the plane, by moving to a bigger club he may not get as many games 

I agree, he wont be risking not getting in a world cup squad.

He'll be staying with us, which will help all parties - potentially add ££ to his value and puts him in the shop window

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Some interesting clubs represented 

20220526_150829.jpg

Just looked up their strikers bar Ayew as I'd never heard of them.

A few younger players including Antoine but no reason he can't hold down a place amongst that lot.

I think he'll do well for them.

On 26/05/2022 at 16:17, Gazred said:

Just looked up their strikers bar Ayew as I'd never heard of them.

A few younger players including Antoine but no reason he can't hold down a place amongst that lot.

I think he'll do well for them.

Gyan of A S Roma is well known?

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Gyan of A S Roma is well known?

I do follow as much as i can across Europe and more. I'm sure i've read his name this season but i did have to look him up. Looks like a breakthrough season for him at Roma.