IGNORED

Kal Naismith Signed (Official)

Lew-T

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Winger CBs are a rare breed indeed!

In my young days (1950's). Portsmouth who had won the First Division in 1949 and 1950, had a player, Jack Frogatt, and around 1954, moved to Leicester City. He played at Centre Half {Centre Back) and Outside Left (winger) for both Club and Country. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All the mickey taking about Luton. They have been in FA Cup final and won the League Cup and played in the top tier since 1945 for a lot longer than we have. Poor stadium, not too many fans but still more success than BCFC in the last 75 years than us. We haven't been out of the league but only a couple of League Cup Semi Finals and four years in Division One. If we want to gloat, pick on a club like Rochdale or BRFC! 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Do Luton fans actually think they're a bigger club? 

A couple of good years at this level and suddenly think they're the dogs bollox

Historically and in respect to major domestic honours then yes they are. They had a very tidy team in the 80s on the plastic pitch at kenilworth road.

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

All the mickey taking about Luton. They have been in FA Cup final and won the League Cup and played in the top tier since 1945 for a lot longer than we have. Poor stadium, not too many fans but still more success than BCFC in the last 75 years than us. We haven't been out of the league but only a couple of League Cup Semi Finals and four years in Division One. If we want to gloat, pick on a club like Rochdale or BRFC! 

You're right, of course

But Kal Naismith wouldn't have a clue if Luton got to the 1959 FA cup final or not. Wouldn't have a clue who Ricky Hill is nor Brian Stein nor David Moss nor Steve bloody Foster nor Mal McDonagh.

Or even the convicted kerb crawler David Pleat.

In short, Luton Town mean shit to Kal Naismith - when offered better terms by Bristol City.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Historically and in respect to major domestic honours then yes they are. They had a very tidy team in the 80s on the plastic pitch at kenilworth road.

Give me a break. They were playing non-league football as recently as 2014 and spent the entirety of the last decade in either the conference or the basement. 

We are living in 2022 not the 1980s and I don’t see how anyone can think Luton town with their dilapidated old facilities and poor league positions over the last 10-15 years (bar last years fluke) are a bigger football club than us.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 4
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Kal 

Bristol City have got a beautiful new training ground, you will be playing in front of 20,000 week in week out, oh and they are offering to double your wages

Nah mate Luton won the Carabao in the 1980's I'm staying

think it was called the rumbelows back then ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Give me a break. They were playing non-league football as recently as 2014 and spent the entirety of the last decade in either the conference or the basement. 

We are living in 2022 not the 1980s and I don’t see how anyone can think Luton town with their dilapidated old facilities and poor league positions over the last 10-15 years (bar last years fluke) are a bigger football club than us.

As far as achievments go taking into account the last 40 years yes, in, reality Luton town will never be able to be considered a bigger club than us ever. Which makes the fact that clubs like them and there have been plenty since we dropped out of the top flight all the more frustrating.

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If you read the internet I would suggest there is a lot more stuff from Luton dans incredulous that Naismith could take such a backward step and join us.

A Luton fan on Twitter asked yesterday, responding to one of ours pointing out our average attendance and thinking he’d got one over Bristol City, “have you ever taken 40k to Wembley though?”……….”Twice” was the reply, “oh, fair play, didn’t realise that”. It’s not really us doing the Willy waving tbf.

One good season and they think they are West Brom or something.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Milk acup I think 

Pedants’ corner: Littlewoods both the season they won and the following season when they were runners up to Forest. With a bit more “Mardon the youngster” success following us down to the 2nd leg and the mud bath at the Gate, our histories would be entwined enough for current debates to be resolved with a simple “yeah, but we’ll always have Wembley 89”. 

Have been to Kenilworth Road a few times since living away from Bristol and enjoy the atmosphere and (very) asymmetric stadium - much better than more modern bowls.

17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Think you’ll find it’s 9 years in the first division . However, you’re right they have a richer history than us but as things stand currently , we are a bigger attraction than them 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

This tends to happen quite a bit with teams in and around London, no matter how small they are. There is an excess of top class footballers looking for a team and pay packet, without having to move home. Stands to reason that the smaller clubs in and around London pick up those excess players and actually perform above what would be their their natural status, based on attendances and local population. Given Luton and also QPR both had an unfair advantage by allowing a plastic pitch, which most probably assisted them in being more successful than they would otherwise have been, during the 70's and 80's, their most recent successful period, since which time they've spent in the 3rd 4th and 5th tiers of English football. 

Purely hypothetical I know but, if we were that bit closer to the capital, I'm pretty confident we'd have surpassed the likes of Fulham, Palace, QPR, let alone those on the periphery like Watford and Reading.

There is however one success Luton have had over us, which I don't think we could ever come near. That is, the most goals scored against one team in a football league match. Stand up and take a bow MR Joe Payne, for scoring 10 goals against Bristol Rovers in 1936. Luton Town and Joe Payne I salute you.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

This tends to happen quite a bit with teams in and around London, no matter how small they are. There is an excess of top class footballers looking for a team and pay packet, without having to move home. Stands to reason that the smaller clubs in and around London pick up those excess players and actually perform above what would be their their natural status, based on attendances and local population. Given Luton and also QPR both had an unfair advantage by allowing a plastic pitch, which most probably assisted them in being more successful than they would otherwise have been, during the 70's and 80's, their most recent successful period, since which time they've spent in the 3rd 4th and 5th tiers of English football. 

Purely hypothetical I know but, if we were that bit closer to the capital, I'm pretty confident we'd have surpassed the likes of Fulham, Palace, QPR, let alone those on the periphery like Watford and Reading.

There is however one success Luton have had over us, which I don't think we could ever come near. That is, the most goals scored against one team in a football league match. Stand up and take a bow MR Joe Payne, for scoring 10 goals against Bristol Rovers in 1936. Luton Town and Joe Payne I salute you.

I don't think I have ever seen any other records regarding Joe Payne, but I have often wondered how many goals he scored in other games against them.

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think I have ever seen any other records regarding Joe Payne, but I have often wondered how many goals he scored in other games against them.

He only played about 119 games due to the WW2. Joe Payne (footballer, born 1914) - Wikipedia I note in the picture of him scoring one of "those goals" Bristol Rovers aren't wearing their famous quarters, perhaps they hadn't stolen them at that time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

He only played about 119 games due to the WW2. Joe Payne (footballer, born 1914) - Wikipedia I note in the picture of him scoring one of "those goals" Bristol Rovers aren't wearing their famous quarters, perhaps they hadn't stolen them at that time.

I have just looked too and discovered that it was his first senior game as a striker, until then he had played as a half back (defensive midfielder in current parlance)

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I have just looked too and discovered that it was his first senior game as a striker, until then he had played as a half back (defensive midfielder in current parlance)

Even better performance then. I shouldn't laugh really, but, what the hell.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I would add Clive Whitehead who, like Curle, played right wing, full back and  centre back. Though not all at once.?

I was upset when Whitehead stopped playing as a winger for us. Loved watching him skin a full-back. I recall him saying he'd had enough of being kicked all game, which full backs got away with in the 70s to be fair. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rich said:

I played on the plastic pitch at Kenilworth Road when they were still in the First Division.  It was awful.   Massive bounce and totally unpredictable as it had massive tears and divots in it everywhere.  Terrible skin rash if you ever attempted a slide tackle.  Made worse by the sand they spread on it in an effort to deaden the bounce.   Once was enough. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Even better performance then. I shouldn't laugh really, but, what the hell.

It's a record that I very much doubt will ever be beaten in mine or anyones lifetime, a very unwanted record which will give every city fan for all eternety something to laugh about.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I'd forgotten that story. I had a football book/mag with that game as a full page feature. I kept it for ages, it used to make me smile. 

16 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I played on the plastic pitch at Kenilworth Road when they were still in the First Division.  It was awful.   Massive bounce and totally unpredictable as it had massive tears and divots in it everywhere.  Terrible skin rash if you ever attempted a slide tackle.  Made worse by the sand they spread on it in an effort to deaden the bounce.   Once was enough. 

Fair play to you, was that in a professional capacity? I remember seeing games where the opposition were really struggling with the surface speed and bounce. Ok if you're used to playing on hard surfaces but the likes of Dave Rodgers had no chance.