IGNORED

Kal Naismith Signed (Official)

Lew-T

43 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

What? He's 30 not 36, if course he could of got a 3 year deal elsewhere

Personally I think that’s the reason we were able to sign him. I class three years a long term contract, and I don’t think a club of higher prestige or a club with better bargaining power in the transfer window would ever offer that type of deal for a player like Naismith. In my opinion it’s part of the ‘creativity’ Pearson commented we needed to deploy in the market, and a 3 year deal for a player in their 30s is as much of an educated risk as the signing* of the unproven Mark Sykes. You never know when a player is about to decline, but it almost always kicks in around now (Naismith’s age).

The signing is very good, maybe even excellent given our circumstances. But its still been agreed through compromises. He’s not here to do us a favour.  

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Quality signing. No idea why anyones moaning about the contract length, he’s 30 not 40.

More importantly, he's free. We lose nothing, there's no real risk.

Not exactly Nakhi mkII is it.

8 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Personally I think that’s the reason we were able to sign him. I class three years a long term contract, and I don’t think a club of higher prestige or a club with better bargaining power in the transfer window would ever offer that type of deal for a player like Naismith. In my opinion it’s part of the ‘creativity’ Pearson commented we needed to deploy in the market, and a 3 year deal for a player in their 30s is as much of an educated risk as the signing* of the unproven Mark Sykes. You never know when a player is about to decline, but it almost always kicks in around now (Naismith’s age).

The signing is very good, maybe even excellent given our circumstances. But its still been agreed through compromises. He’s not here to do us a favour.  

His availability record is the main reason. And he'll be a permanent fixture in our 18 man squad given his versatility.

30 is not old these days if a player looks after himself, especially at CB where you run less.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Apprehensive when I saw his age, but should Klose depart this could be an extremely good bit of business. Could bring that leadership and experience Klose had while being versatile and off the peak of his career.

Excited to see his run out in re season and where Nige sees him fit (multiple positions or not).

happy with that and love the Luton lot’s meltdown!

Random bit of info. In September 2010, Naismith and fellow Rangers player Kyle Hutton, were abducted in Edinburgh by two men and driven around the city in Hutton's car before they were dumped in the Niddrie area of Edinburgh. Naismith and Hutton were then mugged as the thieves stole the car. Later, both the thieves were convicted and prosecuted, and the car was retrieved.

To our Luton visitors, I mean absolutely no disrespect at all.

Kal has 3-4 years left, has upped his wages, moved to a club that had a bang up to date stadium, 20K regular home support and a brand new training centre which is state of the art ( your new stadium won't be ready in time for Kal), will be playing with his mate Williams in a stunning part of the country.

I appreciate Luton have won more than we ever have but, stadium including, we are ready in Kals available time frame, you won't be with all possible respect.

The other thing, he was free, not transferred from LTFC, that is NOT of our making.

See you next season!

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, Harry said:

I think the 30+, 3 year contract is a valid argument. As I’ve said earlier, I think he’s a solid enough player and I don’t see many options in the left back slot this summer so it’s a sensible signing. 
Would I prefer he was 27 on a 3 year deal. Absolutely. I generally don’t like us giving 3 years to 30+ year olds. It’s the type of transfer strategy that has us where we are at the moment, because they tend to be on the upper end of the wage scale, no resale value and more prone to hitting injuries and/or losing their legs. A couple of bad signings of that ilk and things can quickly go very wrong financially. And we are effing tight financially right now! 

Not saying that’ll happen in this case, but 30+ on 3 years is always a bit more risky. So it’s a valid argument. 

For what it’s worth, I’m usually wholly against such deals, but knowing where we are at the moment and that we’ll really only be able to tap into free agents this summer, it’s as sensible a signing in a position of need as we’re likely to get. 

He also comes across as a winner and has that winning mentality, I at least love the fact we are getting the right 'types' of players in now and changing the mentality/culture overall. Hopefully a few more fans are seeing the bigger picture and longterm changes that are/were needed to happen, and why Pearson is the right person to do that. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I think the 30+, 3 year contract is a valid argument. As I’ve said earlier, I think he’s a solid enough player and I don’t see many options in the left back slot this summer so it’s a sensible signing. 
Would I prefer he was 27 on a 3 year deal. Absolutely. I generally don’t like us giving 3 years to 30+ year olds. It’s the type of transfer strategy that has us where we are at the moment, because they tend to be on the upper end of the wage scale, no resale value and more prone to hitting injuries and/or losing their legs. A couple of bad signings of that ilk and things can quickly go very wrong financially. And we are effing tight financially right now! 

Not saying that’ll happen in this case, but 30+ on 3 years is always a bit more risky. So it’s a valid argument. 

For what it’s worth, I’m usually wholly against such deals, but knowing where we are at the moment and that we’ll really only be able to tap into free agents this summer, it’s as sensible a signing in a position of need as we’re likely to get. 

It’s hardly a Chris Brunt/Ashley Williams type signing though? Off the back of an excellent season, to me it’s low risk. If he was 29 and getting a 3 year deal the majority of people wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

Resale value is the only issue, but if wages are sensible and he can play like he did last season then we should be getting value for money on the pitch which makes it less of an issue.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

A bit salty on th eLuton forum ? - referring to OTIB:

It’s a wankathon over there about Kal. A journeyman for most of his career. 18 months under NJ and his team and has one decent season in probably 12 as a pro and they think they’ve signed Rio Ferdinand. The team that took Bakinson and ruined him and I noticed O’Dowda who they signed ahead of us has now left on a free.
8th is their best ever season in the championship under the playoff system. A nothing club that’s won **** all and never will.

Still have YOUR player though ????

10 hours ago, The Bard said:

New Rob Newman?

My first thought on seeing that list of positions played too.

I am however incredibly worried about this signing. 

Who knew that all it took to unite this board in unprecedented positivity was the signing of a 30 year old Scot from Luton Town, the worry is that when we agree collectively we don't have a great record on Managers or players. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

My first thought on seeing that list of positions played too.

I am however incredibly worried about this signing. 

Who knew that all it took to unite this board in unprecedented positivity was the signing of a 30 year old Scot from Luton Town, the worry is that when we agree collectively we don't have a great record on Managers or players. :)

For me this is very much a "fingers crossed" signing..?

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Random bit of info. In September 2010, Naismith and fellow Rangers player Kyle Hutton, were abducted in Edinburgh by two men and driven around the city in Hutton's car before they were dumped in the Niddrie area of Edinburgh. Naismith and Hutton were then mugged as the thieves stole the car. Later, both the thieves were convicted and prosecuted, and the car was retrieved.

That's a good night out in Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

It’s hardly a Chris Brunt/Ashley Williams type signing though? Off the back of an excellent season, to me it’s low risk. If he was 29 and getting a 3 year deal the majority of people wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

Resale value is the only issue, but if wages are sensible and he can play like he did last season then we should be getting value for money on the pitch which makes it less of an issue.

Agree. Who else who has just had a great season like he has, is proven at this level, as versatile, seems to have the right attitude for Pearson, and is available for the same overall cost of Naismith?

Blimey. Supporters getting a bit upset about an out of contract player getting himself a better deal than was being offered somewhere else.  What’s that all about? Clearly there is a misconception of what loyalty can be expected if your organization isn’t offering the market value for your work? 

12 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

To any Luton fan, stick this up your arse.

Poxy little club that plays in a shithole ground in a shithole town, who think their fans are something special

**** off back to non league and take that odious Welsh pixie manager of yours with you.

I’m sensing that you don’t have a lot of time for Luton. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

To our Luton visitors, I mean absolutely no disrespect at all.

Kal has 3-4 years left, has upped his wages, moved to a club that had a bang up to date stadium, 20K regular home support and a brand new training centre which is state of the art ( your new stadium won't be ready in time for Kal), will be playing with his mate Williams in a stunning part of the country.

I appreciate Luton have won more than we ever have but, stadium including, we are ready in Kals available time frame, you won't be with all possible respect.

The other thing, he was free, not transferred from LTFC, that is NOT of our making.

See you next season!

Blimey Ska. You’re being very respectful. Are LTFC supporters holding your wife and kids hostage at gunpoint? Blink twice for ‘yes’. ;)

• Haha 5