IGNORED

British hooligans at French ligue 1 match

Major Isewater

French football this season has been marred by incidents of players being attacked. Pretty sure a couple of Marseille games got stopped because of the violence the fans were causing. 

Seems to be a trend happening not just in England

• Like 4

My in-laws are all Lyon supporters, even the extended family apart from 1 cousin who for some reason went for their arch rivals, Les Verts

He will be livid with the result and embarassed by the aftermath. Saw him at Easter and when discussing their season so far, he'd said it had been crap and that they'd had crowd problems this season and it's brought more than a fair share of nutters out.

We briefly discussed the one thing City and SE have in common, Lois Diony. When i mentined him, he made a pucking noise, then went on a rant where i can only gather that he doesn;'t rate him and doesn't like his mother much either!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Surely there must have been British football hooligans at this crucial ligue 1 match . This sort of thing doesn’t happen in France… 

58B8754E-BDB3-4D49-AD52-89A7AFA76F22.jpeg
Talking of ‘ugly ‘ scenes on the pitch , congratulations to Pug for his promotion with Forest. 

Fucking animals.

Certainly not condoning what happened to Billy Sharp or the Aston Villa goalkeeper over here but i think the violence in France gives some sort of perspective that in actual fact things are a LOT worse on the continent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bris red said:

******* animals.

Certainly not condoning what happened to Billy Sharp or the Aston Villa goalkeeper over here but i think the violence in France gives some sort of perspective that in actual fact things are a LOT worse on the continent.

There's something in "France is ahead of the first world in all problems and behind in solving most of them".

They always seem to surface social problems 5/10 years before anyone else. If you want to see what most first world countries will be like in 5/10 years just look at France. Obviously policy can be changed to preempt the challenges in most cases but sometimes you need the problem to solve to justify the policy change.

7 hours ago, bris red said:

******* animals.

Certainly is yet more evidence that football hooliganism isn't - and never was - "the English disease".

I'd say it was invented in Scotland, refined in Italy and is now in its apogee in Argentina, Eastern Europe and parts of Africa. France looks like it's got a shout to be involved though!

21 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Certainly is yet more evidence that football hooliganism isn't - and never was - "the English disease".

I'd say it was invented in Scotland, refined in Italy and is now in its apogee in Argentina, Eastern Europe and parts of Africa. France looks like it's got a shout to be involved though!

I wondered how it actually started and found this on Wikipedia. I blame the Byzantines! And 70 year old drunk women! 

Violence generally associated with team sporting events and their outcomes possesses a documented history, going at least as far back as the Nika Riotsduring the Byzantine Empire.

The first instance of violence associated with modern team sports is unknown, but the phenomenon of football related violence can be traced back to 14th-century England. In 1314, Edward II banned football (at that time, a violent, unruly activity involving rival villages kicking a pig's bladder across the local heath) because he believed the disorder surrounding matches might lead to social unrest, or even treason.[8] According to a University of Liverpool academic paper, conflict at an 1846 match in Derby, England, required a reading of the riot act and two groups of dragoons to effectively respond to the disorderly crowd. This same paper also identified "pitch invasions" as a common occurrence during the 1880s in English football.[9]

The first recorded instances of football hooliganism in the modern game allegedly occurred during the 1880s in England, a period when gangs of supporters would intimidate neighbourhoods, in addition to attacking referees, opposing supporters and players. In 1885, after Preston North End beat Aston Villa 5–0 in a friendly match, both teams were pelted with stones, attacked with sticks, punched, kicked and spat at. One Preston player was beaten so severely that he lost consciousness and press reports at the time described the fans as "howling roughs".[8] The following year, Preston fans fought Queen's Park fans in a railway station—the first alleged instance of football hooliganism outside of a match. In 1905, a number of Preston fans were triedfor hooliganism, including a "drunk and disorderly" 70-year-old woman, following their match against Blackburn Rovers.[8]

Although instances of football crowd violence and disorder have been a feature of association football throughout its history[10] (e.g. Millwall's ground was reportedly closed in 1920, 1934 and 1950 after crowd disturbances), the phenomenon only started to gain the media's attention in the late 1950s due to the re-emergence of violence in Latin American football. In the 1955–56 English football season, Liverpool and Everton fans were involved in a number of incidents and, by the 1960s, an average of 25 hooligan incidents were being reported each year in England. The label "football hooliganism" first began to appear in the English media in the mid-1960s,[11] leading to increased media interest in, and reporting of, acts of disorder. It has been argued that this, in turn, created a 'moral panic' out of proportion with the scale of the actual problem.

9 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I wondered how it actually started and found this on Wikipedia. I blame the Byzantines! And 70 year old drunk women! 

Violence generally associated with team sporting events and their outcomes possesses a documented history, going at least as far back as the Nika Riotsduring the Byzantine Empire.

The first instance of violence associated with modern team sports is unknown, but the phenomenon of football related violence can be traced back to 14th-century England. In 1314, Edward II banned football (at that time, a violent, unruly activity involving rival villages kicking a pig's bladder across the local heath) because he believed the disorder surrounding matches might lead to social unrest, or even treason.[8] According to a University of Liverpool academic paper, conflict at an 1846 match in Derby, England, required a reading of the riot act and two groups of dragoons to effectively respond to the disorderly crowd. This same paper also identified "pitch invasions" as a common occurrence during the 1880s in English football.[9]

The first recorded instances of football hooliganism in the modern game allegedly occurred during the 1880s in England, a period when gangs of supporters would intimidate neighbourhoods, in addition to attacking referees, opposing supporters and players. In 1885, after Preston North End beat Aston Villa 5–0 in a friendly match, both teams were pelted with stones, attacked with sticks, punched, kicked and spat at. One Preston player was beaten so severely that he lost consciousness and press reports at the time described the fans as "howling roughs".[8] The following year, Preston fans fought Queen's Park fans in a railway station—the first alleged instance of football hooliganism outside of a match. In 1905, a number of Preston fans were triedfor hooliganism, including a "drunk and disorderly" 70-year-old woman, following their match against Blackburn Rovers.[8]

Although instances of football crowd violence and disorder have been a feature of association football throughout its history[10] (e.g. Millwall's ground was reportedly closed in 1920, 1934 and 1950 after crowd disturbances), the phenomenon only started to gain the media's attention in the late 1950s due to the re-emergence of violence in Latin American football. In the 1955–56 English football season, Liverpool and Everton fans were involved in a number of incidents and, by the 1960s, an average of 25 hooligan incidents were being reported each year in England. The label "football hooliganism" first began to appear in the English media in the mid-1960s,[11] leading to increased media interest in, and reporting of, acts of disorder. It has been argued that this, in turn, created a 'moral panic' out of proportion with the scale of the actual problem.

Exactly, and people think it all began in the 70s!

35 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

The greens and blues. I remember listening to a podcast about Byzantium and there were long sections on it. They were often used by different ruling factions to dominate the other and I think they potentially played a role in overthrowing a leader but it's ages since I listened to it. 

There's and article about it, but I just skimmed.  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/blue-versus-green-rocking-the-byzantine-empire-113325928/

Edited by Rebounder

22 minutes ago, Rebounder said:

The greens and blues. I remember listening to a podcast about Byzantium and there were long sections on it. They were often used by different ruling factions to dominate the other and I think they potentially played a role in overthrowing a leader but it's ages since I listened to it. 

There's and article about it, but I just skimmed.  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/blue-versus-green-rocking-the-byzantine-empire-113325928/

The trouble with the Greens is that, since they got bought out by King Godomar, there is no soul left in the club. 

• Like 1